• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL buys 49% of Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, don't let reality get in the way. Just make up your own.
[/quote]

Hey CFire, I don't know who you are but I like the way you talk. If we ever meet down line the beer is on me for the night.

K.S.

CFire, your posts here seem to make the most cogent sense. As this is not my end of the industry there are a couple of things I don't understand.

It appears that Polar has never had a viable business plan, that it was formed as a destination for early termination GECAS leases in part so that GE could continue depreciation and avoid paying the tax basis.

It also appears that scheduled freight is not a successful business strategy as a stand alone business.

Having said this, why did Atlas buy Polar, particularly with it's history of losses from inception? Second, what benefit accrues to DHL in purchasing 49% of Polar?

GV

Cfire, YOU are an ANGRY LITTLE MAN...........You know there is more to life than you'r misserable JOB!!......GET A LIFE!!!!!

With the exception of getting burned on the Atlas hiring thing post Polar furlough, I've been batting a thousand. Not bad especially compared to you.

With that said, you might find out some jaw dropping info about the future of the Polar crews after someone reads it to you. That's of course after someone reads it to your MEC. Don't plan on a return from your furlough despite this grand news. Under the current plan, it will finally turn Polar into something, but not in a way that you thought of.

CFIRE what are you talking about? With this long-term Hybrid Schedule-ACMI contract (this is what it is, DHL wants the POLAR routes and uses a Joint-venture with a ACMI agreement to gain access) and with the DHL investment, AAWH will be able to grow ACMI, Schedule, Charter and maybe even start a CM business. With growth comes the need to recall Crewmembers. I beleive Bill was clear that the Crew merger will go forward. So, I guess you will eventually fly with a Polar crewmember. What else is new? What do you think Polar will or should turn into? By the way, all the carriers Atlas operates for are engaged in Schedule cargo service with all Cargo wide-body Aircraft. Contrary to the PP you that was presented to the merger abitrator. Schedule service makes money for Cargolux, NCA, Jade, ABC and of course for the all service airlines as well. Matter of fact is it so profitable that EK is moving forward to run their own show which eventually would leave our nice -400 on the ramp collecting dust . But, thanks to Polars routes and thanks to Altas experience in ACMI we have finally a long-term partner that will allow us to build something long-term. This is not a bad thing. Plus, it is the first contract that will support a US operation long-term. Looks like more Crews will be able to move back from the UK to the motherland. So please, get of your high hrose to argue what is better ACMI or Schedule service. Because we, Polar and Atlas, will have to show the rest of the industry how one organization can operated both services and how they complement each other - which they do. So to all Polar and Altas Crewmenbers stop being childish let's get the merger out of the way and make this business grow. There is plenty of work for all of us to go around.
By the way, can't wait to buy you a beer down-line. At the end of the day it is just a job and most importantly we have to negotiated a new CBA together.

With the exception of getting burned on the Atlas hiring thing post Polar furlough, I've been batting a thousand. Not bad especially compared to you.

With that said, you might find out some jaw dropping info about the future of the Polar crews after someone reads it to you. That's of course after someone reads it to your MEC. Don't plan on a return from your furlough despite this grand news. Under the current plan, it will finally turn Polar into something, but not in a way that you thought of.

BTW here is a little info on the Polar MEC getting sued for their part in publishing an unsantioned scab list. You know, the one that they made up. ALPA National has already told the Polar MEC that they are on their own before and reaffirmed it when they got served.

Another MERRIT-LESS suit to clog up the civil courts...Good luck on that one...Just because ALPA failed to allow the evidence and stonewalled the Polar pilots, does not mean that the courts will deam the evidence un-admissable. There are pictures and (POLAR) airway bills, along with OTHER evidence, that can and will be used AGAINST you'r claim in a court of law.....
Let the GAMES BEGIN!!! Now the world can also see how BACK-STABBING, LINE CROSSING, you'r group has been...

CFire, your posts here seem to make the most cogent sense. As this is not my end of the industry there are a couple of things I don't understand.

It appears that Polar has never had a viable business plan, that it was formed as a destination for early termination GECAS leases in part so that GE could continue depreciation and avoid paying the tax basis.

It also appears that scheduled freight is not a successful business strategy as a stand alone business.

Having said this, why did Atlas buy Polar, particularly with it's history of losses from inception? Second, what benefit accrues to DHL in purchasing 49% of Polar?

GV

Chowdry's plan was to transfer the landing rights to AAWH, move a few planes to Atlas and then shut Polar down. Jeff Erickson confirmed this plan at many meetings. Chowdry died, and so did his ability to pull it off. The remaining managers were unable to do it and decided to make an attempt to make Polar work.

That being said, both airlines benefited from the purchase. Atlas gained access to ramp space and ground support. Polar gained access to a worldwide parts system and an infusion of cash, and mainly a management team that wanted them to survive, ie, not just a tax write-off.

DHL gains access to Japan and China, and gets some heavy lift. Polar gains a partner to share the costs and maybe fill their planes. Hopefully some cargo that goes back to Asia, out of Europe.

Cfire, I'm sure (both of yaz Atlas & PO) are pretty excited about the DHL "investment", but I wouldn't quite qualify that as a "purchase", at least for the time being. Call it an alliance (JC loves that one), a partnership, a codeshare or whatever else you want but not a purchase, they don't have control.

AAWH takes in some cash & DHL (who by the way is not in great shape) gets space on PO (& Atlas), cool. But for both pilot groups nothing has or will change...<<Polar will continue to operate as an independent company and there will be no integration with DHL or any of its units>> (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061016/20061016005211.html?.v=1)

Growth might come your way, but not before some more shrinkage. As a matter of fact RW the new DO @ TDX (ex DO @ PO) announced to the last new hire class there that they would add 3-4 classics to their fleet. Where do you think they will come from now that GE owns 51% of TDX? I've been wrong before but I bet your mother company gets rid of more planes early next year...

As for the ones you guys are suing, hey, that's life, it won't affect anybody else but them :D

Good luck to bof of Uz and keep on sending us your airplanes :beer:

Cheerios

Hmmm. Seems like ASTAR and ABX are in for some big changes. Maybe I should consider something else.

Latest resources

Back