Difficult Airports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
con-pilot said:
Okay, what about China? What do you want to know?

I didn't want to know anything. I remember reading through a thread a while back where people were asking about the worst ATC. People here started mentioning a few and then somebody brought up China. Then all of the sudden everyone followed with "oh yea! China is the worst!".

Marsh Harbour - This Airport is proof that you don't need ATC, period. Sure, you got near misses all the time, but it works. I'm just happy I don't fly in there anymore... :cool:

People here started mentioning a few and then somebody brought up China. Then all of the sudden everyone followed with "oh yea! China is the worst!".

Really, I must have missed that thread. From my experience of operating in China I had little or no problems with ATC. Now they are in very strict compliance with ICAO ATC language and procedures and that will sometimes confuse US pilots with little international experience.

For Western countries to me the worse controllers language wise are the French, it could be just me, but I have a real hard time understanding them.

Now, back to the topic of this thread every airport I have been to in China are large and well built. Most of them have acres and acres of concrete ramp space just sitting empty. The only exception is Beijing, but even there I wouldn't call it crowded.

Occam's Razor said:
USS Midway (CV-41). Small deck, only 3 wires, and it did this funky little shimmy when it was making wind. (Come to think of it...so do I!) The layovers kinda sucked too, although it was refreshingly bereft of Air Force types.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not the most difficult to fly into but definentally the most interesting. JAS (Jasper County, TX). After my friend and I landed in our beautiful (lol) seneca we had the enjoyment of finding a note on the FBO door that said to please call this number for service. Good thing for the invention of the cell phone cause there was no pay phone in sight. Called the guy up and he responded, (southern accent) well alllriiight, I'll be there in bout 15 mins. Lovely. Get's better. So he finally arrives and I run to the restroom only to come out to my buddy giving me the weirdest look. The FBO operator had left and my buddy proceeded to tell me that the FBO operator had approached him while I was in the restroom and asked him, (southern accent) ya'll boys got crack in that plane? I almost died. My biggest regret was that I was not there when he asked because I would have at least been able to sell him some of the crack we had on board! LOL! Good times!

Last edited:
overnight??

I want to know were you hang out on a RON in HPN we are bored off our a$$ when we stay there.

labbats said:
Haha, HPN is the first airport that popped into my mind too. Although, that overnight is fantastic.

teb has my vote.
Don't start engines until Ground tell you to.
After you start, wait in line.

Hardest to divert from

Ascension Island, S. Atlantic Ocean. British base used in Falklands war--also has NASA tracking station. Runway has a big hump and is between two lava-rock hills. Nearest alternate is about 1200 miles away!

I like TEX, ASE, EGE and SUN for the reward of the challenge. Besides, as a bonus you often get MTJ, GJT, RIL and TWF instead anyway! Wx can be the difference between an easy day and a real hassle. I live for windy days. If only the charter coordinators could be made to understand the logistics of mountain charters. As soon as you get one half trained, they quit for a higher paying job at Starbuck's. So nobody bothers.

Hate LAS and SFO for the delays. DTW for incomprehensible taxi instructions and routing. PHL for the rudest and least competent ATC. BOS for their ridiculous attempts to appear "security minded". ACK for the mile-long ramp full of jets served by a phone-booth-sized FBO. FLL customs. (enough said!) Did I mention I hate Vegas?

Though they have their challenges when the weather comes in, I respect what TEB and MDW ATC do and have not had any bad experiences there. Bring your "A" game though. And remember, wind is fun!

A couple of other airports deserving of mention are Tuckee-Tahoe (TRK) for it's mountain challenges and SMO for it's subtle but numerous headaches.

Favorite destination? Vancouver, BC. (CYVR) Love it!

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Best,

charter dog

Latest resources

Back