• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL CRJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell you what - Hell's gonna break loose if CPZ pilots get "stapled" onto any mainline list. There's no reason that a fuselage diameter difference between the CRJ9 and the E170 entitle anyone to anything. CPZ is still a regional, and anyone's chances of moving on to mainline should be strictly a result of seniority (via flow) or outside interview. I've heard a few nasty rumors of a few, very junior CPZ pilots with an extremely overinflated sense of entitlement to DAL mainline seats. I hope the rumors are not true.

MM

Why?
It has long been stated by our guys in the union that the company would come begging to bring them on. Why? It is easier to have them on our list than to furlough in to their list. It is all about economics. The same can not be said for anywhere else.

I thought I read somewhere that DALPA got a $600,000,000 bargaining credit for scope relief in the bankruptcy negotiation. If this is true, do you think the top half of the DAL seniority list would want to pay this back in order to take it back? Would the flying be done at a competative rate?

It was to never reduce the number of 76 seat jets. As with everything it can and will be renegotiated.

Tell you what - Hell's gonna break loose if CPZ pilots get "stapled" onto any mainline list. There's no reason that a fuselage diameter difference between the CRJ9 and the E170 entitle anyone to anything. CPZ is still a regional, and anyone's chances of moving on to mainline should be strictly a result of seniority (via flow) or outside interview. I've heard a few nasty rumors of a few, very junior CPZ pilots with an extremely overinflated sense of entitlement to DAL mainline seats. I hope the rumors are not true.

MM

In a sense CPZ pilots do have an entitlement to DAL mainline seats via a contractual agreement. During a hiring cycle, CPZ pilots will have a one time option to flow on to Delta mainline. It's a rather large percentage (around 20%), who will be given this option each year of the hiring cycle. In the event of furloughs, DL pilots can flow down to CPZ positions.

If I am not mistaken, no other flow-down would be applicable for DL pilots at other carriers like Skywest, Mesaba or Comair.

Anyone else read the details regarding flow-downs. Just Compass right?

OOOhhh, scary. Do tell what might happen??

MM

It would have nothing to do with airplane size. It has to do with the fact that we share the same MEC. No other regional has that. Not even OH. That said. I am all for putting every DCI carrier on the mainline list. I do not see that as probable.
CPZ has a true shot. We share the same MEC and we have a established flow where we can take all of their seats to date. It truly has the best chance.

Now most regionals would not go along with being stapled to mainline. Too many 20 year guys that would want their seniority and go to the left seat of at 767. I heard it in 99 when DAL bought ASA. That would need to be worked out. Argue career expectations et al. DOH would never work to bring you on. What you would do at your level is a different sitiuation since in effect all RJ's pay about the same.

Why don't they just staple the regional to the bottom of a mainline list and put up a permanent fence? That would keep the senior regional guys happy about having a mainline flowback take their seat during a downturn. And with a permanent fence, mainline could hire directly into mainline the military pilots and the civilian pilot factory types could go to the regional side of the fence. That way everyone wins. There would be no whipsawing because ALL flying would be done by the same pilot group.

Last edited:

MM

This is all conjecture and discussion, however the E175 is the smallest of a family of acft that go up to 120 seats, whereas the CRJ900 is the largest of a family that is 100 (Scope limited to 76) seats. The fact is if anyone gets absorbed onto the list, and any acft becomes a mainline it is likely to be the CPZ and the E175 family of aircraft. I understand the flow through issue as it would impact XJ, however if CPZ is stapled, it would be fairly easy to calculate where a XJ pilot would have been slotted in with flow through and adjustments to seniority made.

I would assume that the CPZ MEC is not part of DAL. I have not heard of them breaking it off.

Heyas ACL,

There never WAS a CPZ MEC. Compass pilots were represented by the NWA MEC. The LECs in DTW, MEM and MSP had local responsibility for representing those pilots, and are their "voting reps".

This representation structure was maintained ON PURPOSE.

When the combined MEC occured this weekend, the DAL MEC now represents Compass pilots.

Nu

MM

Guess what happens when they flow up to mainline? They go on to the bottom of the list. Stapling now gets them on the bottom quicker instead of having to wait 30 months and miss out on potential seniority numbers while waiting for the opportunity to flow up.

Heyas ACL,

There never WAS a CPZ MEC. Compass pilots were represented by the NWA MEC. The LECs in DTW, MEM and MSP had local responsibility for representing those pilots, and are their "voting reps".

This representation structure was maintained ON PURPOSE.

When the combined MEC occured this weekend, the DAL MEC now represents Compass pilots.

Nu

I knew this, and it also appears that we maintained the status quo with the MEC. We have a CPZ coordinator with no voting rights.
So, yes I feel that we should just staple them now. I would love to have them on our list. Personally I think that they should be on there now.
The CPA pilot group is relatively new and there would not be one of them that would have an issue with it. I say lets do it!

Latest resources

Back