Duty days

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CapnVegetto said:
Wow......exactly why I have no interest in ever flying a GV or something like that. I like being home and sleeping in my own bed too much.

I'll drive my little slowtation around and be happy. :) Just enough room to fit my Golf clubs :)

we would all love to stay home and get paid well!!

unfortunatly the smaller a/c dont pay great and the ones that do just dont seem to last too long!

Jetdriver69 said:
Believe it not, when I was flying heavies in the USAF we had a two pilot 16 hour crew duty day that was waiverable to 18 hours. Augmented crew duty was 24 hours with 26 waiverable. Did a few of those 24 hour days and yes it blew and no it wasn't during wartime, just flying trash. It was common practice to place the cruise b*tch up front for the NOPAC/NAT crossings while the PIC slept, especially if you had to do one or more air refuelings. I'm sure being the front of a G550 for 12 hours is much better than the front of a C-141 or C-5 for 16 hours and two refuelings. The comraderie of the military is better than the corporate world, but you don't get shot at and the hotels are much better.

jet

and you landed at an AirBase 18 hrs later. Perfect English, no handler, no customs, no passenger problems, no 3 hour wait trying to service an aircraft, no tracking down rides to hotels, etc.......

Staying awake in the airplane is not the hard part.

Long duty days are long duty days but comparing one in the mil to one in civ life is vastly different!

Fortunately, even though we are operating a G4, we have gotten our boss trained. It was difficult because he does know more than a little bit about aircraft and regulations. When we say No it means NO. So he doesn't normally ask us to go much beyond 10 hours of flight. He does from time to time, but it almost always isn't much beyond that.

The biggest issue under Part 91 is, 'Is it reasonable and prudent?'. Sometimes it can be a tough question to answer.

My boss told me that we are limited to 24 hours in a duty day. Then promptly took me off a flight because I wouldn't fly our be20 at 13600 lbs. Corporate can be a kick in the balls at times.

earl

earl said:
My boss told me that we are limited to 24 hours in a duty day. Then promptly took me off a flight because I wouldn't fly our be20 at 13600 lbs. Corporate can be a kick in the balls at times.

earl

Sounds like a tough guy to work for....as well as being not too discerning, when filling flight dept. job openings.

earl said:

earl

Start makin notes Dude, your gonna need a lawyer when they let you go.
I would also keep my FSDO # close by.

I've thought about leaving but I am trying to make it a better place. QOL is really good but I work for a guy with a GOD complex.

ear.

Hey Gulfstream 200, you obvisously don't know what you're talking about with regards to long haul military aviation. Less than half of my international trips were to "air bases". Try landing into Kigali, Rwanda with 200 people on board with zero support or fuel with piles of 1,000's of bodies near the active runway and wild dogs feasting on them. Or how about flying into Laos and being extorted at gunpoint for bribe money, I could go on and on and without the luxury of Universal handlers. Yes, we always had to clear customs, ag, etc. and we had the hassles of carrying large amounts of cash and weapons to protect it. Imagine trying to coordinate 300,000 lbs of fuel and a diplomatic clearance yourself in some foreign backwater with zero help or trying to get hotels for 20 crewmembers in Entebbe, Uganda at the last minute due to a broked*ck airplane. Yeah my heart bleeds for the long haul corporate guy.

aw crap there goes a perfectly good thread into a civi vs mili fight. I must have clicked on the fractional board.

oh by the way it's corporate aviation section. How the military does it really has no bearing here. nobody cares.

Latest resources

Back