• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does ATC get pissed???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Believe ATC when they tell you something. A few years ago I was landing at CSG with a 727-200 full with football player, fans, friends, and cheerleaders. I turned about a 3 mile final to follow a Baron on a mile final. The Baron was getting instruction and the flight instructor was handling the radios. The tower told him that they needed to land and turn off at X intersection traffic on short final. The Baron replied they would try but since they were cleared to land they technically had the whole runway to use. The tower again requested that they land and turn off at X intersection. The Baron replied that they would try but noted that the whole runway was theirs. They landed and missed the intersection, then they proceeded to do a 180 degree turn to taxi back to the intersection. At that point the controller go real mad, I was already spooling up my engines as I knew I was going to have to go around. When the Baron finished the 180 on the runway his windshield was full of a 727 all lights on and a lot of black smoke as I was spooling up for the go around. The Baron taxied off the runway through the ditch and to the nearest taxiway. We all laughed as the controller chewed out the instructor pilot, had they even continued to the end there would have been plenty of room, but no "the runway was all theirs-technically???"

Ha ha, good thing that you were spooling up. I learned real early not to count on a 727 going around from short final without some warning! I always answer the city owns the runway, and I schedule it's use... :D

I also should have added, regarding my original post, that the kind of radar display matters as well. I have an ARTS keyboard associated with every DBRITE. But some small towers just have a small display; some with alphanumerics, (tags), some without. Some will have a keyboard so they can initiate tracks and modify tags, some won't.

User997 said:
You mean that's still used as an active runway?!!? :eek: I better stop using that as a taxi-in to the ramp!

what 13/31??

they use it from time to time

i think i used it a couple of times as the only runway

Last edited:
Kream926 said:
what 13/31?? they use it from time to time. i think i used it a couple of times as the only runway
Yea 13/31. I had to actually get out the airport diagram to note what runway that was, cause I had never thought about it before.

That 2,800 ft runway doesn't do us a whole lot of good! We're landing either north or south, stiff crosswind or not!

the planes i fly can land nicely in a 600-700 foot strip;)

Latest resources

Back