Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Disgruntled furloughed Midwest pilot accuses "regional pilots" being inferior airmen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This tool should be brought up on ALPA Article [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]VIII charges.

As for anyone else who is jumping on the bash commuter pilots wagon....How much experience did these guys have that crashed good airplanes?

FedEx 1478
American 587
FedEx 14
American 965
Southwest 1455
Delta 1141
Northwest 255

And, how many J4J (US Airways) pilots who came to PSA couldn't make it through training?[/SIZE][/FONT]

There no secret that regionals are flying mainline size jets on former mainline routes for regional pay.

Yes, blame it on mainline pilots giving up scope, but the fact remains, there is a pilot group willing to fly mainline size jets on mainline routes for drastically lower pay than in the past. For management, it makes great business sense.

I don't want to blame anyone. I want everyone to accept that they all play a part. I don't believe there is a mainline pilot now that wouldn't have flown a "mainline size jet" on a mainline route for a regional for regional pay when they had 1000TT. If they say they wouldn't they're lying. For them now to blame regional pilots is BS! I'm flying a jet because they were above it at a major, but they would have flown it 10 years ago at a regional if it existed.

Besides, what is a "mainline size jet"? 50 seats, well not according to mainline pilots. 60 seats? 70 seats?

Why is it determined by the number of seats? Why not gross weight or type? How about the number of departures done each day by a crew?

How about turboprops? 74 seats? It seems to me mainline pilots determine what mainline size jets are not management.

I'm sure SkyWest didn't tell United they were going to buy jets and operate them. I'm sure SkyWest didn't tell mainline pilots they were above flying such little jets.

But I am sure that if we all keep bashing each other and only looking out for ourselves this industry will get better, oh yeah, much better.

eP.

Besides, what is a "mainline size jet"? 50 seats, well not according to mainline pilots. 60 seats? 70 seats?

Mainline pilots determine that with their scope, I would guess.

They give it up in order to keep their jobs, so management can farm that flying out to lower paid pilots to lower costs so they can get investor money to "restructure" or come out of bankruptcy or whatever. It makes great business sense! Lower costs!

The problem is the unintended consequences of pushing the experienced pilots out of the profession (60 percent of the USAir pilots that were offered recall...who incidently would have been furloughed again had they accepted recall) has made it less safe.

You dont have that with normal cost cutting measures at most businesses. Lowering labor costs at a sugar refinery doesnt affect safety by pushing out the experienced workers. Cut the UAW's salary like the airlines, and you may have a mass exodus of experienced workers, but you dont have cars and trucks falling apart on the interstate killing people.

Blame ALPA. They screwed it all up by trying to represent both majors and regionals.

SOURCE: Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel
http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/39999982.html

One of the nasty little secrets that the airline companies don't want the traveling public to know is that although the ticket was sold as a Continental Airlines flight, the actual company doing the flying was Colgan Airways of Manassas, Va.

That nasty little secret is printed on every boarding pass and website where the tickets are sold.

Of course, the results are quite predictable when the combined flying experience aboard most mainline air carriers is greater than the combined ages of those flying at regional air carriers.
Capt. Scott B. Kaley

By far, the worst airline disaster in history was piloted by a 12,000 hour pilot with KLM. He was also a training Captain. The other pilot of the other aircraft involved in the accident had 21,000 hours. In the case of KLM 4805, it was the less experienced FO that tried to talk him out of doing the takeoff. Around 500 people died.
http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-pa1736.shtml
------------------

excuse me but dont most main line pilots start out as regional inexperianced ones? or do you high time guys just start flying big stuff right out of the box? cant imagine other then bitterness why someone thats supposed to be in a faternity of brothers would say anything so degrading. seems like he's on a crusade to try and ruin the jobs for the few who still have one!! Get a Life, sad to think that someone has to say crap about others because he is furloughed. Although true it may turn out that the buffalo flight could have been handled better or differantly but have some simpathy for those who died. Even those experianced pilots make mistakes as quoted serveral times by others but am sure the fine Capt. failed to mention that when he was ranting to the news media.

excuse me but dont most main line pilots start out as regional inexperienced ones?

No, mainline pilots are born in a double-breasted suit.

kf4amu said:
The problem is the unintended consequences of pushing the experienced pilots out of the profession (60 percent of the USAir pilots that were offered recall...who incidently would have been furloughed again had they accepted recall) has made it less safe.

Flawed logic.

How many of those 60 percent declining recall do you think really left aviation?

Now many of them went to FedEx, UPS, Southwest, ATA, World, Polar, Emirates, Delta, NWA, AirTran, JetBlue, Spirit, USA3000, kept their J4J job at Republic, got hired by a corporate operator or a fractional like Netjets, started instructing at FlightSafety or even went to America West?

If anything, the "experience" those pilots brought to the profession has been spread further around aviation...actually making it safer.

There no secret that regionals are flying mainline size jets on former mainline routes for regional pay.

Yes, blame it on mainline pilots giving up scope, but the fact remains, there is a pilot group willing to fly mainline size jets on mainline routes for drastically lower pay than in the past. For management, it makes great business sense.

The fact is...yes,there is a pilot group that is willing to pick up flying another pilot group gave away.

Another fact is..."mainline" pilots work for drastically lower pay.

Latest resources

Back