Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DR is Back!? ASA hiring department back?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've had plenty of "real" jobs, most of them five times worse than ASA, and it still pisses me off to get extended. If I wanted to be screwed with at work, I would go back to those "real" jobs. Instead, I would like to do my job, and OCCASIONALLY help out when things get tight. This every week bullsh!t needs to STOP!! Don't pick anything up for time and a half, you will be extended, and you will not be paid fairly. ASA is losing its biggest resource, and thats a motivated work force. I'm gonna make my life as easy as possible, scheduling be damned.

So I heard in recurrent that 90% of fatigue calls are coming from pilots under the age of 30. I didn't realize they track these stats but, if true, what is this, a generational thing? Is the entitlement generation not getting the love they need to carry on? Here, I'll say it so that you guys feel better; We appreciate all that you do.
I am under 30. I've worked over a dozen different jobs in my "young punk" life to make ends meat. I worked 9 of those jobs through college, mostly with a full course load. Day shifts, night shifts, indoor, outdoor, physical labor, desk...you name it. I did anything necessary to support myself.

The highlight? Well, this one time, I got a beer bottle thrown at my crotch while I was dressed like a chicken in the Florida heat trying to coax customers into a Pollo Tropical (a-hole had great aim from a moving car, btw). In a split second, motorists witnessed a human-sized chicken (once standing tall and proud) collapse into a yellow ball of feathers on a 95 degree sidewalk. About 45 minutes later, I had a gun in my face because my store was being robbed. Two hours after that, I was taking a Calculus II midterm.

Fast forward 8 years: I still work hard. I earn my paycheck, and then some. I work for a "super" regional airline. Yet, I am still treated with the same respect as that fast-food, roadside chicken. I've worked to the point of physical and mental collapse in past jobs. I know what fatigue is---but I don't want to approach that personal limit with passengers in the back, let alone a multi-million dollar aircraft. I just won't do it. It's not worth bodily harm or my career.

I refuse to put my neck on the line for the deficiencies of others. My dignity may have died along US-1 that hot Miami day, but my work ethic didn't. They can properly staff the airline. "90% of the fatigue calls are coming from pilots under the age of 30"...BITE ME.

So I heard in recurrent that 90% of fatigue calls are coming from pilots under the age of 30. I didn't realize they track these stats but, if true, what is this, a generational thing? Is the entitlement generation not getting the love they need to carry on? Here, I'll say it so that you guys feel better; We appreciate all that you do.

The majority of fatigue calls are from pilots on reserve-perhaps most of them are under 30?

Many of the pilots from this last award are only NOW getting on line. It's taken forever to get them up and running- mostly because the majority of the resources have been utilized to train up furloughs and get the First Officer ranks (which were leaner) back to par.

Help is on the way, it's just slow to get through the system. And yes, they should have started it sooner, but they didn't. Nobody likes getting extended- it sux, I get it. However, I'm hopeful a "DO NOT EXTEND ME EVER" list is on the way with some extra cash for those of us that do.

It's good though that the upgrades are rolling- not bad for one award. I'm pretty sure we've got others on the way. With what's there now FO wise, as well as the Captains that are just finishing up, the training department should be pretty much at max speed.

I'm still confident more flying is on the way. Only question is for whom. The FAA was one of the sources I was referring to and my source of information as well. Pretty funny that one comes up from another pilot here too. Where there's smoke......

Heard more 700's on the way, resulting in the need for approximately 250ish pilots needed. Heard this from sources outside the company, as well as from some of the "higher ups" as well. From what I understand, none of them are Mesa airframes or from Comair. Many are from an airline out west that has recently slimmed down to stricktly turbo props, and renegotiated their business agreement with Alaska. Hmmmmmm- makes you think!

My buddy got out of a LOFT and saw DR and 4 guys waiting on an interview sim ride. The buzz that day at Flight Safety was that ASA is hiring 125 pilots! I hope this is true.

Younger pilots don't have the "routine" that old pilots have. We live on the edge, we live it up every now and then, we fight women off left and right and to continue that fight we work out in the gym more than old fogies. Those who workout require exponential amounts of sleep compared to an "old guy." How much sleep do you think you'd need after a chest/tricep workout and a later 6 mile run?

I know a pilot who flies 1000 hours a year. He had excellent attendance, 140 hours of sick time and on his first fatigue call he was called into the CPO and given a 19a hearing. Not everyone is abusing fatigue and age should not be a discrimination. The company is playing hard ball in this issue. If you're fatigued then call in fatigued.

The highlight? Well, this one time, I got a beer bottle thrown at my crotch while I was dressed like a chicken in the Florida heat trying to coax customers into a Pollo Tropical (a-hole had great aim from a moving car, btw). In a split second, motorists witnessed a human-sized chicken (once standing tall and proud) collapse into a yellow ball of feathers on a 95 degree sidewalk. About 45 minutes later, I had a gun in my face because my store was being robbed. Two hours after that, I was taking a Calculus II midterm.

That's quite the day you had
Always stand tall and proud no matter what you do

Great story flyboy. I too served time within the sweatbox that is a giant Mouse. Inside was ALWAYS dripping with sweat from the last guy that wore it, and children constantly hit me in the nards. Good times!!

Filled out the application and the reply said they weren't hiring.

Call and ask for pilot recruiting. They will steer you right.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back