Difficult Airports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
Ah....people on the ground bitchin about noise.....now I follow ya...that does suck

-mini

Mini - yeah its been about 6 months since I've been there, but look through the procedure and there are "gates" that you have to go through at certain DME's and Altitudes or else they bust on you. I was out there in a Diamondjet (read, not a lot of performance), and Departure was complaining cuz we weren't keeping 250 kts!! Either I make the gates or your speed - what would you like? I know what I'm gonna do!

Sled - SMO I only landed at from SFO and then airlined out of the area, but yeah - it certainly looked like a PITA noise abatement. Hmmm...you live near the airport yet complain about the noise..........go figure. Sounds like Naples, FL where I missed getting to go there in the Falcon 20 - I think they'd have had problems with us...ugg!

Oh...I get it - you're just sore cuz you don't have the special authorization for that ASE approach, aren't 'ya??!! HAHAHAHA - nanny nanny boo f'n boo. Care to make it 4555 idiot? :p :uzi:

Never needed it before...been flying there for years without any difficulty.

At least you come off sounding professional...that's the main thing. Sounds like it's all you've got going for you.

Be sure to write when you master basic English, will you?

Be sure to write me an apology d*$k when you call the FSDO and I prove you wrong.......HAHAHAHAHAA!! At least you're at 4557 now with that one - try landing at night bubba....HAHAHAHAAA!!

Oh...Master this...

You're quite the bright little conversationalist too, aren't you?

Professional and articulate. Folks must be lining up to hire you.

Once again, when you learn to speak English, let us know. Sounds like it will be quite an accomplishment. We'll throw you a party.

Well...pal...I've been working for the same company for 3 yrs & I've done quite well for myself. I don't care to be 'hired' anymore, so I honestly don't care what you think. I speak English quite well thank you, but simply bring myself down to a level that you can understand, sir.

Anyway - anyone else have any ugly airports they hate. Would love to hear about them instead of me bickering with this 'wanna be'...yes - my words. Sorry to all those really wanting to read an actual thread instead of someone who can't stand to be proven wrong. 4558 and counting - glad I'm working and don't have so many..................WTF do you do anyway? Oh, save it for another thread or PM me back like a man.

EagleRJ said:
As for airports where GA and airline traffic mix, the absolute worst (of the controlled fields at least) is SBP.... there is one Local controller there who is completely helpless when working aircraft with widely differing groundspeeds
I know exactly who you are talking about. Older guy, precedes every transmission with a lengthly "AAAAhhhhhmmmmmm", likes you to report at really odd distances "Report 4 and 3/4 mile final", and a typical scenario goes something like this....

"Cessna 12345 turn base, cleared to land"

(5 seconds later)

"Eagle 123, slow to your minimum approach speed, be prepared for a go-around."

I've gone around probably 4 times at SBP, every time with this guy in the tower.

LAXSaabdude.

Fyi

I know I'm gonna regret this but....................
There are TWO Localizer approaches into KASE. The LOC/DME E (released recently) and the LOC/DME 15 which is what Pat has been talking about. The LOC/DME 15 is a SAAAR approach which has very defined training/currency requirements. BTW thias approach is about as AFU as they come. There are 11 (ELEVEN) exceptions to TERPs on this approach. Most are minor but some are fairly significant. The big thing that WILL KILL someone on this appproach is the required level of crew coordination. There is way to much tuning and twisting on this bad boy and it necessitates decent rates in excess of 1100 FPM or approximately a 4.55 degree glide slope until intercepting the PAPI (which incidently is a 3.5 degrees). I won't even go into the missed but suffice it to say it is very aggressive and requires the utmost attention and positive input or you WILL NOT out climb the terrain.
There is also another "special" approach in KASE. It is the GPS Z which IMHO is much more stable than the LOC/DME 15.
Pat, just curious, do you have a balked landing escape procedure for the possibility of having to go around after passing the MAP? Because executing the published missed after WULOP will not keep you clear of the rocks.
BTW, I believe I am operator # 23 to now be authorized for this and I'm hoping like h#ll to return it back to only 22.

Last edited:
Rice...I don't have the plate in front of me, but after WULOP you are committed if something goes awry...Actually, I will never find out because I will not shoot it to minimums anyway. We use it mostly for night time (yes avbugger - night time!) when its marginal.
However, thank you for mentioning the approach - its good to see that someone else knows of it.

hey avcrapper....nanny nanny boo boo choker

Well it's official.. the winner is.. Aspen. It seems like the regulars into that particular venue have a little higher blood pressure than most. ha ha J/K guys. It really is all in fun ;) . I havn't had the pleasure of the tall Colorado escapes, in a Beechjet, Agcat, or even a 180hp C-150, but I look forward to checking it out if I ever work in that area.

Latest resources

Back