Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Did JBLU a320 land with 1000 pounds fuel?

• Thread starter buttercup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 27

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA/FO said:
You can't pull the CVR unless there was an accident, right?

I believe the airline can pull the CVR at their discretion provided the CVR is NOT under the jurisdiction of the FAA or NTSB as would be the case in a reportable accident or incident.

With the former, I can't imagine the CVR wouldn't be used in an investigation to potentially terminate a pilot.

As previously mentioned, CVR data cannot be used in any type of "certificate" action. Termination is another matter.

According to a friend, JBLU had a similar incident when they were brand-new, maybe a JBLU'er will post the details.

It involved overflying JFK.

I believe this to be true. I heard of this story but I heard of it two years ago while I was doing type training at Pan Am academy. I over heard that one of their instructors (Pan Am) was involved with this incident. Which meant he was fired & now working at Pan Am Academy in Miami. I believe he used to work at Mesa.

It happened in 2000 while the airline was in its infancy. And it was a little over 2000# not 1000. They also diverted to BUF from JFK and were led to believe the airport was going to open up sooner rather than later, and it didn't-- held way too long and instead of a suitable SWF/ROC/SYR alternate, the only good airfield was BUF... They sent both pilots to MIA for additional training, and the pair failed to show any progress in diversion techniques and descision making qualities among other issues. Since then, the airline has fired 3 more pilots-- One after 9/11 when a further background check showed he lied about several events in life, one for faillure to pee for a drug/alcohol test, and one for inappropriate behavior. 5 in 6 years, that's a miniscule number when compared with the rest of the industry.

radarlove said:
According to a friend, JBLU had a similar incident when they were brand-new, maybe a JBLU'er will post the details.

It involved overflying JFK.

oh yeahhhhhhhh....i remember there was that one flight that left OAK to BOS back a few years back...it was a redeye and a LONG flight...no winds! apparently, both pilots fell asleep and overflew BOS by a few hours...woke up and saw lots of water...no problem...they diverted and landed safely in Dublin. they reconnected all pax on a shamrock a330 and sent them all booked first class sleeper seating to BOS. they then received the ALPA superior airmanship award for landing in Dublin with 150# per side. see they would slip the a/c left and right on final to keep enough gas going into the engine to keep it from flaming out...amazing example of airmanship i must say! a year later they got the nobel prize for customer service by reconnecting those pax in sleeper seats back to BOS!

I don't doubt the 1000lb landing. Heck that is a ton of fuel in a Cessna and based on the experience level they probably thought they had plenty ;)

32LT10 said:
I don't doubt the 1000lb landing. Heck that is a ton of fuel in a Cessna and based on the experience level they probably thought they had plenty ;)

How many times do we have to tell you... don't be bitter, just reapply in 6 months ;)

32LT10 said:

You sir, are a classless moron. That's all I have to say about that.

Latest resources

Back