• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discussion with the V.P @ Skywest. ASA lookout

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If United fails, that is the end of ASA. Skywest will be hardly affected.

So you're saying that Skywest will take over the ASA flying to keep its pilots and flight attendants employed and layoff all the ASA pilots? But Skywest will need the other employees at ASA. You think morale with those employees will be good with Skywest crews moving into ATL at the expense of ASA crews?

Would it be legal to do? For sure ALPA would put up a flight.

How much notice does Skywest have to give the ASA crews that they're all being let go? 60 days or somewhere around that? The place would be burned to the ground before Skywest crews moved in. How do you think Skywest would go about pulling this off?

Last edited:
So you're saying that Skywest will take over the ASA flying to keep its pilots and flight attendants employed and layoff all the ASA pilots? But Skywest will need the other employees at ASA. You think morale with those employees will be good with Skywest crews moving into ATL at the expense of ASA crews?

How much notice does Skywest have to give the ASA crews that they're all being let go? 60 days or somewhere around that? The place would be burned to the ground before Skywest crews moved in. How do you think Skywest would go about pulling this off?

It's happening as we speak, and I see no fires. We furlough and ask people to leave all while Skywest receives more flying.

To the morons that think slowing down, burning this place down, showing the man who's boss, this will not work remember our 900's that we didn't get. You need to express you feelings to our union and hold them accountable for our demands. Negativity at ASA will no longer work it will just accelerate our demise.

you are not listening. I am not interested in hearing what alpa has to say about it. Alpa cannot legally do anything until next negotiation and once that starts it'll be 4 years until its complete. I am talking about right now. The little leverage we have is becoming less and less with each furlough and each new 70 and 76 seater at skywest. COmair is a shell of what is used to be and as of right now SKywest could not afford to have parked ASA aircraft. I hope I am wrong but i absolutely believe that if we sit back a la comair we will suffer the same fate. alpa is impotent in this becuase they have no legal grounds to do anything accept protest stenuously. But since this is not the soviet union, we cant et thrown in jail for not coming to work and if we all just stopped coming to work until there was one list this would be done in 24 hours.

you are not listening. I am not interested in hearing what alpa has to say about it. Alpa cannot legally do anything until next negotiation and once that starts it'll be 4 years until its complete. I am talking about right now. The little leverage we have is becoming less and less with each furlough and each new 70 and 76 seater at skywest. COmair is a shell of what is used to be and as of right now SKywest could not afford to have parked ASA aircraft. I hope I am wrong but i absolutely believe that if we sit back a la comair we will suffer the same fate. alpa is impotent in this becuase they have no legal grounds to do anything accept protest stenuously. But since this is not the soviet union, we cant et thrown in jail for not coming to work and if we all just stopped coming to work until there was one list this would be done in 24 hours.

So do we decertify? If so, who's going to run with that ball?

how about this; Skywest transfers A/C from ASA to Skywest and offers ASA crews comperable seniortiy to what they hold now at ASA.

I'm first in line. Good ridence ALPA

I'll take one list if means kicking ALPA off the property. I am not to big on the idea of not having representation but I am not a huge fan ALPA either. With what SW has demonstrated in the past is that an overwhelmingly number of their pilots don't feel the need for a union. I'd run the risk to put the two together.

What dont you like about ALPA?

Skywest voted out ALPA but an independent stand alone union is still viable.

One of the three union drives was an independent, if I understand correctly. They voted that down as well.

They wouldnt do it in 60 days. They would start by having skw crews do some ATL flying and slowly but subtly increase it. In other words, put in the replacements before pulling the plug on ASA. Thats assuming that is what they want to do to begin with.

how about this; Skywest transfers A/C from ASA to Skywest and offers ASA crews comperable seniortiy to what they hold now at ASA.

I'm first in line. Good ridence ALPA

Thanks to ALPA, they negotiated that very language for you already. Its in your contract.

Damn..... Some of you guys need to pick up that little white & Blue book and read the damn thing! AKA YOUR CONTRACT!
1. NO MORE FURLOUGHS. (If your name is in the book) (only AD or act of war)
2. Transfer of aircraft is covered. (We go with the planes in simple terms)

If you guys have heartburn with ALPA. Get involved and change it. Run for office. Hell, just vote next time!
Stop all the hand ringing, because we furloughed.
Stop all this "I rather not have a union at all crap"! Your a managers wet dream. You think job security is scary now, wait until you have one without a contract! I've had both.
If evil is afoot, we will stop it together! WITH A UNION!

Turn off the Glenn Beck show for a while, its making you guys paranoid.

Last edited:
So do we decertify? If so, who's going to run with that ball?

I am not against alpa at all. They are great for hotel grievences and day to day operations but alpa is bound by the RLA. As an employee, we are not. They can fine ALPA, just like they did APA, but thats about it. They can't throw you in jail for not coming to work. They can ultimatly fire you yes, but lets be honest. Id rather fight now, while we have leverage than let ASA become comair.

As far as the contract, no furlough clause and transfer of jets, etc. They don't have to trasfer jets. All they have to do it put new ones at skywest and return ours to a vendor. Every RFP will go to the skywest guys. Sure we may get a few 90's to make everyone happy but for every 90 we get,we will lose 2 50's, and skywest will get 5 90's. Do you remember after the last round of BK's when the judge allowed the pensions of US AIR guys to be raided( once untouchable), only to be replaced with $.20 cents on the dollar of the PBGC that they would have any trouble with a contract of a pissant little company like ASA and a furlough or transfer clause?? seriously?

guys.. wake up. Skywest and jerry are clearly one of the players, we either one list or we skrink and die.

This time around we are all in this together. If you are senior and plan on making ASA your career, think again. You could be an unemployed airline pilot at 48 or 50 years or older. or is you are junior and want to move on to the big iron... you are never gonna upgrade here unless we fight for onelist

Last edited:
What dont you like about ALPA?

Thanks to ALPA, they negotiated that very language for you already. Its in your contract.
don't like anything about alpa

i know its in the contract. thats why i said it silly. ain't it great? alpa finally does something right and it could lead to us finally getting ride of that bunch of extortionists

Latest resources

Back