Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Did JBLU a320 land with 1000 pounds fuel?

• Thread starter buttercup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 27

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something to think of when you are holding and the alternate is not so hot. Giving up early is sometimes a good deal.
Once had a captain wanting to hold for SJC below minimums and as we were approaching min fuel asked so if we start the approach and it goes below minimums and the alternate is rapidly going down to minimums what are we going to do next since all airports are below minimums in the area. Also all airlines would be deverting to SMF in the bay area his response was to land on the freeway. As it worked out SJC did go below minimums again after it opened up and we ended up at SMF with adequate fuel. I was a very happy person when I became a captain.

32LT10 said:
And to be more accurate the EEOC hiring was 88-91.

That is why YONITED continued to hire those with the same credentials long past this date?

Nice try Brain Surgeon...Nice try.

Boeingman said:
That is why YONITED continued to hire those with the same credentials long past this date?

Nice try Brain Surgeon...Nice try.

That practice was not restricted to Yonited. I had female and minority friends at other majors. After they were hired, they were asked by HR if they knew of any other minorities interested in working for DAL/NWAC/AMR/etc.

This is a widespread practice. If an average white guy is pissed about it, I'd suggest that they take a look at the percentage of female and minority pilots. Getting worked up over such a small number is not worth the effort.

And for the record, I'm as white as Wonder Bread.

Andy said:
That practice was not restricted to Yonited. I had female and minority friends at other majors. After they were hired, they were asked by HR if they knew of any other minorities interested in working for DAL/NWAC/AMR/etc.

This is a widespread practice. If an average white guy is pissed about it, I'd suggest that they take a look at the percentage of female and minority pilots. Getting worked up over such a small number is not worth the effort.

And for the record, I'm as white as Wonder Bread.

Not the point here Andy. I have zero problem with hiring minority pilots.

The point was United far exceed what was mandated by hiring numerous low time minorities. Fine. However no other airline hired with such low total time. Well, maybe PCL_128 bought his way into Gulfstream with a couple hundred hours of CFI time, but you get the idea.

The problem is, my problem is, you have one of your clown pilots on here harping about JetBlue because of some perceived minority hiring practice over there. When United's closet is as filthy as it really is on this subject it is really a hypocritical postion for that idiot to be spewing.

A350 said:
32LT10:

So what year were you hired, 88, 89, 90, or 91?

A350

Before those dates. Why you sending me am anniversary gift?

Boeingman said:
The point was United far exceed what was mandated by hiring numerous low time minorities. Fine. However no other airline hired with such low total time.

You don't know the history. UAL was sued and availed itself of a "consent decree", where to avoid further penalties, UAL was to make a proactive effort ("quotas") to right previous wrongs. The previous wrongs included hiring only white, male, ex-military.

To comply, UAL seperated the resumes into three stacks (metaphorically, I think). 1) Military pilots, 2) Civilian pilots, 3) Minority/women pilots.

When it came time to interview 30 applicants, UAL would take ten from pile one, ten from pile two and ten from pile three. Interestingly, pile three was generally empty. I knew a woman pilot who applied at 700 hours, got an interview, busted the sim, then got an unprompted telephone call six months later offering her another chance.

That's how UAL ended up hiring, in the same class, military guys with 1,000 hours, civilian guys with 6,000 hours and minorities with 700 hours.

Air Inc. at the time was tracking what it took to get an interview and the disparities were comical.

Latest resources

Back