Dl/nw Dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas FBN,

I agree with you that the DC-9 can heat up enough to roast chickens in a nanosecond. However, if you are agressive in managing the envrionment, it's not too bad.

1) Run the apu ANYTIME on the ground when the external air is not hooked up. That means running it as you pull in, park and until the ext air is actually blowing.

2) Leave it run it on the taxi out. Idle power on the ground with no APU, and you'll roast. 3 bleeds + 2 packs = reasonable airflow.

3) OPEN the @#@(*# overhead cockpit vents. Too many guys say "its too noisy". You don't have to open them all the way, but crack them so there is SOME airflow. Goes for the wintertime, too. How hard is it to reach up and close them for TO, as opposed to roasting on a 30 miniute taxi in DTW?

3) Use the sun shades. They work amazingly well, and I would recommend them to our MD-88 comrades (NWA Tech Ops makes them).

4) Don't let the airplane get hot. Pre-cool pre-cool pre-cool.

My last 2 summers on the -9 have been OK following the above rules.

Nu

Good advice. I would add, don't be intimidated by some APU Sheriff.

Good advice. I would add, don't be intimidated by some APU Sheriff.
He is there to help.....
Seriously they are helpful, in that they can "crack skulls" when air/ext pwr isn't hooked up right after parking brake set.
They can contact the station managers or whomever they need to to get things fixed.
Cheers

It's not quite like that, FBN. They crack the whip on the ground personnel to get the air and power going...and also to fix broken air supplies and GPUs.

I can't remember the last time I've had to wear earplugs on the ramp b/c of a running APU in ATL.

"APU Sheriff"????? We all understand that APUs burn fuel but that it can also be an operationally necessity/preference, so do we really need some micro-manager running from airplane to airplane? Seems kind of silly, IMHO.
Well, him doing the nagging takes the job away from the flight crew. You get to delegate an unpleasant task, which is a good thing.

Well, him doing the nagging takes the job away from the flight crew. You get to delegate an unpleasant task, which is a good thing.

Thanks guys. I didn't realize what the Sheriff's role was exactly. Sounds like a good program.

APU? What's that?

The ground crews are pretty good about getting power and air to you. Delta has a big save gas by not running the APU push, complete with an "APU Sheriff" to investigate complaints.

Overall, it is a good program and the APU Sheriff is usually a pilot who is there to help get you what you need.

Did you get bumped on the bid? If so, to what? I thought you were thinking about that corporate gig?

From what I have been hearing, SOC is a little farther away than they had hoped, and there might be a small bid in late Summer, but it may have only entitlements, and not much else, unless the Summer was horrible for us due to the economy.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back