• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL looses a can in Baghdad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
are DHL and the others really flying into Baghdad without SAM protection? damm anything to make a buck.

no way not for me!

:eek:

“Methinks it rings vast, but hollow”

Bart: It would behove you to research my background before ‘shooting’ your mouth off like that. Excuse the pun. It just so happens that I have intimate knowledge of what I refer to in my previous post.
No, I am not blowing my own trumpet, but making a point.
Yes, I have ‘served’, and even more to the point, I have been operational, with the decoration and medal to prove it. I served in a branch of the special forces of my country’s military. My unit was tasked with aggressive armoured reconnaissance and Coin ops, both of which I was involved in.

America should have bombed the strategic targets that bomber command designated in the beginning of the war, and the war would have been won , end of story. There would have been no need to invade North Vietnam.

“Pansy”, ”chicken”, ”coward”, ” Just leave the fighting to those that volunteered to do it for you.” : FYI, big man, I volunteered for military service, in the special forces no less. And I would gladly volunteer for military service in the US armed forces in future, seeing that I am engaged to marry a US citizen. Unlike the hundreds of people that lie, sneak or buy their way into the US and then live off the fat of the land and the citizens, like parasites, I am prepared to help defend the country my fiancé and myself intend to raise a family in. To that effect, I have already contacted the US Coast Guard and National Guard recruiters to obtain info on serving.

And if you still want to take your spineless insults further, next year this time I shall be in the USA, and would gladly meet you so you can say it to my face.

Some people would join the military because it’s a job, a way to get through college or just pay the bills, and never imagine that they would have to take up arms. Others do it because they feel an obligation to their families, their friends, and the man standing next to them on the line. Which one are you?

Salty Dog: “Look at how well things are working out in South Africa. Letting the scumbags run rampant is not a solution. Killing every single one of your enemies is.”
Couldn’t agree more, pity the situation there now is partly thanks to the meddling of people like Bart.

VFR on top

"Never happen, though. Way too much Jewish money lining the pockets of way too many politicians, not to mention the whole neo-conservative club's grip on the Bush White House."

Neo-conservative: Noun, def. = a democratic pilot who just recently had a reality check when a SAM blew up his left wing

Hey Vlad...

...for a guy who busted his instrument ASEL check ride, you sure know a lot about American foreign policy.

Don't you think you would be better off spending more time reading the AIM and the regulations, and less time spouting your godless, atheistic, anti-civilization-loving, America-hating, defeatist line of pewling puke on this here board?

Besides, it is WAY past your bed time.

Have a nice day.

Anti jewish posters

I thought that this hate garbage will not show up on an aviation board,at least get your facts right.Iraq war 1 and 2 had nothing to do with helping the jews or jewish money to american politics.Israel was asked to stay out .The number of jews in usa is tiny and their money is not enough for taking over politics.The jewish way of life is closer to what most americans believe in,the few posters here that back the arab/muslim way of life should carefully remember that that was a big chunk of the 9/11 attack and those words parallel bin laden,I am sure that the feds will watch these pilots real close.

Re: Hey Vlad...

onthebeach said:
Hey Vlad... ...for a guy who busted his instrument ASEL check ride, you sure know a lot about American foreign policy.

Actually, as I recently found out, I got a letter of discontinuence, rather than a letter of disapproval :)

so, having never busted a ride, can I toot the liberal horn now?

Risk in Iraq

I dunno, I think I may be the only guy here who's flown an unarmed biz-jet into Iraq. It's dangerous, but not suicidal by any means. Spiral-up and spiral-down approaches work to a certain extent.

MANPADs (ie, SA-7, SA-14, et al) can hit things past 10,000 feet. They have effective lateral ranges of about 3-5 miles. Flares work well against SA-7s, but SA-14s and more advanced MANPADS can sometimes work around flares. LIRCM (ie, the IR zapper) works fairly well, but a small jet will take a huge penalty in weight and it costs more than most light jets cost.

Anyone flying in Iraq needs to understand the risks. We flew there without flares, but since we wore tan desert flight suits, we understood the risks and accepted them.

As for the notion that we're in it for the money vs. some terrorist in it for devotion to God, that's absurd. Most of those guys (the bad guys) do it for two reasons....power and prestige. We do it mostly for devotion to our nation. I make half to a third what a civilian jet captain makes, and I fly in places much more dangerous (not just from weapons, but operating conditions as well). It's not for the money....it's for the service. I go home at night knowing that I'm making a difference, not just moving a plane load of pax from A to B.

Ask yourself this....how many of you pilots out there have known the feeling of flying overhead your destination at 15,000 feet at 350 knots...pulling the throttles to idle....passing gear extension speed you extend the gear, then go full flaps, bunt the nose over to 10 deg. nose low, and descend in a 30 deg. bank at 3000-4000 FPM....oh, and you're wearing a flak vest while doing this, and the OAT is about 48 C. As you line up on the runway, your EGPWS is screaming "Sink Rate! Sink Rate!", yet you ignore it as normal. At 300 feet AGL, you swap ends and turn the 4000 FPM descent into a tame 500-600 FPM normal glide path about 1/4 mile from the runway.

Yeah, I get paid less than an RJ captain, doing the above....because of the money! Riiiiight.

By the way, the DHL aircraft I saw over there aren't owned outright by DHL....they are an Arab-run company that flies DHL routes, sorta like the independently owned Caravan outfits that fly FEDEX feeder routes. Anyone that flies into Iraq would have to be stupid if they didn't understand that Iraq is risky airspace right now, and probably will be for the next year or so.

Since tensions against US targets remain high, I won't go into where all Astar Air Cargo (formerly DHL Airways) goes. What I can say is that we don't go to Baghdad anymore. I just tossed those plates on the last Jepp update.

15,000 feet at 350 knots...pulling the throttles to idle....passing gear extension speed you extend the gear, then go full flaps, bunt the nose over to 10 deg. nose low, and descend in a 30 deg. bank at 3000-4000 FPM

Sounds like you'd fit in in the night freight world....

Latest resources

Back