Discussion with the V.P @ Skywest. ASA lookout

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ineedabrew

"From our discussion with .............., VP Planning, the Company has not yet signed an agreement for flying the 12 aircraft being pulled from the Midwest System. The Company has been pursuing several ideas including pro-rate with current partners and other more creative options.

For Delta in the fall our 700-900 flying should be fairly consistent. For the 200s, we currently have 49 aircraft in the SLC system. The initial outlook was that we would only be flying 40 in SLC in September. After some negotiation, it appears that we will have the opportunity to fly approx seven 200s out of the ATL and CVG regions, flowing crews out of the current domiciles, keeping 38-39 in SLC. Some of that eastern flying will be pulled back into SLC in November and beyond. So for a few months you may see SLC and other crews flowing east on extended trips. These plans are tentative and subject to change."

Looks like DAL's not going to be cutting our flying all that much this fall thanks in part to Mgmnt's creative abilities.

But ASA crews will have a little more to complain about with SKW securing some at-risk CR2 flying for September and October out of ATL and CVG. I'm puzzled why ASA Mgmnt hasn't been more proactive in pursuing "pro-rate flying and other more creative options" for ASA aircraft and crews.

Because ASA mgmt IS SKYW mgmt.....

-We all know who will get looked after first!

"From our discussion with .............., VP Planning, the Company has not yet signed an agreement for flying the 12 aircraft being pulled from the Midwest System. The Company has been pursuing several ideas including pro-rate with current partners and other more creative options.

For Delta in the fall our 700-900 flying should be fairly consistent. For the 200s, we currently have 49 aircraft in the SLC system. The initial outlook was that we would only be flying 40 in SLC in September. After some negotiation, it appears that we will have the opportunity to fly approx seven 200s out of the ATL and CVG regions, flowing crews out of the current domiciles, keeping 38-39 in SLC. Some of that eastern flying will be pulled back into SLC in November and beyond. So for a few months you may see SLC and other crews flowing east on extended trips. These plans are tentative and subject to change."

Looks like DAL's not going to be cutting our flying all that much this fall thanks in part to Mgmnt's creative abilities.

But ASA crews will have a little more to complain about with SKW securing some at-risk CR2 flying for September and October out of ATL and CVG. I'm puzzled why ASA Mgmnt hasn't been more proactive in pursuing "pro-rate flying and other more creative options" for ASA aircraft and crews.

Jerry tells Brad what to do. I'm sure after all of skyw's planes are placed, then and only then will they begin to place asa planes.

Funny you mention that. ASA management mentioned that ASA would be flowing crews through SLC on extended trips.

Truth be told, they have to take care of Skywest first. Otherwise Skywest would be more inclined to go union if they did not have the satisfaction of doing better than ASA. We shoulda pushed harder for the Union at Skywest! Ouch.

I know it will NEVER happen becuase the ASA guys will never do it. But if we dont push for one list now, we are screwed in the long run. If we dont threaten with a huge slow down or walk out and force management to merge the list of asa and skywest we will never, and i repeat never, get the growth and expansion again. Even if we do get one piece of expansion it will be because skywest already got the other 4.

If you are junior and ever want to upgrade you had better wake up. If you are senior and, like me, a 'lifer' you had better wake up as ASA in its present form will NOT exist in 10 years.

I know it will NEVER happen becuase the ASA guys will never do it. But if we dont push for one list now, we are screwed in the long run. If we dont threaten with a huge slow down or walk out and force management to merge the list of asa and skywest we will never, and i repeat never, get the growth and expansion again. Even if we do get one piece of expansion it will be because skywest already got the other 4.

If you are junior and ever want to upgrade you had better wake up. If you are senior and, like me, a 'lifer' you had better wake up as ASA in its present form will NOT exist in 10 years.

Delta does not exist in the present form that it did ten years ago. I'll take one list if means kicking ALPA off the property. I am not to big on the idea of not having representation but I am not a huge fan ALPA either. With what SW has demonstrated in the past is that an overwhelmingly number of their pilots don't feel the need for a union. I'd run the risk to put the two together.

Last edited:
Funny you mention that. ASA management mentioned that ASA would be flowing crews through SLC on extended trips.

Truth be told, they have to take care of Skywest first. Otherwise Skywest would be more inclined to go union if they did not have the satisfaction of doing better than ASA. We shoulda pushed harder for the Union at Skywest! Ouch.

When did ASA Mgmt. say this? I know there was a rumor last year that ASA would flow through the SLC system, but nothing concrete.

Trojan

How would we begin to go one list. ALPA isn't going to do it. The company doesn't seem to want it either. I believe, Skywest pilots wouldn't want it since we would be a little senior. So is it even an option? What are our options? I would take PBS with one list! I like what ALPA has done for us in the past, but they are looking like a flat tire lately. Going one list would save the company money and stop the whipsaw when future contracts come up. One list says I!

well, it is not in the interest of the company nor the interest of skywest pilots to one list.

We are the only ones with anything to lose with status quo. Our only chance it to demand it or walk out. People dont realize that if we dont that we will be shrunk to nothing or gone altogether.

When American tried a slow down, they got a huge fine to APA. The difference is, if ALPA gets a HUGE fine, then who cares? This is our only leverage.

people, this is a HUGE deal. look at Comair... do you want to be them in 3, 5, 7 years from now??

Status Quo---if you are junior, you will never upgrade, if you are super senior and want retire at ASA, it wont be here in 10 years. Do you wanna be 47 or 57 with no place to go? We are all in this together... if we wait too long, it wont matter

Last edited:
We should have pushed for it in the last negotiations....but the majority wanted pay and workrules instead....There is an election coming up, and the current group won't make this a priority.

The price will be higher now then it would have been during the last contract negotiations....Doesn't matter how much you like ALPA, or love leading pay and workrules, if you don't have a job anymore....

Latest resources

Back