• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't bother getting a B737 type rating - B737 Captains turned away

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your own experience notwithstanding, they've hired CAL pilots before and they'll hire more. As long as D.L. and other CAL types (probably you!) don't try to screw things up for them.

BTW: I'll be the first to admit they wouldn't hire me.

Huh? How'd you get anything concerning CAL from my post? The yellow lanyard is a reference to, well I can't say, they might sue me.

Oops, I've said too much. Gotta go!

SWA is turning away pilots with 1000+
PIC in the B737. At a job fair they told them they were not competitive.

There are a lot of 737 Captains on the street, and even 737 Captains at other companies looking to get out.

Don't waste your money. Atleast not now. As of now only one company in the world that I know of takes the B737 type rating without time in type - left seat, and they are not in the U.S.

IF they like you, they will hire you; IF they do not, they will not hire you. It is all about the personality or the lack there of. Peace!

That works more than one way...I know of a major butthole that made life for about 1200 pilots hell for a few years and SWA hired him. I am pretty sure Ben Stillers character in Dodge Ball was based on this guy. Identical match!
Let me guess-he was from MAG? If so, he's at it again at WN-LOL......

Drop and give me 25!

I started a count of the number of times they mentioned the phrase "737 type" at that fair.

I stopped counting after 10.

What F-ING bs. Pick the best guys for the job and then if you're going to force them to pay for their own training when you're making millions, make them get it after they get the job.

Quit interviewing guys who were either lucky to have it from their old job or who took out a loan from daddy for it.

Pick the furloughed Midwest pilots, pick the guy who's been busting his arse at the regionals but has a mortgage and 2 kids and no 7 extra grand lying around to blow on just the chance at the most competitive job environment in a long time.

While I totally understand where you are coming from, SWA does not hire out of compasion for your individual situation. In fact, the more bitter your past, the less likely you will get hired. It is what it is. I bought a type when I did not have the funds to get one. I knew that was the only way to get noticed. Something else, the type just gets you noticed...it does not get you hired. If you don't have a type you kinda have to wait for a hiring cycle when not enough guys with types are applying. Right now the economy is tanked and there is a surplus of pilots on the street. They can get very picky and they are, yet just two years ago they hired a ton of guys without a type. Timing is everything. When one guy gets furloghed it means the market is already saturated.

Gup, the sterotype is in your head and the chip is on your elitist (my way was better) shoulder. I was never a colonel. or kernal. But thanks for your concern. You are the man!

Like Gup said, the type just gets you noticed. I don't see any real connection with the background. If they hired me, it must not matter where you come from. If you have the basic quals, its all about your attitude and interview after that. A little luck doesn't hurt either I guess. IMHO

Latest resources

Back