Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Disgruntled furloughed Midwest pilot accuses "regional pilots" being inferior airmen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The result of the Colgan crash would have been the same if "Sully" were at the controls.

This guy probably commuted on Piedmont or ASA to get to HHH. Wonder if he thinks the same about us every time he was sitting in the back...

The result of the Colgan crash would have been the same if "Sully" were at the controls.

You think? I thought the FDR said that the CA stalled/aggravated the stall instead of recovering properly.

I'm not flaming here, but just asking. I was under that impression. If that's not correct, please let me know.

People that aren't in aviation usually are the ones harping on experience and how gray hair is the measure of a pilot. How do they propose that we gather experience without flying? Do we all just start training at 40 and drop into the captain seat with our full head of gray hair? I get tired of the looks I get being a captain and hearing some of the stupid remarks passengers make.

This guy probably commuted on Piedmont or ASA to get to HHH. Wonder if he thinks the same about us every time he was sitting in the back...

I think most people in the industry are aware Piedmont doesnt move anywhere...including the pilots. He probably knows our Captains (and some FOs) have more experience than anyone he flies with.

I get tired of the looks I get being a captain and hearing some of the stupid remarks passengers make.

Last Capt I flew with has 18k hours. A pax asked our FA if "we knew how to fly har har har!".

Not appreciated.

SOURCE: Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel
http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/39999982.html

Lessons to be learned about flying experience

An examination of recent events in the aviation industry begs the question "why?" Let's examine the two most recent airline disasters that had entirely different outcomes, US1549 and CO3407. It might be a prudent consideration before the Milwaukee traveling public books its next airline ticket.

One of the nasty little secrets that the airline companies don't want the traveling public to know is that although the ticket was sold as a Continental Airlines flight, the actual company doing the flying was Colgan Airways of Manassas, Va. Airline companies really hate paying experienced airline pilot salaries and would rather subcontract flying out to the lowest bidder - as opposed to paying their own employees - as a cost-savings measure.

Of course, the results are quite predictable when the combined flying experience aboard most mainline air carriers is greater than the combined ages of those flying at regional air carriers. US 1549 piloted by Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger that ditched into the Hudson River had a much different outcome than did Continental 3407, where it would appear that pilot error might be to blame.

Experienced airline crews don't get paid because of the days when it's sunny and everything is going well. We get paid to ensure everyone entrusted to our care during flight goes home alive at the end of the day, regardless of the circumstances.

As a furloughed airline pilot from Midwest Airlines with nearly 25 years and 15,000 hours of flying experience, I expect history to repeat itself until the traveling public stops falling for the bait-and-switch tactics the airline industry employs in the name of cost savings.

Capt. Snott B. Kaley

Hilton Head, S.C.

First, Major Airlines subcontract not because they hate to pay pilots, but because of the cost associated with the entire flight. There is no sense in flying 49 people on a 737 from New York to Buffalo, no profit will be made. Snott Kaley you're an idiot!

Second, Sully ditched a plane in day VMC conditions from 3000' AGL, with full knowledge of the problem and no icing. Colgan 3407 went down at NIGHT, IMC blowing snow, ice and from about 1500' AGL. There can be NO comparison between the two. Two different aircraft (the airbus is way more automated!), two different times of day and type of weather. Again Snott Kaley you're an idiot!!

Third, of course we know that every 25 year pilot with 15,000 hours has never crashed a plane and never will. And I'm sure Snott Kaley was born with 25 years experience and 15,000 hours. Snott Kaley you're still an idiot!!!

This guy has no point. His argument is flawed and really makes no sense. He should be directing his energy towards Midwest management instead of the regional pilot group. I'd be laughing at this article if the public was actually educated enough to see through this garbage!

eP.

Yeah; I get it all the time..."did your mom let you fly today?" stupid stuff like that. Funny thing is, none of them get off the plane so I guess they just think they're comedians.

First, Major Airlines subcontract not because they hate to pay pilots, but because of the cost associated with the entire flight. There is no sense in flying 49 people on a 737 from New York to Buffalo, no profit will be made.

There no secret that regionals are flying mainline size jets on former mainline routes for regional pay.

Yes, blame it on mainline pilots giving up scope, but the fact remains, there is a pilot group willing to fly mainline size jets on mainline routes for drastically lower pay than in the past. For management, it makes great business sense.

Latest resources

Back