DUI and the FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

viking737

Friend of mine got pulled over and charged with DUI last week. Refused the breath test and was held for 24 hrs.
Had another incident about 10 years ago, was aquitted at trial.
Is his medical in jeopardy?
I had always been told the FAA thinks 2 incidents in 5 years is bad, but he is kind of worried about it.
Anybody in the know?

Friend of mine got pulled over and charged with DUI last week. Refused the breath test and was held for 24 hrs.
Had another incident about 10 years ago, was aquitted at trial.
Is his medical in jeopardy?
I had always been told the FAA thinks 2 incidents in 5 years is bad, but he is kind of worried about it.
Anybody in the know?

Sounds like this is a trend item with your buddy. I think there are some deeper issues with his drinking and driving than worrying about his medical...i.e. hitting a family and killing them all because he's drunk and behind the wheel. :puke:

There is a ton of information on the web (Google)regarding this issue. Sounds as if he will loose his DL for sure and probably have a "admin" issue on his medical regardless of whether he gets a conviction on the DUI or not. The guy sounds like he is on a slippery slope if he plans on making aviation a career beyond his next trial.

I believe that a refusal to take a FST is an automatic one year suspension of the DL in most states. I don't know that you have to take it right there along side the road, but you do have to take there or back at the station.

All states laws differ greatly, some are very liberal with their dui laws and others are very conservative. Refusing a field sobriety test in many states does not count as an alcohol test "refusal." Most field sobriety tests are just an aid for the police officer in providing written evidence in his field report saying they suspect you may have been under the influence. The actual test that is going to determine if you really are under or over the legal limit is the breathalyzer or blood test. Refusing a breathalizer test is considered a test refusal and that is where many times the license suspension comes into play. I have a friend, a very close friend, not a "friend" that is dealing with a similar problem but it is his first offense. I've been in close contact with him mainly out of curiosity as to how his state handled him. He was injured in a car accident and taken to a hospital because of the injuries, there he was cited for dui but never had blood drawn. He could not refuse or even fail a breathalyzer because in his state they can only administer the test at the police station. Being injured basically stopped him from that. He said in his state had he failed the breath test it was an automatic 30 day drivers license revocation, if he refused the breath test it was a 180 suspension on the dl. Then FAR 61.15 comes into play. DUIs are a very touchy subject indeed and can start unreal arguments and battles between individuals. I dont want to start that at all as I did in previous threads but if the unfortnate happens you need to know your rights and what the consequences can be so that you can deal with the issue.

I believe if the FAA sees that you had a second moving violation involving alcohol, regardless of the time span between the offenses they typically want you to go through a an alcohol abuse evaluation. They may skip the evaluation completely and order you to go through a rehab program. A second offense to the FAA even over a long period of time shows repition and possible alcoholism but it is not a death sentence on your certificate. Second offense when trying to get another job may be a whole nother issue with a company but I have no idea about that.

I think but correct me if I am wrong that AOPA and many pilot unions have great drug and alchol liasons that can help guide you through the dealings of this subject with the FAA.

Go to aviationmedicine.com and use the search function, type in DUI, you will get some links with great info on first and second time offenses and other issues concerning dui and the faa.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Friend of mine...refused breath test...Had another incident about 10 years ago, was aquitted at trial...Is his medical in jeopardy?

I thought that is someone refuses a breathalyzer test (or a blood test) he or she is “admitting” to DUI as far as sentencing goes. Am I wrong?

If so, the FAA will need to be notified for sure.

You need to stop drinking!

Sorry, I meant your friend…;)

My reg book is a bit out of date, but Part 61 does not change much, and it applies to ALL airmen:

Refusal to submit to an alcohol test.

(Paraphased) A refusal to submit to a test to indicate the percentage of alcohol in the blood, when requested by a law enforcemrnt officer....is grounds for:
a) Denial of an application for any certificate.....
b) Suspension or revocation of any certificate, rating or authorization issued under this part.

I think your friend is hosed...

Hopefully your friend learned a valuable lesson here. Here is what I think you are looking for.

As far as the reporting requirements are concerned the FAA is not necessarily concerned with if your convicted or not, what they are interested in is called a MVA. A MVA under 61.15 is defined as:

(1) A conviction after November 29, 1990, for the violation of any Federal or State statute relating to the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated by alcohol or a drug, while impaired by alcohol or a drug, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug;
(2) The cancellation, suspension, or revocation of a license to operate a motor vehicle after November 29, 1990, for a cause related to the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated by alcohol or a drug, while impaired by alcohol or a drug, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug; or
(3) The denial after November 29, 1990, of an application for a license to operate a motor vehicle for a cause related to the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated by alcohol or a drug, while impaired by alcohol or a drug, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.

Since your friend refused to blow I am assuming that his/her driver's license was automatically suspended. This means that your friend should fill out the form found on the FAA's webpage found (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...8AA3DA48F06E5&jsessionid=f8302abc3f20d1032501) and mail it in to fulfill the reporting requirements of 61.15. Now.... this is important. If your friend is convicted they have to fill out the same form checking the appropriate boxes and mail it in. These are considered two seperate MVA's but since they are related do not apply to the 2 MVAs in 3 years rule. I think certified mail is a must here. As long as your friend has not has 2 unrelated MVAs in 3 years their pilot's license is safe. Assuming that they send in the reports. Failing to report can result in enforcement action, up suspension of all certificates.

Now for the medical. This is a tricky question. The FAA typically gives pilots one get out of jail free card. The question on the medical application is "History of (1) any convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug; or (2) history of any convictions or administrative action(s) involving an offense(s) which resulted in the denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation or driving privileges or which resulted in attendance at an educational or a rehabilitation program"

IF your friends license was suspended 10 years ago, or if they had to attend some counter attack classes in order to get the sentence reduced to something besides DUI, OR they took his/her license as part of a administrative action (usually the DMV control's license's not the court) then your friend should have been checking yes to this box for the last 10 years. And has all sorts of problems on his/her hands. If none of that occurred then this would be considered the 1st conviction and/or administrative action and would fall under the "FAA gives you one get out of jail free card."

I agree with the trend that your friend is setting being worrisome. But I don't know your friend so I can not talk about what may be best for him/her.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back