Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does Air Tranny Still have SIC's on Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny, you don't seem to have a clue why some of us call you guys "Co-Captains".

Part of the reason is that we had to deal with a bunch of crusty old scabs who were so inept that they always flew the outbound leg, made all the announcements, and basically treated FO's like they were inexperienced clods . . . . and we vowed we wouldn't do that to our fellow pilots . . . . I even had one of these jackholes start pushing off the gate while I was still in the lav.

Regardless of what the Company is paying you, the crap the Scheduling is throwing at you, or the amount of time it will be until there is a seat for you to upgrade to, we're trying to show that we still respect the job that you do. Hey, if you want to be called "First Officer", by all means. You can do all your own f@cking walk-arounds, too.. . . . no skin off my @ss. :laugh:

PS, this rant wasn't directed at you, XRME, but this part is: There is such a thing as a Co-Captain. It's pretty common in corporate jet flying. You are both PIC current and qualified. When you fly with another Captain, you trade legs, and trade seats. While the guy in the left seat is the PIC, you are both Co-Captains.

Last edited:
Well you see many of our captains are tards.. Most are awesome but we have a larger than normal level of tards so to make it up to us FOs many call us Co-cpt or Cpts. Thinking this will some how appease our low pay and treatment at Airtran.

That reminds me what a friend told me after I upgraded, "not all a$$holes are in the left seat".

Which aircraft type would likely be junior if you start hiring again? Are you adding any aircraft this year or next?

To call a true SIC a Co Captain is like some politically correct BS.

Also if the SIC's are only getting yearly checkrides >> you could hardly call them Captains.

Funny, you don't seem to have a clue why some of us call you guys "Co-Captains".

Part of the reason is that we had to deal with a bunch of crusty old scabs who were so inept that they always flew the outbound leg, made all the announcements, and basically treated FO's like they were inexperienced clods . . . . and we vowed we wouldn't do that to our fellow pilots . . . . I even had one of these jackholes start pushing off the gate while I was still in the lav.

Regardless of what the Company is paying you, the crap the Scheduling is throwing at you, or the amount of time it will be until there is a seat for you to upgrade to, we're trying to show that we still respect the job that you do. Hey, if you want to be called "First Officer", by all means. You can do all your own f@cking walk-arounds, too.. . . . no skin off my @ss. :laugh:

PS, this rant wasn't directed at you, XRME, but this part is: There is such a thing as a Co-Captain. It's pretty common in corporate jet flying. You are both PIC current and qualified. When you fly with another Captain, you trade legs, and trade seats. While the guy in the left seat is the PIC, you are both Co-Captains.

Thanks Ty. You're right. Every FO at AirTran was in the left seat at some point in their flying careers. Co-Captain is an appropriate term.

Which aircraft type would likely be junior if you start hiring again? Are you adding any aircraft this year or next?
As of right now, zero planned deliveries in 2010 and 5 planned for 2011 (starting in Q2 2011). 737 is going senior to 717 right now in both seats. However, the next newhires could go to either airplane depending on whether current 717 FOs bid future vacancies in the 737 FO seat.

Of course with the amount of money that Airtran is making in 2009 and the opportunity to continue strengthening an already profitable hub in MKE, aircraft deliveries could start quicker if the right deal is out there. You know Airtran typically doesn't pay alot for anything (including flight crews).

To call a true SIC a Co Captain is like some politically correct BS.

Also if the SIC's are only getting yearly checkrides >> you could hardly call them Captains.

I'll call it as I see fit. If the FO says, Would you mind calling me a First Office in your PA?, that's fine. That's between him and me. Are you at AirTran? What do you care?

Shouldn't you be in a nursing home, Pops? 'bout time for your Metamucil? How about a nice warm cup of STFU?

Last edited:

I always took it as a compliment and show of support. How anyone would find that offensive is beyond me. I know that going back to right seat after 11 years in the left was an adjustment, but feeling respected and appreciated by the guys I flew with helped considerably. I only flew with a couple tard Capt's before furlough, 99% of them were great.

Ty you are one funny mofo, I always enjoy your posts.

Latest resources

Back