• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dl/nw Dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WOW! That's sounds pretty archaic. I'm glad nowdays most airliners have a box that can do all that stuff for us.

Well, consider that as pilots our only real value-added to our companies is our airmanship and judgment. Airmanship has been in steady decline ever since those boxes 'that can do all that stuff for us' began showing up, and a little more judgment seems to get taken away with every revision to the FOM. Someday we won't be needed at all...:crying:

It requires constant attention. I, for one, don't think it's all that fun.

I, for one, do. I actually like flying instead of pushing buttons. I will leave the -9 the day they displace me off of it. Until then, I will happily fly that airplane around the eastern US for three or four (sometimes five) legs a day knowing that this is, more or less, my last chance to actually be a pilot and fly an airplane instead of program it. Call me crazy, but I somewhat enjoy an airplane that I have to manage instead of vice-versa. I like the fact that I know how to make a 40 year old autopilot fly smoothly. I like the fact that when I land I can hit 1.6 EPR in reverse just by the sound of the engines.

I came from button-pushing. I jumpseat with button-pushers. I appreciate the automation and the ease it brings to the job. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, I like being given the opportunity to actually fly a damn airplane. When they're gone and I get kicked off the thing, I can push buttons with the best of them, but for now I'd rather fly.

If you want to push buttons for a living, more power to you. I won't be gunning for your spot post SOC. You can push buttons to your heart's content (unless, of course, they don't open a DC-9 base in ATL... then all bets are off. I'll happily push buttons for a living if I get to drive to work!!!)

A long time ago, I flew on a DC9-10 (ship 9150), and post-flight the captain and I were talking and he said that he would retire off the -9.

His attitude was that in the -9, especially the DC9-10, was his own little pocket rocket. When he started at North Central, he was assigned to the -9, fell in love with it, and ended up not flying anything else. He knew each quirk, each idiosyncrasy of each -9 in the NC>REP>NWA fleet.

I asked him if he ever thought about going and moving to the heavy iron, and he said hell no - he preferred to be an integral part of the airplane, instead of being along for the ride.

He absolutely was in love with the -9.

I think some people here are confusing airmanship (judgement) with eye-hand coordination (physical skill). Increasing automation on aircraft is not a plot by engineers to "take away the pilot's job". Rather, it is a very rational and effective way of allowing pilots to focus on the the "big picture"...thus increasing their ability to exersise good airmanship, and thereby, increase safety, which is the bottom line. For those of you who insist on the superiority or efficacy of hand flying...you have effectively turned yourselves into "autopilots with pride" -using a good portion of your mental energy and awareness merely wrestling your aircraft around the sky, rather than freeing up that mental energy and awareness to be in more complete command of the whole situation.

GP, a pilot, is saying he would rather read the newspaper than fly an airplane.

Not exactly. I'd rather read a newspaper than fly a DC9. :uzi:

Some people want to don goggles and scarf and hand-fly a jet all day long. Others want to come to work and use automation so that they can concentrate on other tasks -- whether work-related (Revisions, studying for recurrent ...) or not.

Last edited:
I, for one, do. I actually like flying instead of pushing buttons. I will leave the -9 the day they displace me off of it. Until then, I will happily fly that airplane around the eastern US for three or four (sometimes five) legs a day knowing that this is, more or less, my last chance to actually be a pilot and fly an airplane instead of program it. Call me crazy, but I somewhat enjoy an airplane that I have to manage instead of vice-versa. I like the fact that I know how to make a 40 year old autopilot fly smoothly. I like the fact that when I land I can hit 1.6 EPR in reverse just by the sound of the engines.

I came from button-pushing. I jumpseat with button-pushers. I appreciate the automation and the ease it brings to the job. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, I like being given the opportunity to actually fly a damn airplane. When they're gone and I get kicked off the thing, I can push buttons with the best of them, but for now I'd rather fly.

If you want to push buttons for a living, more power to you. I won't be gunning for your spot post SOC. You can push buttons to your heart's content (unless, of course, they don't open a DC-9 base in ATL... then all bets are off. I'll happily push buttons for a living if I get to drive to work!!!)

I'm with you! A lot of the people who bash the -9 have never even been on one. I don't post on here often but read most of the posts. It always makes me laugh when people talk about the horror of having to actually monitor an airplane. It's not that bad at all, in fact it's kinda fun (i was 10 yrs on glass prior to flying the -9).

I will also be on the -9 till they go away. I bid reserve (by choice). Life is not good, it's GREAT!!! Assuming you live in base, or at least driving distance to one, you will reap the benefits of NEVER working. I flew an average of 16 hrs a month in all of '08. Today is day 6 on call for Jan & not a peep from Scheduling! I have slept away from home 2 nights since May. I am one who takes quality of life over an extra $3000 / yr (on the airbus). I can read the paper in the "Can"!

p.s. this is no way a bash on anyone or anyone's airplane, I'm sure it's great for YOU. would I love to fly a 757, 737, etc...? Sure. But not yet. Just trying to clear up everyone's perception of how horrible the DC-9 flying is. Beats commuting to ANC to sit sideways! (i did that as well)

Later

Latest resources

Back