Does a Masters Degree help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The E-Train

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site, so bear with me?

I was just curious if a master's degree helps at all in hiring decisions by airlines? Just a quick thought

Thanks,

E-Train

The E-Train said:

I was just curious if a master's degree helps at all in hiring decisions by airlines? Just a quick thought

Thanks,

E-Train

I doubt it.

A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. 172 of the 177 airlines hiring do not make a BS a hard requirement

Last edited:
I'll convince myself that it is when I interview with CAL Tuesday. What the heck, too much education can't hurt, although it may not have mattered for SWA! If you haev aspirations for higher education, go for it!

pilotyip said:
A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Only 172 of the 177 airlines hiring even make a BS a requirement

I see you are still using that stupid logic. Yea, some of them have very low time requirements, too. That doesn't mean anyone with those qualifications are actually getting HIRED.

See what the percentage is of actual new hires at these airlines that HAVE a BS or higher.

A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane, but it has one hell of a lot to do with getting hired to do so. Don't have one? Go to the end of a VERY long line.

Anyone who believes your line of BS is simply as stupid as you are for believing it.

pilotyip said:
A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Only 172 of the 177 airlines hiring even make a BS a requirement

What you dont realize yip is that a degree automatically makes a very big statement about an individual right from the get-go. It says, this person, (at probably a pretty young age), had enough scruples and responsibility to complete a long term goal. It sucks for the guys who are "golden hands" with no degree, but side by side, the guy with the degree will get hired everytime.There are many instances outside aviation where the person doing the hiring says "get me someone with a degree" even if it is irrelevant to the job at hand for that simple fact. My problem with you is you seem to go out of your way to give young guys bad info regarding this fact. Why? Who cares if they arent looking for a job until their 22. Not a real big difference seeing that you cant get an ATP til 23.

pilotyip said:
Only 172 of the 177 airlines hiring even make a BS a requirement

isn't yip agreeing with you guys? 172 out of 177 is a lot:)

The E-Train said:

Thanks,

E-Train

anything positive about your education, professional career, military service etc etc that you can present on a resume or at an interview is a plus for you. so a masters would in fact help you but it would not neccesarily swing the pendulum either way.:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back