• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Difficult Airports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like the busy airports because of the scenery. ATL, BOS, ORD, LGA, EWR, JFK,PHL. Getting paid the little we do to watch a 747 go around at 50 feet is pretty cool.

ORD gate hold for 2 hours in the middle of a trip never bothered me.

good stuff

These are very interesting. I almost completely forgot about the mess that is L.A. A gazillion little airplanes going this way and that, mixed in with tons of rich folks (and all you "lucky" people who fly them) in and out of VanNuys and every other airport down there.

As to the previous post, FC- I agree that I don't mind the delays in the middle of the trip.. but doesn't it always seem to run smooth in the middle, and then on your friday... big constipation? Maybe it's just cause you're excited to get home and everything feels like it takes twice as long.

With very limited experience, I would have to say...

IFR: CLE
VFR: BKL

Why is it CLE can issue me a taxi clearance to 24L or 6R for departure after I get my clearance...then half way there, I'm at a dead stop while they switch me to 6L or 24R depending on where the winds are at? And why is it that they don't get how in a 172 I can be ready at 24L at L right NOW (since I did just tell ground "N123 can be ready now for the intersection departure") for IMMEDIATE takeoff (and yes...I see the SWA 737 on 5 mile final...I'll beat him out....let me goooooo! Please!) or how I can take 6R from N and be ready right NOW rather than have me taxi behind a CAL 757 alllllllllll the way to the end, then have me wait the 3-4 minutes after he goes when I coulda beat him out in the first place? I know first come first serve....but how about we use some common sense too.

As for BKL...if I want to leave VFR to the East...why do they put me on a hdg/alt restriction that puts me right through CGF's class D. (then CLE app doesn't want me in the Bravo and doesn't want me to talk to CGF tower either...wtf?) I only needed to do that once (after another pilot warned me :rolleyes:) to never go in/out of there VFR again.

...but I've heard TEB is bad too.

-mini

I've seen a lot of LGA mentioned, but I haven't seen one mention of the reason LGA sucks. The airport is fine when the Jamaican lady isn't anywhere near the airport. She shows up and ends up with aircraft pointed nose to nose on A and B.

Someone might have mentioned it, but I dont know the identifier anymore, but never really cared landing in Guantanamo Bay.....fine landing on 28 but didnt care much for 10, at least not in the lead sled.

From a "technical" point of view the toughest domestic US airports would probably be ASE, followed closely by EGE. When it comes to the rest, and I've been to all of the ones mentioned, if you've been to one you've more or less been to them all. (After all, just how tough is getting vectored to final?) The fun doesn't really begin until after you've landed.

'Sled

Sled knows what I'm talkin about. If I didnt have to worry about paying the bills, I'd give the boss "four thumbs down" to ASE and EGE.

Last edited:
Intl airports; The old FUNCHAL, Madeira Island before the lengthened the runway was fun. (LPMA)

Latest resources

Back