• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DFW Metar 0841Z on 10April2008

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've actually topped level 5's before and while it is always bumpy, we get the passengers to their destination on time and we end up saving a lot gas.

I've topped a 40000' cell going east at 41000'.
Classic! The reel is making that high pitched whine as the line plays out indicating your multi hooked line has snagged more than one. You make sure your harness is snug before the full weight of your 1000lb test line is tested.........

I've topped a 40000' cell going east at 41000'.

Have you ever heard of the old adage:
"Top convective cells by 1000' PER 10 knots wind"

It probably makes you feel safe and cool to be at 410, but if there's even a 70 Knot wind you'd need to top by at least 7000 ft.

Being in Club410 is not the goal of flying instructordude. Ask the inexperienced, now dead, guys that went to 410 over Missouri a couple of years ago.. total error prone flight and they flamed out both engines.

The mentality of yours is exactly the reason I will never ride on an RJ with a 300 hr wonder in the right seat. I'll go two states out of my way just to stay on mainline, typically Southwest.

The mentality of yours is exactly the reason I will never ride on an RJ with a 300 hr wonder in the right seat. I'll go two states out of my way just to stay on mainline, typically Southwest.[/quote]

Last time I checked there was an ATP typed rated captain on that airplane with atleast 3000 hours who made that mistake. I don't know what 300 hr wonder kid you are talking about.

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KDFW 100841Z 25053G65KT 1 3/4SM R17C/3000VP6000FT -TSRA SQ SCT024 BKN028 OVC043CB 23/19 RMK AO2 PK WND 24065/0840 TSB20RAB0759 FRQ LTGIC DSNT W TS W MOVG E P0000[/FONT]
That should stick out like a sore thumb...and really make the rest of the METAR so obvious, you almost don't need to read it...
It has to be blowing up some runway in Dallas. They got runways pointing everywhere.

ATR should handle it, no problem.
DFW would go groundstop in a heartbeat. The closest thing they have to accommodate 25053G65KT are the 31's...and 25035KT is a 31KT right cross on 31L. DFW can handle most everything...except extreme East/West winds straight across the field.

(I know you know all of this Fins...just passing along for the benefit of the wonderpilots that might have actually taken you seriously.)

Oh, yeah...deets, etc.

I've actually topped level 5's before and while it is always bumpy, we get the passengers to their destination on time and we end up saving a lot gas.

My young friend. Experience is an accumulation of all the things that didn't kill you. Good luck.

Gup

The mentality of yours is exactly the reason I will never ride on an RJ with a 300 hr wonder in the right seat. I'll go two states out of my way just to stay on mainline, typically Southwest.

Last time I checked there was an ATP typed rated captain on that airplane with atleast 3000 hours who made that mistake. I don't know what 300 hr wonder kid you are talking about.[/quote]

Read this:
http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/GenPDF.asp?id=DCA05MA003&rpt=fa

Then read instructordude's comments again. This is precisely why I will not fly on an RJ. Yeah yeah is was part 91, but the scary part of the whole thing is the mentality of it all. Then when compared to a guy says he tops FL400 cells at FL410 with some turbulence....well ... I think you get the picture.

No thanks to the RJ's man. Gimme SWA anyday!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back