• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JT12345

Don't bother getting a B737 type rating - 1000 PIC B737 Captain turned away

SWA is turning away pilots with 1000+
PIC in the B737. At a job fair they told them they were not competitive.

There are a lot of 737 Captains on the street, and even 737 Captains at other companies looking to get out.

Don't waste your money. Atleast not now. As of now only one company in the world that I know of takes the B737 type rating without time in type - left seat, and they are not in the U.S.

Last edited:
I still can't believe they are telling pilots with 1000 in the left seat of the 737 they are not competitive. I am checking on it. I hope it was for Captains with less than 1000. lol

Not True. I know a couple of buds who are in the left seat and current on the 737NG, one of whom has over 1000 hours in the left seat and one below 1000 hours, that have interviewed at SWA within the last month.

So there! :smash:

They were turning away guys with PIC experience in the B737 at the Pan'AM job fair this week. So the qualifications a week ago or a month ago don't seem to be holding up.

I didn't witness this myself. I wasn't there. Makes sense though. There are lots of B737 Captains looking for work employed or unemployed.

By the way the 1000+ PIC was Flamebait, lol. I don't know the B737 Captain that I heard that got turned away. I don't know his time in the left seat of the B737. I will try to find out.

Last edited:
They were turning away guys with PIC experience in the B737 at the Pan'AM job fair this week. So the qualifications a week ago or a month ago don't seem to be holding up.

I didn't witness this myself. I wasn't there. Makes sense though. There are lots of B737 Captains looking for work employed or unemployed.

I see your point but it doesn't sound like SWA's style.

There's thread around here someplace where 328dude spells out what your qualifications will do for you in the eyes of the SWA people Dept. I'll see if I can find it...... (his post's regarding SWA employment have always been spot on).

Don't let the rumors eat away at you.......

OK Tanker Clown your turn to take the stage and remind us again about your imminent furlough theory's at SWA again.....:laugh:

SWA said at the job fair, that they don't want to hire every 737 captain out there because they want a good mix from experienced 737 drivers all they down to RJ guys/gals. They compare RJ guys to RJ guys, National guys to national guys, and so on.

Latest resources

Back