• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Difficult Airports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SJA. Actually, Lopez can be very demanding with a strong southwest wind, but Crane and SW are always a challenge in a heavy 207.

I haven't seen anyone mention Telluride, CO at 9,063 ft elevation and 6,800 ft runway, no landing long or short there. I will concur with Aspen as well, very tricky.

Aspen is fun as long as its clear!! LOL As far as EGE goes, ATC kinda forgot about me on the LOC approach there - kept me at 15,000' after RLG VOR and on an 8 mile final I thought, "This must be what its like in the Space Shuttle"!! And then to smack me in the face they let a 757 depart when I was on a 2 mile final....umm, 'scuse me...I'm tryin' to land here. :) That was pretty funny. Luckily we were picking up pax and were empty at the time.

Also when in PBI after my initial Falcon training I had to do my 3 landings - the rental pilot we had said, "We'll go to Vero to do that". Not knowing FL airports I said, "okay"...then it was 'Traffic, traffic, traffic' - 'Do not decend' - 'Do not climb' - 'Which one of you said VRB was a good place to go'. I guess I should have known Flight Safety was based there - duh!! But hey, I got a great first-hand flying experience in the new airplane :)

Aspen, Eagle, Telluride. But the single most dangerous airport I ever flew into was St. Augustine FL. before they put in the tower...Dunno if its better now but back then it was a deathtrap...

wiggle your big toe...

Kmhw

Certainly not the most difficult but for grins you might go out to Moses Lake, WA on some gusty day with three or four C-17's in the pattern doing all sorts of unorthadox approaches and go-arounds, along with maybe one or two Boeing test beds or pilot trainers and then just to make it interesting a Japan Airlines B747 doing approaches to the recipricol runway that you are using. Gets hard to keep up with all the action. Lots of TA's going off all the time. Hats off to the controllers on those days.

I never really thought of an airport as being difficult. It it's difficult, why land there in the first place?

Eagle has a wide open approach...not what one would term "difficult."

Aspen...water flows downhill, so do you. There are big rocks in the area, but there's a lot of space between the rocks, and that's where Aspen is. Any place that was home to John Denver can't be dangerous, and Aspen is only dangerous if you make it so.

Telluride...I went in there this summer and watched a Cessna 150 towing sailplanes off that ruway. That should say it all, right there. Difficult? It's a little downhill, but also uphill once you reach the middle. Departing, you have lots of altitude right off the bat, and the gaps in the terrain all go downhill. Good food in town, friendly folks, not at all difficult.

There's a few fields out there a little more challenging than others, but difficult?

Anybody ever land at Sandwash, UT?

Latest resources

Back