DL/NWA predictions.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a match made in heaven.

Congrats on the age 65 win. I bet your FOs hate you. Have fun with the Airtran guys when you merge with them, and it won't be a staple job thanks to the Bond Ammendment.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Fine!!! Then your pilots should not benefit when the 787 finally shows up. It works both ways, General. You can't pick and choose seniority numbers based upon aircraft retirements and not acquisitions.

But if you really want, we will use your rationale and employ this, "ONLY NWA pilots fly the B787!!" Works for me!!!

Thank gawd for all of your upcoming retirements you guys continually brag about. We all "know" they will all bail out at exactly age 60. That will help when you start dumping the DC9s.

And the 787 is a mythical bird right now. Noone has ever seen one fly. We are talking about planes on the property. We also have Space Shuttles on order too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

No. I will not support NWALPA jumping in bed with NWA management to hatch a plan to accelerate retirement of MD-88s so we may be able to achieve a more favorable SLI. From our position, it appears that your leadership is doing exactly that. Now... will you support it?

It's just not gonna happen. Remember, we have those MD88s on lease. Your DC9s are all owned, right? Then they can be dumped without penalty. The MD88s are also more modern, and can make more money thanks to more seats and modern FMS equipment.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Really, because I see a lot of insinuation and veiled threats from you guys that DALPA is complicit in a management scheme to accelerate DC-9 retirements.

If the DC-9 is a viable aircraft I'm sure it will fly another 35 years. Do you really think that management will retire an aircraft because we say so?

Case in point, somebody just said that the "crappy DC-9s" are needed to carry pax for the pacific feed, and you more or less said, "we'll see about that".

That's true. We will, if they are retired it will be because they are not the best available airframe for the job, not because we say they aren't, but because management might determine that they aren't. I don't see too many 9s flying around anymore and NWA has already started parking them by the dozens, so it is not too far fetched to conclude that they aren't the best available airframe for the job.

So.... honest question... If the opportunity arises for management to make an end run around NWA's Section 1, park more planes than would have previously been allowed, and furlough NWA pilots, will DALPA and Delta pilots be willing to let that stand or possibly help it along on the off chance that it could prove beneficial to you in the future?

There can be no end run around your scope. Your scope is what it is. Either it protects your interests or it doesn't. It's your contract, you negotiated it, defend it. We'll defend our contract and protect our interests as I'm sure you will yours.

We are obviously not going to agree on what got us to this point. What I want to know is, now that we are at this point, would you be willing to exploit an opportunity to advance your career at the expense of mine?

No. We honor your contract and your rights under your contract as I am sure you honor ours. Your career is tied to your contract with NWA and mine is tied to my contract with DAL. We are each entitled to negotiate with our employer and negotiate the best contract we can.

Last edited:
one big point that gets over looked is at 110 dollars a barrel or even higher there wont be any career expectations for any pilots at DAL NWA CAL AA etc.. if oil continues to increase there might not be a DAL NWA CAL UAL in the future!!! WE always say NO it cant happen we have this and this much money and this creditor that will save us blah blah blah. The reality is that if oil continues to go up and up there will be some serious problems and even shutdowns that could reach the big legacies. By mergering, the career expectations for the pilots at the two airlines will greatly improve.

Until he is proven otherwise, give RA a lot of credit.
Our MEC is doing the best that they can given the constrains from all involved.
I am sure that Lee and Co are aware of the sang, " Screw me one shame on you, screw me twice shame on me."
Trust but verify seems to be working well for us to date.

one big point that gets over looked is at 110 dollars a barrel or even higher there wont be any career expectations for any pilots at DAL NWA CAL AA etc.. if oil continues to increase there might not be a DAL NWA CAL UAL in the future!!! WE always say NO it cant happen we have this and this much money and this creditor that will save us blah blah blah. The reality is that if oil continues to go up and up there will be some serious problems and even shutdowns that could reach the big legacies. By mergering, the career expectations for the pilots at the two airlines will greatly improve.

There are not very many airlines that can withstand $110 a barrel oil for very long. The ones that can are Southwest (with the hedges), and some airlines that already went through BK and made sure they cleaned house correctly. If enough airlines fall I am sure Congress will allow European Airlines to invest more into ours (maybe up to 49%), and thanks to the Euro and dollar difference, it would be cheap for European Airlines to do just that. Also, fewer airlines will push up prices and keep the remaining airlines around longer. If all the airlines stop flying on the same day, that could be a problem for the American public. I doubt that will happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee

double post

Last edited:
General,

I getting real concerned now,....our hats are not big enough to pin on the DAL hat emblem.

Seems like Delta guys have bigger heads :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back