Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
You're doing touch & go's at a towered field. From what I've been taught, this is basically the correct call-up on downwind:

"XXX tower, Cherokee 1234 is midfield, downwind, 33, for the option". If we've been told to fly right traffic, that gets added too. I timed myself, it takes a whole 4 seconds to say.

But from what I've heard from others, ATC gets annoyed??? I mean:

"Cherokee 1234 is midfield" ---No sh*t!!!

"Downwind" ---Really??? Next time request the option on climbout!!!

"33" --- Wow!!! That's the runway I told you to use!!!

They claimed saying "Cherokee 1234, for the option", is all you have to say.
What do you think???

I've also heard ATC give pilots some rather long departure instructions, to which is replied with "Yeah, we'll do all that". So I think this may be a fine line....

Depends on the field and if you have been flying the pattern on the same flight. "XXX Tower, Cherokee 1234, right midfield downwind 33, request option" should be plenty, and with a smile you can get it out in 4 seconds.

If it is busy, then you can condense it, especially if you have been in the pattern requesting the same thing repeatedly i.e. "Tower, Cherokee 1234 request option."

Much depends on the amount of traffic. Of course if you switched to cessnas, the call would be even more quick.

UnAnswerd said:
I've also heard ATC give pilots some rather long departure instructions, to which is replied with "Yeah, we'll do all that". So I think this may be a fine line....

Just remember to read back any specific instructions that may be unique. We have a lot of helo operations, and often we are told "Cherokee 123 cleared for immediate takeoff, no turns 'till the west bank of the river." The Tower is expecting us to read back the specifics about "no turns 'till the west bank" or on entering the pattern from the south, since the helo's work south of the field at 600' agl', we are often told to "enter the right downwind at or above 1000', report the right midfield downwind". The Tower is expecting us to repeat back the unique transimission of "at or above 1000'".

Fly_Chick said:
Just remember to read back any specific instructions that may be unique.

Yeah, I've been guilty of failing to read back specific information. They don't like it! The worst is when you switch your call-sign on them!!!

You might consider that the controller's clearance for your T&G *should* include specific runway information. If that is the case, then stating where you are may indeed be wasting breath... however I have never done T&Gs at a towered airport busy enough for them to care.

ALWAYS verify the runway, traffic patterns are very simple as long as effective communication takes place....

They are probably getting annoyed because there is no reason to call on each downwind...they will call YOU and clear you for the option.

Most places I get "report midfield". I will just say "xxx is midfield". They'll give you the rest. I've never given them all that while in the pattern.

The towered fields I fly in don't expect you to report any of your legs - unless of course specifically requested by the controller.

Since it's controlled, and their managing traffic, they will know where your at 99.9% of the time. The only thing you need to worry about flying at a controlled field is making sure you have your landind clearance before getting on short final. Other then that, don't sweat it! When the airports busy with a lot of traffic, it's not good practice to tie up the frequency with unnecessary callouts.

And if they do request it, keep it simple: "Cherokee XXX, right downwind 17."

Latest resources

Back