• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Differences in Jepp and NOS Lexington charts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A little information. I flew out of LEX this morning. The whole layout by A, 26 and even the departure end of 22 are very modified and look completely different than previous visits. Neither Jepp or NOS diagrams are presently accurate. Please read USA Today article for the new airport layout. This information only represents layout today, I don't know what it looked like on the day of the crash.

The taxiway lead-in from A over 26 appears to have been moved because it now brings you south of the numbers rather them over the numbers on 26. Looking straight ahead A is barricaded between 22 and 26 and the threshold of 22 is relocated 400-600 feet south of old location at the intersection of 22 and A, (just to the NE of A5 and doesn't align with any taxiway) the old northernmost section of runway is painted unusable for aircraft. 22 touchdown lights, centerline lights and runway distance remaining signs are notamed out of service. The 22 notam about the changed length states: LEX 4/22 ASDA 7003 TORA 7003 TODA 70003 LDA 6603 WEF 06082022200. Our airline had temp data for a 6603 departure which requires a backtaxi of 22 from A5 to use full length with new threshold. The closure of A between 22 and 26 is not notamed. The closure was not stated on uesterdays ATIS when I flew in but was stated on this morning's ATIS on departure. The new threshold location on 22 is not explicitly mentioned by NOTAM or ATIS. We quarried approach about the A closure and were told it wouldn't have been mentioned in yesterday's ATIS because technically A no longer exists, a new taxiway A7 will eventually be built that leads in to 22s new threshold.

And a little more.

I landed 22 a couple weeks ago while they were paving txwy A. There were no NOTAMS published or on the ATIS about the closure and we were not informed by the tower. We exited the rwy onto A and were then asked if we could back up because A was closed north of us. Needless to say, backing up is not really an option, and we ended up having to turn around on a narrow taxiway(80') to get back on 22 for a back taxi. We very nearly ended up in the grass.

This really wasn't a safety issue but it does seem to point to the cavalier way they have shared info with the pilots about this construction.

A little information about the present layout in LEX. I flew in yesterday afternoon and out this morning. The layout today of 22, 26 and A is completely different from previous visits. Neither the JEPP or NOS depicts the current airport layout at all. Please look at USA Today article.

Taxiing up A to 26 it appears the taxiway centerline has moved because it now leads you south of the numbers painted on 26 directly across to A5 not over the numbers of 26 like before. Taxiway A is barricaded closed between 26 and 22 (not a NOTAMed closure, the closure of A wasn't stated on yesterdays ATIS but was on this mornings). Looking straight ahead of 22 the threshold has been relocated 400-600 feet southwest of old position and the new threshold is just south of A5 and doesn't align with any taxiway. The old northernmost departure end is painted unusable by aircraft.

Runway 22 has several items notamed OTS - centerline lights, REILS, touchdown zone lights and runway distance remaining signs. The notam about the changed threshold is not explicit is states: LEX 4/22 ASDA 7003 TORA 7003 TODA 7003 LDA 6603 WEF 0608202200. 6603 appears to be the new usable length of the runway but we have no updated diagram depicting this length, the closure of Alpha, the back taxi required of 22 for a full length takeoff and the new actual length of 22.

We quarried approach control about why A's closure wasn't on the ATIS yesterday and he stated the tecnically A no longer exists between 22 and 26, a new taxiway will eventually be built that aligns with the new threshold of 22 and that will be named A7.

usa today

asmn said:
A little information about the present layout in LEX. I flew in yesterday afternoon and out this morning. The layout today of 22, 26 and A is completely different from previous visits. Neither the JEPP or NOS depicts the current airport layout at all. Please look at USA Today article.

Taxiing up A to 26 it appears the taxiway centerline has moved because it now leads you south of the numbers painted on 26 directly across to A5 not over the numbers of 26 like before. Taxiway A is barricaded closed between 26 and 22 (not a NOTAMed closure, the closure of A wasn't stated on yesterdays ATIS but was on this mornings). Looking straight ahead of 22 the threshold has been relocated 400-600 feet southwest of old position and the new threshold is just south of A5 and doesn't align with any taxiway. The old northernmost departure end is painted unusable by aircraft.

Runway 22 has several items notamed OTS - centerline lights, REILS, touchdown zone lights and runway distance remaining signs. The notam about the changed threshold is not explicit is states: LEX 4/22 ASDA 7003 TORA 7003 TODA 7003 LDA 6603 WEF 0608202200. 6603 appears to be the new usable length of the runway but we have no updated diagram depicting this length, the closure of Alpha, the back taxi required of 22 for a full length takeoff and the new actual length of 22.

We quarried approach control about why A's closure wasn't on the ATIS yesterday and he stated the tecnically A no longer exists between 22 and 26, a new taxiway will eventually be built that aligns with the new threshold of 22 and that will be named A7.

Do you have link to article? Cannot find. Thanks.

Got a great dive on the Duane last year, believe it or not, almost no current!! Water is lot warmer than Maine as well!

The article in USA Today with the new layout should be http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-08-28-ntsb-kentucky-crash_x.htm .

Scroll down to look at the "new taxi route" which includes a significant permanent move of the threshold of 22 at least 400 feet southwest and aligns the threshold with no taxiway, the old departure end of 22 is now the safety zone. Most articles have described the safety zone in a way that leads you to believe it is north of the original 22, not accomplished by repainting 100s of feet of 22.

A change of runway by 400 feet is not simply a taxiway realignment. The LEX manager talks about the new taxi route as if this realignment was minor and common knowledge, however it was never published, wasn't Notam'd clearly (such as a new threshold of 22 relocated --- feet SW NOTAM) and had no temporary airport diagrams (pending construction of A7) for crew use. Other airports issue temporary diagrams during construction for the crews and Notam changes in the departure location on a runway.

John Pennekamp said:
Y'all are missing MY point. Nobody uses NOS, everybody used Jepp. So the Jepp being wrong could have had a lot to do with it SINCE NOBODY USES NOS. Get it?

Nobody uses NOS? I guess I'm a nobody.... Houston Hobby almost got me one night with 12L/R and 17 mess...too many runway signs and short taxiways between them...however those runways all have a considerable length.

Last edited:
All this talk about taxi ways and thresholds...the compass was still 40 degrees off...

Latest resources

Back