Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fred Rogers

Neighbor
I'm curious what people think is the most difficult / pain in the rear airport to get in and out of. If it's crowded, poorly laid out, poorly managed, record ground stops, whatever you think is the crappiest airport to fly in and out of.

My vote by the way is LaGuardia, it can be a real mess.

LaGuardia is like a breath of fresh air compared to White Plains, NY. The single worst-managed airport I've had the displeasure of flying into.

My record is 2 hours and 45 minutes waiting for a gate, after an hour and a half flight.. In a 1900. With no bathroom. At least they got me a van for the passengers when I informed gate control, after about 45 minutes of waiting, that I would be declaring an emergency and parking between two gates in five minutes if they didn't get these passengers off and to a bathroom now. I still can't believe it worked. :D

For those unfamiliar, White Plains has 4 gates, and no airline owns any of them. They have "gate slots." You land, you call on 122.95, and they tell you what gate you're going to. Problems arise when Chicago closes down, United and American are on gates, and aren't moving until the ground stop lifts. Which can be hours.

It's an intolerable situation, created solely by the local residents, who didn't want the new airport any bigger than the one it replaced. They reap what they sow, and when the passengers complain to me (as of course they do -- they're trapped on our plane), I write down the name (Andrew Spano) and phone number 914-995-8353 of their Westchester County Executive. The airlines aren't the ones to complain to.

It's an awful, awful place. I'd rather spend all day in Laguardia, any day.

Last edited:
Difficult........ASE, EGE

Pain in the A$$ (delays)......TEB, HPN, SDL, FLL

I know there are about 10 I left out

Last edited:
Haha, HPN is the first airport that popped into my mind too. Although, that overnight is fantastic.

ATC at NCE. Military at LETO (Torrejon). DHS at DCA. TC

Cle controllers are the worst. Runway switching multiple times. 35 mile finals.

Latest resources

Back