Does a Masters Degree help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reason why the degree

oh boy! the some one took the college bait. The reason everyone getting hired has a degree, is because almost everyone applying has a degree. If 95% of the piltots applying have a BS, and 94% of the jobs go to college grads, then the odds of being hired actually lean toward the non-degreed pilot. If you want to be a pilot fly airplanes build time, it will be a better use of your money. Do the degree on the side if you feel it is needed to get the dream interview.

Last edited:
Where is Bobby when you really need him to keep it going? Bring back the good ole days.

pilotyip said:
oh boy! the some one took the college bait. The reason everyone getting hired has a degree, is because almost everyone applying has a degree. If 95% of the piltots applying have a BS, and 94% of the jobs go to college grads, then the odds of being hired actually lean toward the non-degreed pilot. If you want to be a pilot fly airplanes build time, it will be a better use of your money. Do the degree on the side if you feel it is needed to get the dream interview.

oh boy...i take it all back..he really DID mean it. yank is right :)

yip- get with the times mon.

Last edited:
I would venture a guess that anything you can do to stand-out from the other candidates would be helpful.

Improving ones self is almost always a good idea. I certainly dont advocate buying a 737 type-rating with the hopes of getting an interview with Southwest (in my opinion, thats an awfully expensive lottery ticket) -- but a masters degree might have a number of benefits.

At the very least it might open doors to you that are outside of aviation. If the last 4 years haven't convinced everyone that plan "B" is a necessity... well, i'm not sure what will.

Unfortunately, starting a masters degree just isn't as easy as writing a check and going to class. You have to take that GMAT and go through the stress of waiting to be accepted into a program again.

That GMAT is not the easiest thing around for those of us who have been out of school for 10 years or so. Clearing out the cobwebs is easier said than done.

I'm studying GMAT for Dummies right now. So i'm obviously in the "go for it" crowd. Good luck!

pilotyip said:

My guess would be that the non-degreed pilots have much more flight time/better experience, or something else to compensate for their lack of degree.

The E-Train said:
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site, so bear with me?

I was just curious if a master's degree helps at all in hiring decisions by airlines? Just a quick thought

Thanks,

E-Train

If you are accepted to a program or are attracted to higher education, by all means RUN,,,dont walk, RUN to that. If you have a Masters you can get a job making 40 to 60,000 in a week. Not great I know , but survivable, it is a great trump to have in the back pocket, especially in this industry. Use this time of aviation disaster to create a back-up plan. Good thinkin bud.

viper548 said:
My guess would be that the non-degreed pilots have much more flight time/better experience, or something else to compensate for their lack of degree.

Yeah crappier jobs in aviation. They are looked at as morons from the time they walk thru the front door. I'm not saying this is right. I have ONE bud who made it to DTW (majors) without college.

I am considering going for an MBA soon.... will it get me a flying job? Probably not. Will it get me a job with my own business that I can wrangle into owning/operating an eclipse jet or some other nice toy? Well, probably not either.. but it makes the odds of that happening a hell of a lot higher, and I'd like it to happen someday. Go for your masters if that's what you're inclined to do.

I wonder though, does a masters get "stale" if you dont use those skills and knowlege? Is a masters you earned 10 years ago worth anything today?

Latest resources

Back