Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Did JBLU a320 land with 1000 pounds fuel?

• Thread starter buttercup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 27

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A350 said:
32LT10:

A gift? Not likely.

A350

Please if you are going to get a gift please get at least 570 of them. My new hire mates would appreciate the thought. I hope that answers your question.

radarlove said:
You don't know the history. UAL was sued and availed itself of a "consent decree", where to avoid further penalties, UAL was to make a proactive effort ("quotas") to right previous wrongs. The previous wrongs included hiring only white, male, ex-military.

To comply, UAL seperated the resumes into three stacks (metaphorically, I think). 1) Military pilots, 2) Civilian pilots, 3) Minority/women pilots.

When it came time to interview 30 applicants, UAL would take ten from pile one, ten from pile two and ten from pile three. Interestingly, pile three was generally empty. I knew a woman pilot who applied at 700 hours, got an interview, busted the sim, then got an unprompted telephone call six months later offering her another chance.

That's how UAL ended up hiring, in the same class, military guys with 1,000 hours, civilian guys with 6,000 hours and minorities with 700 hours.

Air Inc. at the time was tracking what it took to get an interview and the disparities were comical.

Yes, but early on in the 90's, why were the mins at UAL 250TT???? Couldnt they have raised it to ohhhh, lets say 4000TT, ATP, 1000 PIC turbine time maybe??? I think that would have been somewhat more fair to the rest of us.

Guitar rocker said:
Yes, but early on in the 90's, why were the mins at UAL 250TT???? Couldnt they have raised it to ohhhh, lets say 4000TT, ATP, 1000 PIC turbine time maybe??? I think that would have been somewhat more fair to the rest of us.

They weren't trying to "be more fair", they were complying with a consent decree negotiated with the Department of Justice. They still wanted to hire only military pilots, but they were forced to open the ranks to others, just not so much.

The good news is, almost all of those quota hires got furloughed so the karma worked out.

radarlove said:
The good news is, almost all of those quota hires got furloughed so the karma worked out.

According to Mr. 32 Brain Surgeon, that would mean United furloughed back to 91. He claims that the EEOC mandate ended in 91. It would Seem like he has a problem with his version of reality over there.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it was this old:
Other significant examples of EEOC's litigation settlements involving systemic discrimination and affirmative relief during the 1970s include:
  • A 1976 consent decree with United Airlines, which provided more than $1 million in back pay and broad affirmative relief, settling a lawsuit alleging race, national origin, and sex discrimination in the company's higher-paying jobs. The settlement provided for aggressive movement of minorities and women into upper-level jobs, including pilot, mechanic, agent, and management positions. The decree also provided for retroactive company-wide seniority, which replaced a former departmental seniority system, to protect rights of minority and female workers transferring into more desirable jobs.

Guitar rocker said:
More fair? Are you kidding me? Why do you think this lawsuit got filed in the 1st place? Back when UAL was pulling 250 hour TT PPLs off the streets and giving them all their ratings thena job, how many of those were women or minorities? Don't get on here talking about being fair with such a checkerd past. What was fair about certain groups getting the door slammed in their face until about 20 years ago? You have nobody to blame for that type of hiring practice except your mother, your father, grandfather, grandmother, etc............UAL was just doing what was the right thing to do and what was required of them; bring the staffing levels up to where they would have been had they not be so ignorant by overlooking a good set of pilots just because of factors the qualified pilot could not control. Now that's fair.

Uppercrust said:
What ever Capn Tool. Everything that comes out of my mouth is the gospel!:laugh:

Gospel according to Daddy, the man who paid for your training at Gulfstream. Hahahaha, your on the wrong forum little boy, daddy says go back to the regional board, run along now.

HawkerF/O said:
More fair? Are you kidding me? Why do you think this lawsuit got filed in the 1st place? Back when UAL was pulling 250 hour TT PPLs off the streets and giving them all their ratings thena job, how many of those were women or minorities? Don't get on here talking about being fair with such a checkerd past. What was fair about certain groups getting the door slammed in their face until about 20 years ago? You have nobody to blame for that type of hiring practice except your mother, your father, grandfather, grandmother, etc............UAL was just doing what was the right thing to do and what was required of them; bring the staffing levels up to where they would have been had they not be so ignorant by overlooking a good set of pilots just because of factors the qualified pilot could not control. Now that's fair.

Hawker F/O, are you HIGH???? Checkered past you say..............sure, that applied to just about every industry and it has come a long way since then, and I agree that it should have. But, arent we going from one extreme to the other by dropping the requirements to 250TT for a pilot at a major airline???
Can you name another major airline in the good ole USA that has 250TT as a minimum requirement??? I would say this is reverse discrimination at it's finest.

OK, so it's my great great grand daddy and mommys fault that UAL had to hire chicks straight out of college then. You dont have a daddy I guess, is that right??? You just crawl out from some rock and here you are blabbing your worthless jargon??? Go find a daddy kid.

Latest resources

Back