• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Does ATC get pissed???

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
You're doing touch & go's at a towered field. From what I've been taught, this is basically the correct call-up on downwind:

"XXX tower, Cherokee 1234 is midfield, downwind, 33, for the option". If we've been told to fly right traffic, that gets added too. I timed myself, it takes a whole 4 seconds to say.

But from what I've heard from others, ATC gets annoyed??? I mean:

"Cherokee 1234 is midfield" ---No sh*t!!!

"Downwind" ---Really??? Next time request the option on climbout!!!

"33" --- Wow!!! That's the runway I told you to use!!!

They claimed saying "Cherokee 1234, for the option", is all you have to say.
What do you think???

I've also heard ATC give pilots some rather long departure instructions, to which is replied with "Yeah, we'll do all that". So I think this may be a fine line....

Fly_Chick

Total Time
~1300
Depends on the field and if you have been flying the pattern on the same flight. "XXX Tower, Cherokee 1234, right midfield downwind 33, request option" should be plenty, and with a smile you can get it out in 4 seconds.

If it is busy, then you can condense it, especially if you have been in the pattern requesting the same thing repeatedly i.e. "Tower, Cherokee 1234 request option."

Much depends on the amount of traffic. Of course if you switched to cessnas, the call would be even more quick.

Fly_Chick

Total Time
~1300
UnAnswerd said:
I've also heard ATC give pilots some rather long departure instructions, to which is replied with "Yeah, we'll do all that". So I think this may be a fine line....
Just remember to read back any specific instructions that may be unique. We have a lot of helo operations, and often we are told "Cherokee 123 cleared for immediate takeoff, no turns 'till the west bank of the river." The Tower is expecting us to read back the specifics about "no turns 'till the west bank" or on entering the pattern from the south, since the helo's work south of the field at 600' agl', we are often told to "enter the right downwind at or above 1000', report the right midfield downwind". The Tower is expecting us to repeat back the unique transimission of "at or above 1000'".

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Fly_Chick said:
Just remember to read back any specific instructions that may be unique.
Yeah, I've been guilty of failing to read back specific information. They don't like it! The worst is when you switch your call-sign on them!!!

Immelman

Total Time
You might consider that the controller's clearance for your T&G *should* include specific runway information. If that is the case, then stating where you are may indeed be wasting breath... however I have never done T&Gs at a towered airport busy enough for them to care.

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
Total Time
ALWAYS verify the runway, traffic patterns are very simple as long as effective communication takes place....

Vandal

Total Time
They are probably getting annoyed because there is no reason to call on each downwind...they will call YOU and clear you for the option.

minitour

Vandal said:
They are probably getting annoyed because there is no reason to call on each downwind...they will call YOU and clear you for the option.
Not necessarily

BE200Driver

Total Time
Most places I get "report midfield". I will just say "xxx is midfield". They'll give you the rest. I've never given them all that while in the pattern.

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Total Time
+1500
The towered fields I fly in don't expect you to report any of your legs - unless of course specifically requested by the controller.

Since it's controlled, and their managing traffic, they will know where your at 99.9% of the time. The only thing you need to worry about flying at a controlled field is making sure you have your landind clearance before getting on short final. Other then that, don't sweat it! When the airports busy with a lot of traffic, it's not good practice to tie up the frequency with unnecessary callouts.

And if they do request it, keep it simple: "Cherokee XXX, right downwind 17."

viper548

Total Time
When I was the only one in the pattern, sometimes i'd get "cleared for the option until further notice"

moxiepilot

Florida Pimp
Total Time
24/7
I always liked the tower call, " cleared to do whatever you want whichever runway you want for a little while, mmm k?"

pilotmiketx

Registerd User
Total Time
oodles
minitour said:
Not necessarily
No, you should keep your pie-hole shut unless there is some sort of necessary information that needs to be transmitted. Too many pilots get diarrhea of the mouth. If you don't get any specific instructions on how to fly your pattern, or a sequence (i.e. "extend your downwind to follow a 757, caution wake turbulence" or "keep your speed up as long as practical, traffic to follow is a T-38 on a 3 mile final") then you just fly your pattern (quietly) as you normally would.

If you don't have a landing clearance by the time you're about 1/4 mile out, ask or verify. Always read back the landing clearance and runway.

The exception is if the tower has some local procedure that you should follow. For example, if it is SOP to report midfield or "abeam the numbers", then you should do that. How do I know if this airport has a local procedure? You'll be instructed by the tower, usually on the first trip around the pattern.

The important thing to remember is the microphone in the airplane is for important communications necessary to flight safety. It is not for asking for "Wind checks" or asking "any traffic in the area please advise"...I should quit, I feel a rant coming on...

OneBadLT123

Total Time
24/7
the airport i usually fly in, we usually call tower 10 miles out for inbound(duh thats a given) and we report 2 mile downwind. Usually past midfield they usually "cleared for the option" and we tell them inbound for touch and goes then or when we report for final.

If they need us to extend downwind, they usually tell us before we turn base. They seem to keep up with it usually. Although the biggest plane that comes in is the mesaba S340.

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
UnAnswerd said:
Does ATC get pissed???
Who cares...sometimes you just have to push back...just on "general principal". You'll know when and where, once you got some time under your belt.

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Total Time
When I was the only one in the pattern, sometimes i'd get "cleared for the option until further notice"
user youll know what im talkin about

i got one of these one time doing my night currency

i got a cleared to land any runaway untill further notice, i was the only one and winds were calm

took off 1L to a kinda left base for 13 s&g to a right downwind for 1R then did a left pattern back to 1L.

some of the guys in the tower are nice to talk to when no one is around

when i did all my night solo stuff in the pattern i would be the only one on freq untill the top of each hour. he'd get hella busy then we'd be back to our convos. someday i wanna meet those people before my reign <sp> in oklahoma is over

Last edited:

minitour

pilotmiketx said:
The exception is if the tower has some local procedure that you should follow. For example, if it is SOP to report midfield or "abeam the numbers", then you should do that. How do I know if this airport has a local procedure? You'll be instructed by the tower, usually on the first trip around the pattern.
...that was exactly my point.

-mini

Vector4fun

Total Time
Really, it depends on the Tower. At my facility, I've got three DBRITEs and a CONRAC in the Tower cab. If the radar's working, I KNOW where you are in the pattern. If I need a report, I'll ask for one, otherwise, there's simply no reason for you to report each downwind or base.

On the other hand, at a small tower without any BRITE or other radar display, it's very easy to loose sight of a white Cherokee in the haze, (especially if you're flying a Boeing sized pattern), and it's a good idea to have the pilot report midfield downwind or each base so you keep situational awareness in the Tower.

Student pilots seldom irritate me if I know they are one. It's the 50 yr old guy in the Baron who still doesn't know how to operate VFR at a controlled field that puts an edge in my voice....

Laxman

Total Time
Its also SA for fellow pilots. If I know where you are based on your radio call, helps me find you in a hurry if I need to look for you cause I think you are going to be a conflict.

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Total Time
+1500
Kream926 said:
user youll know what im talkin about
You mean that's still used as an active runway?!!? :eek: I better stop using that as a taxi-in to the ramp!

Two years of flying in and out of that airport, I've never seen or heard that runway being used! Well, next time I come head to head with you on that runway, I'll wave excitedly, knowing its ole Kream aboard!