• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL CRJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought I read somewhere that DALPA got a $600,000,000 bargaining credit for scope relief in the bankruptcy negotiation.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2007/010707up.pdf

Actually, the Delta MEC's realized a $150,000,000 bargaining credit for that. The NWA MEC provided management with an a'la-carte menu subsequent to the $15,000,000 credit to divert 40 growth aircraft from their ALPA brethren at Mesaba and Pinnacle. This included $30,000,000 to permit the alter ego Compass.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/110804up.pdf

If this is true, do you think the top half of the DAL seniority list would want to pay this back in order to take it back? Would the flying be done at a competative rate?

I submit that only a couple of progressive thinkers in the whole union would want to buy it back because the "buy back" price is going to go up.

No, the time to do it was the summer of 2000 when Delta and Comair were both in Section 6. That window is now closed and you can thank ALPA and the Delta MEC for the erosion of the profession while selling out union "brothers" without their knowledge or consent.

Last edited:
No, the time to do it was the summer of 2000 when Delta and Comair were both in Section 6. That window is now closed and you can thank ALPA and the Delta MEC for the erosion of the profession while selling out union "brothers" without their knowledge or consent.

So who are you going to blame/sue when DAL management decides not to renew feeder contracts, and reduce RJ feed? Keep puffing and beating your chest.

So who are you going to blame/sue when DAL management decides not to renew feeder contracts, and reduce RJ feed?

I don't subscribe to the wacky fantasy that a union can control the marketplace with a labor agreement.

I do believe, however, that a union should treat all of its members fairly in accordance with its Constitution and By-laws.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2007/010707up.pdf

Actually, the Delta MEC's realized a $150,000,000 bargaining credit for that. The NWA MEC provided management with an a'la-carte menu subsequent to the $15,000,000 credit to divert 40 growth aircraft from their ALPA brethren at Mesaba and Pinnacle. This included $30,000,000 to permit the alter ego Compass.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2004/110804up.pdf

I submit that only a couple of progressive thinkers in the whole union would want to buy it back because the "buy back" price is going to go up.

This is the same spiteful attitude that derailed everything back in 2000.
Fact is that no matter what you want to believe, there is no where in any DCI contract that states that the HAVE to renew it.
Realize that ALL DCI carriers are contract carriers and they flying lives and dies by this contract. Contracts at times get canceled or not renewed. It happens all of the time on corporate America.

Where is the opportunity to absorb regional flying? How long is the joint contract that Delta/NWA just agreed to? Is there another opportunity to make changes besides the end of that agreement?

I don't subscribe to the wacky fantasy that a union can control the marketplace with a labor agreement.

I do believe, however, that a union should treat all of its members fairly in accordance with its Constitution and By-laws.
Maybe not able to control the marketplace, but we should be able to control who operates the airplanes within the brand.

I don't think we will ever know how serious the Majors were at tripartied scope negotiations. Frankly, I think they made a lot of political hay by blaming the regional pilots while the major's reps traded flying to preserve as much of their pre-bankruptcy contracts as they could.

The radicals on either side place unity at risk. But everyone with a big picture view should realize it is a win / win to use the new generation 100 seaters (when they arrive) to build a single seniority list across the brand.

It will take a political shift away from senior mainline pilots thinking there is a benefit to selling flying that they see as below them and away from regional pilots who believe they are entitled to super seniority on a mainline list.

The result would be the elevation of our profession and much better job progression and security for ALPA's membership.

Plan B will be to stick to current scope language and let the contractors die on the vine. My crystal ball and traffic trend data indicated it was better to interview and jump at the first opportunity. My crystal ball did not include the NWA merger. Ask me in about 25 years how it turned out.:cartman:

Last edited:
Where is the opportunity to absorb regional flying? How long is the joint contract that Delta/NWA just agreed to? Is there another opportunity to make changes besides the end of that agreement?
I think the SLI result puts pressure on Delta to seek scope revisions if they plan on furloughing. The 76 to 70 seat trigger went from roughtly 10% of the list, down to 4%.

Occam used to make some really thought provoking posts on this subject, but he has not been on in a while.

There is also the problem with available airframes. Everything is either too big, or too small. The C-Series is potentially a home run when it gets here.

That's not quite true MB, most of us in the upper half of the list were not "loosing" (there's that tricky word again...) our jobs at all. We came to Compass because we wanted to be there, not because it was the only show in town. We were aware of the risks, and we accepted them.

I guess my anger comes from the idiot who says in his post "mesaba pilots" when speaking of the MSA MEC opinion in negiotiations. The Mesaba pilots never have been the hard headed pilots he claims them to be. Especially in the realm of entitlement. I can't stand it when someone blames a whole group of people, of which they were never a part of, for the choices of a few. Like the whole blame all Comair pilots for the past errors for which most of them were not a part of.

To your point, I remember in arguments in the past on these boards, vocal Compass pilots saying they should be stapled to the Delta list. Many used the argument that they were not like other regionals and should be stapled since most all came from other places flying large equipment. Not CFI's new hires like the other regionals. Being pilots looking for work because they lost their jobs at places like ATA...Hence my point that the Compass pilots stepping up when the Mesaba PILOTS would not is a bunch of crap. Compass pilots didn't exist when this bankruptcy bs was going down. Compass pilots stepping up ,to do as this guy insinuates, the flying "mesaba pilots" would not is also bs.

I was not in the negotiations so I can't tell you what the MSA MEC said. But I know for a fact that the Mesaba Pilots were willing to "step up". Especially at a time when almost all of our own flying had been at risk with threats from the likes of our parent company with Big Sky and over half of our pilot seniority list gone. There was a hell of a lot more going on than just a simple argument of hard headed Mesaba guys not willing to bend.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back