• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do Allegiant Air Pilot get to J/S

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The observer's seat or seats on any aircraft are there because the Administrator says they are there. They are not there for you or anyone else to commute.

If there were no observer's seats, there would be no discussion. The FAA owns those seats. Regardless of your friends and that inspector, try denying an inspector access and have fun. You are allowed to do so, by the FAR's, by "emergency authority in the interest of safety" only (see 121.547(a)(4)), captain sir. Gonna declare an emergency and tell the FAA guy to get out? Have fun with your, and the FAA's, lawyers.

Can I move the gear handle now? Or how about just a big sh!t sandwich for you?

The observer's seat or seats on any aircraft are there because the Administrator says they are there. They are not there for you or anyone else to commute.

If there were no observer's seats, there would be no discussion. The FAA owns those seats. Regardless of your friends and that inspector, try denying an inspector access and have fun. You are allowed to do so, by the FAR's, by "emergency authority in the interest of safety" only (see 121.547(a)(4)), captain sir. Gonna declare an emergency and tell the FAA guy to get out? Have fun with your, and the FAA's, lawyers.

Can I move the gear handle now? Or how about just a big sh!t sandwich for you?

Here's one for you, based on an actual situation:

Let's say an inspector is up at the gate during boarding. This person sees a mechanic working on the airplane with "car tools-" meaning a screwdriver and some pliers. The said inspector causes such a scene at the gate that many of the passengers refuse to board the flight. This person whips these people into a frenzy about how endangered they all are and recommends they never fly any airplane that has been worked on before they fly.

Let's further speculate that this inspector wants to ride your jumpseat after that fiasco..... What do you do with this maniac, this person who clearly seems to have lost all control of their faculties and has just caused a near-riot at the gate.....

-This is a very slight embellishment on an actual situation years back with an FAA executive (way above the rank of inspector.) In that case, the flight was cancelled, but let's say in your case it is not, and this maniac wants to ride in your cockpit.....

-What do you do, champ? Say, "oh well-you own the jumpseat, and even though you appear to have lost it-it sure looks like a fun day to go flying-welcome aboard!"

Sure, the situation would be uncomfortable, sure the Feds are gonna cause trouble, but do really want someone that unstable in your cockpit in flight? Stuff like this has happened-not frequently, but it has occured.

-Who's jumpseat is it here? Really? Who is the final gatekeeper as to whether something like this is safe? Is it Frieghtdog, is it the inspector who is barking at the moon?

-Decisions for adults here....... Sorry Freight, we don't need you now....

Last edited:
So, can anyone answer my question? Are Allegiant pilots welcomed to J/S on union Part 121 carriers?

The short answer...yes, if Allegiant has a reciprocal agreement with the other carrier.

HOWEVER...

The final authority over the jumpseat will always reside with the Captain as the other posters have alluded to. ALPA National Jumpseat policy Section 115.E.2 encourages Captains to require a Union Card as additional identification.

Why? ALPA cannot acknowledge or encourge the use of "scab lists" and the possession of a Union Card is the only way to keep scabs out of the cockpit. Non-Union airlines tend to attract scabs as employees.

OK... after reading this, I came to a conclusion you are just a troll, and frankly, I doubt you are anything more than some kid that's fresh out of ATP or Riddle.

You were saying how you were excluding GoJet pilots from your jumpseat, and I was telling you that you were way off base denying jumpseats in violation of your airline's reciprocal agreements with GoJet or whoever. I simply told you to be mindful of your own pilots who might depend on GoJet or some other carrier to get to/from work... Then you got all pissy...

But what the hell... I'll address your little rant and then I'm done paying attention to you.

Freight Dog-

You sure are an entertaining toolbag!

First, you start off stating that I need mental help for not letting idiots and rude people ride my jumpseat.

No, RTFP. I told you that if you were denying pilots from another airline such as GoJet simply because of personal vendetta and claim that they anger you to the point that you are unsafe to fly, you will most likely get mental evaluation by your company. Clearly you haven't been around long enough to know what works and what doesn't.

Then you start going on about how (as a commuter) you are always nice to those you choose to jumpseat on-good idea. A bit hypocritical of you, I think....

Uh... no. But then again, I know the protocol, and I've been using it for years. I also treat others the way I'd like to be treated when I jumpseat. For example, when I'm working the flight, I'd always try and ask gate agents or lead FA's to put a jumpseater in first class if there's a seat available even if that jumpseater works for an airline with only economy class seats. Normally, they wouldn't do that without a little nudging... but it was in our contract that we can put ACM's anywhere, so I'd take it upon myself as a commuter to take care of them. Kindness pays...

Then the really nice part..... You claim that I MUST let anyone jumpseat from any airline we have a jumpseat agreement with.... Sorry, you are incorrect, sir. You will find out how incorrect you are if you come preaching that crap on my plane!

Once again, wrong... I'm telling you that unless the jumpseater violates the protocol outlined in your FOM, denying him simply based on their airline affiliation as your first post dictated, you are doing a huge disservice to your own pilot group.

I think we have a basic disagreement as to who actually owns the jumpseat.....

-My contention is that the jumpseat is mine, and I further contend that the FAA regs agree with me. I can exclude anyone at any time.

A captain plays a part, and has the authority to exclude people IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY. I sure hope that captains don't use that authority for their own personal vendetta against another airline which was the whole point of me responding to you in the first place. If you abuse that authority, watch how fast you'll get talked to. But hey, whatever... it's your jumpseat, right?

-I propose an experiment to prove one of us right: The next time you commute, just take a written copy of the jumpseat agreement, show it to the Captain and demand YOUR seat because it is YOUR RIGHT to occupy it. Choose any airline or airlines you wish.

I contend that you will succeed in getting on 0% of the jumpseats you request. You may find that I am not the only Captain to see it this way. If I am incorrect, your experiment will prove me wrong.

-Go ahead, give it a shot, you will soon understand who the jumpseat belongs to!

This paragraph above just shows your ignorance, and normally wouldn't dignify a response because it is utterly ridiculous.

-While you are at it, just go and make your boss another sandwich, and make sure the gear somehow finds its proper position for takeoff and landing-Big Guy! Let the adults handle the heavy work.....

Um, isn't that what flight attendants are for? Oh, and don't worry about the landing gear - it will definitely find itself in the proper place... I'll even let you do all the heavy work... It's just sad that all that heavy work you do doesn't pay nearly as much as my gear puller paycheck. ;)

Last edited:
The short answer...yes, if Allegiant has a reciprocal agreement with the other carrier.

HOWEVER...

The final authority over the jumpseat will always reside with the Captain as the other posters have alluded to. ALPA National Jumpseat policy Section 115.E.2 encourages Captains to require a Union Card as additional identification.

Why? ALPA cannot acknowledge or encourge the use of "scab lists" and the possession of a Union Card is the only way to keep scabs out of the cockpit. Non-Union airlines tend to attract scabs as employees.

Idiot...

Anyway, Allegiant has been cass well over a year. We've been cass as long as I've been here, almost 4 years

Allegiant has approximately 250 pilots. Two of those are scabs. Scab percentage: 0.8%.

I don't think you'll find that low of a percentage at even the most militant of unionized airlines.

Dbag,

Is that the best you can do, gratuitous insults? Or is it that you non-Union boys don't want the general pilot population educated about Section 115 of the ALPA Admin manual.

Because if MORE Captains KNEW the manual, fewer non-Union pilots would ride ALPA jumpseats.

Dbag,

Is that the best you can do, gratuitous insults? Or is it that you non-Union boys don't want the general pilot population educated about Section 115 of the ALPA Admin manual.

Because if MORE Captains KNEW the manual, fewer non-Union pilots would ride ALPA jumpseats.

I guess MORE Captains realize what a big crock of cow droppings ALPA has become, and could give a rats ass about Section 115 of the admin manual.

Take your ALPA admin manual and choke on it.

Latest resources

Back