• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Does a Masters Degree help

The E-Train

Total Time
none
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site, so bear with me?

I was just curious if a master's degree helps at all in hiring decisions by airlines? Just a quick thought

Thanks,

E-Train

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
Total Time
6000+
The E-Train said:

I was just curious if a master's degree helps at all in hiring decisions by airlines? Just a quick thought

Thanks,

E-Train

I doubt it.

viper548

Total Time
It will help a little, but not nearly enough to go out of your way to get a masters

pilotyip

Total Time
A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. 172 of the 177 airlines hiring do not make a BS a hard requirement

Last edited:

ForgedBlade

Total Time
10000+
I'll convince myself that it is when I interview with CAL Tuesday. What the heck, too much education can't hurt, although it may not have mattered for SWA! If you haev aspirations for higher education, go for it!

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
pilotyip said:
A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Only 172 of the 177 airlines hiring even make a BS a requirement

I see you are still using that stupid logic. Yea, some of them have very low time requirements, too. That doesn't mean anyone with those qualifications are actually getting HIRED.

See what the percentage is of actual new hires at these airlines that HAVE a BS or higher.

A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane, but it has one hell of a lot to do with getting hired to do so. Don't have one? Go to the end of a VERY long line.

Anyone who believes your line of BS is simply as stupid as you are for believing it.

viper548

Total Time
I agree with yank. Just because it isn't required doesn't mean it isn't expected

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Total Time
D
pilotyip said:
A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Only 172 of the 177 airlines hiring even make a BS a requirement

What you dont realize yip is that a degree automatically makes a very big statement about an individual right from the get-go. It says, this person, (at probably a pretty young age), had enough scruples and responsibility to complete a long term goal. It sucks for the guys who are "golden hands" with no degree, but side by side, the guy with the degree will get hired everytime.There are many instances outside aviation where the person doing the hiring says "get me someone with a degree" even if it is irrelevant to the job at hand for that simple fact. My problem with you is you seem to go out of your way to give young guys bad info regarding this fact. Why? Who cares if they arent looking for a job until their 22. Not a real big difference seeing that you cant get an ATP til 23.

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Total Time
11K+
pilotyip said:
Only 172 of the 177 airlines hiring even make a BS a requirement

isn't yip agreeing with you guys? 172 out of 177 is a lot:)

The E-Train said:

Thanks,

E-Train

anything positive about your education, professional career, military service etc etc that you can present on a resume or at an interview is a plus for you. so a masters would in fact help you but it would not neccesarily swing the pendulum either way.:)

Last edited:

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
You have a very good point. I guess he can't get his own arguement correct. Excellent.

pilotyip

Total Time
Reason why the degree

oh boy! the some one took the college bait. The reason everyone getting hired has a degree, is because almost everyone applying has a degree. If 95% of the piltots applying have a BS, and 94% of the jobs go to college grads, then the odds of being hired actually lean toward the non-degreed pilot. If you want to be a pilot fly airplanes build time, it will be a better use of your money. Do the degree on the side if you feel it is needed to get the dream interview.

Last edited:

pilotyip

Total Time
Where is Bobby when you really need him to keep it going? Bring back the good ole days.

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Total Time
11K+
pilotyip said:
oh boy! the some one took the college bait. The reason everyone getting hired has a degree, is because almost everyone applying has a degree. If 95% of the piltots applying have a BS, and 94% of the jobs go to college grads, then the odds of being hired actually lean toward the non-degreed pilot. If you want to be a pilot fly airplanes build time, it will be a better use of your money. Do the degree on the side if you feel it is needed to get the dream interview.

oh boy...i take it all back..he really DID mean it. yank is right :)

yip- get with the times mon.

Last edited:

BenderGonzales

Total Time
xxxxxx
I would venture a guess that anything you can do to stand-out from the other candidates would be helpful.

Improving ones self is almost always a good idea. I certainly dont advocate buying a 737 type-rating with the hopes of getting an interview with Southwest (in my opinion, thats an awfully expensive lottery ticket) -- but a masters degree might have a number of benefits.

At the very least it might open doors to you that are outside of aviation. If the last 4 years haven't convinced everyone that plan "B" is a necessity... well, i'm not sure what will.

Unfortunately, starting a masters degree just isn't as easy as writing a check and going to class. You have to take that GMAT and go through the stress of waiting to be accepted into a program again.

That GMAT is not the easiest thing around for those of us who have been out of school for 10 years or so. Clearing out the cobwebs is easier said than done.

I'm studying GMAT for Dummies right now. So i'm obviously in the "go for it" crowd. Good luck!

viper548

Total Time
pilotyip said:

My guess would be that the non-degreed pilots have much more flight time/better experience, or something else to compensate for their lack of degree.

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Total Time
D
The E-Train said:

Thanks,

E-Train

If you are accepted to a program or are attracted to higher education, by all means RUN,,,dont walk, RUN to that. If you have a Masters you can get a job making 40 to 60,000 in a week. Not great I know , but survivable, it is a great trump to have in the back pocket, especially in this industry. Use this time of aviation disaster to create a back-up plan. Good thinkin bud.

WillowRunVortex

Former Sleepless Knight
Total Time
D
viper548 said:
My guess would be that the non-degreed pilots have much more flight time/better experience, or something else to compensate for their lack of degree.

Yeah crappier jobs in aviation. They are looked at as morons from the time they walk thru the front door. I'm not saying this is right. I have ONE bud who made it to DTW (majors) without college.

Immelman

Total Time
I am considering going for an MBA soon.... will it get me a flying job? Probably not. Will it get me a job with my own business that I can wrangle into owning/operating an eclipse jet or some other nice toy? Well, probably not either.. but it makes the odds of that happening a hell of a lot higher, and I'd like it to happen someday. Go for your masters if that's what you're inclined to do.

BenderGonzales

Total Time
xxxxxx
I wonder though, does a masters get "stale" if you dont use those skills and knowlege? Is a masters you earned 10 years ago worth anything today?