• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dl/nw Dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would bet ALL pilot hiring will be done by Delta in ATL, regardless of where the pilots might be needed.

How do you plan you descents without a VNAV box? I heard that in the DC-9 autopilot, you have to manually level off at each altitude. How much of a pain is that?

In the 727 I used the "3 for 1" method. Multiply the altitude to lose by 3 to get the miles to get down. Lets say you need to lose 20,000 ft. 20 times 3 is 60, start down 60 miles out. Now this is crude, it doesn't factor in head or tailwinds but it's a start.

Most of our 727's (TWA) did not have an alt capture. You just watch it, the non-flying (excuse me, "monitoring") pilot calls out "one to go", it's not a problem when that's what you have!

In the 727 I used the "3 for 1" method. Multiply the altitude to lose by 3 to get the miles to get down. Lets say you need to lose 20,000 ft. 20 times 3 is 60, start down 60 miles out. Now this is crude, it doesn't factor in head or tailwinds but it's a start.

Most of our 727's (TWA) did not have an alt capture. You just watch it, the non-flying (excuse me, "monitoring") pilot calls out "one to go", it's not a problem when that's what you have!

WOW! That's sounds pretty archaic. I'm glad nowdays most airliners have a box that can do all that stuff for us.

It's not that tough

How do you plan you descents without a VNAV box? I heard that in the DC-9 autopilot, you have to manually level off at each altitude. How much of a pain is that?

The DC-9 still has CADCs and you put the vertical speed wheel in the detent and it levels of on altitude just fine.

I'd rather read the newspaper.

Here Here. Spent almost ten years flying "real planes" that were harder to fly and about the same automation as the nine. If somebody thinks its cool to fly "real planes", let them....especially if they are from NWA.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back