• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dl/nw Dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd rather have DC9s on the property and be flying than at home looking for work in the news paper.

Let us not forget the days we thought we were cool jumping in the piper Seminole.

No doubt. And I'd rather fly a 9 than an RJ.

I would rather be a first officer on the 9 than a captain at Compass flying a 175. If you're flying a 9, you're in the game.

I think that Delta net site screwed up my Mac. Anyway, went to the DL flight ops. site and downloaded the B757/767 manuals just to see what's in store. Definitely some procedural differences. NW guys should check it out that is if you're really, really bored.

Last edited:
I, for one, do. I actually like flying instead of pushing buttons. I will leave the -9 the day they displace me off of it. Until then, I will happily fly that airplane around the eastern US for three or four (sometimes five) legs a day knowing that this is, more or less, my last chance to actually be a pilot and fly an airplane instead of program it. Call me crazy, but I somewhat enjoy an airplane that I have to manage instead of vice-versa. I like the fact that I know how to make a 40 year old autopilot fly smoothly. I like the fact that when I land I can hit 1.6 EPR in reverse just by the sound of the engines.

I came from button-pushing. I jumpseat with button-pushers. I appreciate the automation and the ease it brings to the job. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, I like being given the opportunity to actually fly a damn airplane. When they're gone and I get kicked off the thing, I can push buttons with the best of them, but for now I'd rather fly.

If you want to push buttons for a living, more power to you. I won't be gunning for your spot post SOC. You can push buttons to your heart's content (unless, of course, they don't open a DC-9 base in ATL... then all bets are off. I'll happily push buttons for a living if I get to drive to work!!!)

Heyas,

Great post. Some of the best flying ANYWHERE is on the -9 out of MSP to points west. Once on the center freq, it's "fly 285, proceed direct when able, climb to 350". You start down when YOU want to start down, and most of the time they ask what runway/approach you want.

Heck, some places, you still need to talk to flight service to get your clearance in the morning. Gasp...the HORROR of making a CTAF call and remembering to click up the lights.

Compared with the continuous ATC chatter/vectors/reroutes/speeds of the coasts and hubs, it's a little bit of flying heaven.

Nu

I would rather be a first officer on the 9 than a captain at Compass flying a 175. If you're flying a 9, you're in the game.

I would rather fly anything as long as I didn't have to work.

Hell, I'd fly a 172 if pad enough!!

Heyas,

Great post. Some of the best flying ANYWHERE is on the -9 out of MSP to points west. Once on the center freq, it's "fly 285, proceed direct when able, climb to 350". You start down when YOU want to start down, and most of the time they ask what runway/approach you want.

Heck, some places, you still need to talk to flight service to get your clearance in the morning. Gasp...the HORROR of making a CTAF call and remembering to click up the lights.

Compared with the continuous ATC chatter/vectors/reroutes/speeds of the coasts and hubs, it's a little bit of flying heaven.

Nu

Too bad most of the DC9s don't go straight West from MSP. You used to hit a lot of Montana, etc, but Compass E175s now do it along with A319s. If West you mean Fargo and Grand Forks, then yes, yes you do. I see a lot of the DC9s doing ATL to MOB, PNS, type stuff in the near future though. I will not be bidding it, though, and it looks like my 73N Captain seat will be postponed as well thanks to this last bid. Oh well.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Hi!

I would like to fly an airplane that had good automation I could use when I wanted to, and turn it off if I want to hand fly it.

The -9s I have flown did not have any automation that I could trust. We were also required to turn of the Flt Director and Autopilot at the FAF on a non-precision approach. If I'm tired, I would prefer to use both on the non-prec.

I did not like the -9, but I'd rather fly it than be laid off.

I think my preference would be a newer 737, a 757 or any decent biz jet with a modern cockpit. Oh, I got to watch a bunch of 717 flying, and that was excellent!

cliff
GRB

Latest resources

Back