• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL buys 49% of Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For DHL, managing their highly fragmented network seems to ensure mediocrity of service and a lack of flexibility which further inhibits growth. I don't have the figures but I get the impression that DPWN/DHL is losing ground to FedEx/UPS in the global market.

Hate to be so negative but the view from the inside of the DHL machine has been unimpressive to say the least.

I think this is driven more from the heavyweight freight forwarding side of DHL (formerly Danzas/AEI/etc.) and not the small pack side of things. It will give them an opportunity to compete in some areas with Panalpina that they haven't been able to.

I think this is driven more from the heavyweight freight forwarding side of DHL (formerly Danzas/AEI/etc.) and not the small pack side of things. It will give them an opportunity to compete in some areas with Panalpina that they haven't been able to.

Yes, I'm sure you're right that this acquisition is more about logistics than express and that offers some different opportunities. It just seems that DPWN/DHL has grown more by acquisition than by robust competitive ability. And they have never grown any of the air carriers they own a stake in to my knowledge (EAT/DHL UK/former DHL Airways being examples). But I certainly don't have all the facts and, even if that's correct, hopefully the pattern will change as the market evolves.

Anyway, the DHL enterprise has a critical mass that offers a fair amount of job security and that's a VERY GOOD THING in this biz. We might not grow beyond our small piece of the DHL pie, but at least it's a pretty big pie. Good luck to the Polar crews, I've got friends there and I hope it works out well for all of you.

great work by DHL, big problems keeping packages from disappearing and what do they do? hire ANOTHER company!

Looks like Polar is saving AAWH's bacon once again.

And I thought all you Atlas guys said Polar had NO VALUE?!?

Considering how much money we have lost buying Polar and keeping you operating, I don't think we have come close to breaking even yet. Even with the 49% sale of Polar.

Anyhow, since you know so much, here is what the Atlas Merger Committee gave as an exhibit to the merger arbitor earlier this month on the Atlas- Polar merger arbitration . It's very dry for the first 10-15 slides to get the arbitor up to speed on the industry. Then gets into how much of a non-performer Polar has been. Click on the link and if you have the flash plugin, you can click on each image to continue to the next slide.

Considering how much money we have lost buying Polar and keeping you operating, I don't think we have come close to breaking even yet. Even with the 49% sale of Polar.

Anyhow, since you know so much, here is what the Atlas Merger Committee gave as an exhibit to the merger arbitor earlier this month on the Atlas- Polar merger arbitration . It's very dry for the first 10-15 slides to get the arbitor up to speed on the industry. Then gets into how much of a non-performer Polar has been. Click on the link and if you have the flash plugin, you can click on each image to continue to the next slide.

Yeah, you know you'r right Cfire..... I'm sure that spending $150 mil. for 49% stake on a WORTHLESS Co. (Polar), is the kind of thing that DHL likes to do....Polar is such a worthless Co., it's a good thing that AAWWH likes "THROWING MONEY AWAY." Or perhaps we have been "SPARED" out of the goodness of YOU'R heart..........Change the screen on that pipe man!!.....You'r water is getting CLOUDY!!!!http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/icons/icon32.gif

Yeah, you know you'r right Cfire..... I'm sure that spending $150 mil. for 49% stake on a WORTHLESS Co. (Polar), is the kind of thing that DHL likes to do....Polar is such a worthless Co., it's a good thing that AAWWH likes "THROWING MONEY AWAY." Or perhaps we have been "SPARED" out of the goodness of YOU'R heart..........Change the screen on that pipe man!!.....You'r water is getting CLOUDY!!!

With the exception of getting burned on the Atlas hiring thing post Polar furlough, I've been batting a thousand. Not bad especially compared to you.

With that said, you might find out some jaw dropping info about the future of the Polar crews after someone reads it to you. That's of course after someone reads it to your MEC. Don't plan on a return from your furlough despite this grand news. Under the current plan, it will finally turn Polar into something, but not in a way that you thought of.

BTW here is a little info on the Polar MEC getting sued for their part in publishing an unsantioned scab list. You know, the one that they made up. ALPA National has already told the Polar MEC that they are on their own before and reaffirmed it when they got served.

Yeah, you know you'r right Cfire..... I'm sure that spending $150 mil. for 49% stake on a WORTHLESS Co. (Polar), is the kind of thing that DHL likes to do....Polar is such a worthless Co., it's a good thing that AAWWH likes "THROWING MONEY AWAY." Or perhaps we have been "SPARED" out of the goodness of YOU'R heart..........Change the screen on that pipe man!!.....You'r water is getting CLOUDY!!!!

I'm a little confused. At one point you claim Polar is too valuable to be sold, then you claim that as a result of your high value you've been parcelled out. I get it, no matter what, Polar is God's gift to avaition, even losing money and with 65% load factors and its all Atlas's fault. I think I've got it now.

BTW, have you started taking up a collection for you MEC and SBC gang to defend themselves in court? Sounds like they have some court costs in front of them from Atlas CM's sueing them. Fun times at Polar.

So, 100+ Atlas crewmembers cross the Polar lawful picket lines while Polar is on strike. Then Polar and ALPA national drop their pursuit of scab status for these people in an effort to establish good relations moving forward, now 70 of these picket line crossers (listed here: http://www.atlascrews.org/?page_id=5 ) are going to try to sue the Polar MEC?

Good luck with that one. This case will get dropped faster than an Atlas MEC signing off on a concessionary contract.

Then Polar and ALPA national drop their pursuit of scab status for these people in an effort to establish good relations moving forward, now 70 of these picket line crossers are going to try to sue the Polar MEC?

Good luck with that one. This case will get dropped faster than an Atlas MEC signing off on a concessionary contract.
  1. ALPA National Legal told the Polar MEC they were wrong and would not be represented by ALPA legal for their actions before they published their special scab list. The Polar MEC' and other committee members defense will be out of their own pockets let alone the subsequent judgements. Judging on how your membership works together, they might scrape up some pocket change for the Polar MEC. Of course, Bobb Henderson and Bob Fell are pretty good at skimming council funds. Funny how Fell's ALPA provided cellphone is the same as his listed contact number for his charter service. Last I heard, he was running around $6,000 a month on that.
  2. Your own strike chairman was on public record that Atlas did it right until Bobb H. stepped in to save his reputation amoung his membership and changed that, despite Atlas being the only airline that had a sympathy strike for Polar.
  3. The ALPA Hearing Board reafirmed that Polar didn't have what it took to file the article 8's to list these guys as scabs. Improper procedure and lack of evidence. Polar didn't drop anything, they just couldn't do anything right or provide adequate proof.
  4. Yep, concessionary contracts suck, but when you have the Polar MEC volunteering their membership to fly previously agreed to struck A/C and associated customers, you just have to roll with the punches and play the cards your dealt.
  5. There is more, but we all have heard it.
Hey, don't let reality get in the way. Just make up your own.

Latest resources

Back