Duty days

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G550Driver

Does anyone have any links to Recommeded crew duty day length and flight time limits?

With these new G550s our boss thinks we can basically fly 24 hours a day.

The pilots want to put a cap on duty day and flight times for the day but then our owner says "why did I buy a G550 if you guys can only fly it like the GIV?" "Doesn't it have a crew rest area?"

It's not pilots against owner we just need something to back us up. Our owner is a good guy he was just sold a really long flying airplane. Gulfstream sells these planes to the owners saying they can fly forever then we out here have to actually do the mission.

flightsafety.org will give you a good outline

Anything with more than 16hr duty day and 3 pilots is just plain brutal IMHO.

Most of the time the answer is just to crew-swap at a fuel stop if the boss cant get there in 16hrs duty.

The "crew rest area" is great to chill out and relax, but its not a hotel room substitute. It buys you a few hours - thats it.

Just another problem we don't have to deal with in our little jet at our little corp dept.

...sorry, have to get my digs in when I can.:)

Duty Time

It's not pilots against owner we just need something to back us up. Our owner is a good guy he was just sold a really long flying airplane. Gulfstream sells these planes to the owners saying they can fly forever then we out here have to actually do the mission.

Hmmm... that's the same sales pitch our owners were given too. But our DO basically told the owners that we will continue to fly it limited by 135 regs no matter what.

Capt601, thanks for that link, adding it to my favs. Btw, Give Garrett a hug 4 me.... least I won't get any scratch marks.. lol.

Gulfstream200's advice is correct. Add to that, a limit of 8 hours flight time for each pilot. Remember that these #'s are gleaned from pt. 135 regs. In a part 91 environment, it is, in spite of your claim to the contrary, pilots vs. owner.

Remind him of the federally mandated regs, and that they are a limit, not a target.

general guide: 2 guys up tp 10.5 flight 14 duty; 3 guys up to 16 flight 17 duty...seems to work in a 550....just don't do it everyday. and yes, 17 is brutal and not desireable. 14 flight and 16 duty is better. best to go with the FSF numbers. buy a sleeping bag for your crew rest area and change into comfy clothes when it's your turn. :)

ps: we don't do these ultra long range trips on a regular basis. they are infrequent and we would rotate the honor. easier to tolerate this way.

if you were doing them with regularity i would think you would want to repo or shorten times.

Last edited:
What fido said. Our SOP's are the same.TC

First of all thanks to everyone for the links.

We just did a trip that started in Bali, Indonesia with a stop for refuel in Dubai, UAE then on to Germany with three guys. (17.5 Hours flight time). We basically looked at each other after the flight and said "this is Bull*&#t!!! Let's just say three tired stinky guys!

We have a trip scheduled for Tel Aviv to Buenos Aires and we are all trying to take vacation.

Again, thanks for the help.

Latest resources

Back