• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Details about the near-crash in Germany

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the problem then is #1- we're all assuming a lot. And #2- it's more likely the captain didn't exercise good judgement- than the f/o's fault.
Is a captain acting differently w/ a pretty girl, the girl's fault or the captains?

This is why i've been a proponent of not letting nerds fly airplanes. They're smart of course- but don't have the coordination to handle a cross-wind- and haven't been laid enough to be normal w/ a 'pretty f/o' that close to them(!) ... ;)

First of all, the captain obviously exercised far worse airmanship than the FO since he was the one that let her fly the approach. So much for blaming the "inexperienced FO."

Second, you gotta love automatic German to English translation.

Yes he should have thought about that before commencing the approach. However once in the flare it looked like it turned ugly real fast. Maybe to fast for him to reach for that side stick. She should have stayed home that day and left the flying to the professionals. Maybe make some soup for some lucky man coming home from a hard day of work.....

So we need more really nasty female instructors to weed out the ones the guys want to flirt (disaster?)with. That was simple.
LOL... yeah, you got it!

The metar for that time period has mostly 25-35 base winds with 35-45 kts gusts at 60 degrees off the centerline for the runway they chose (other rwy would have been a 30 deg crosswind).

The biggest gust of the day reported was 45 kts gusting to 59, for a few minutes right around that time period.

The winds were bad, certainly, but manageable, as dozens of aircraft right before and right after that approach came in and landed fine, as did the same airplane (probably under control of the CA the 2nd approach) and landed without incident.

She just shouldn't have been flying that approach.

Sucks for her; the CA made a bad call and now it's going to be a long couple of months while they crawl all over the incident with a fine-toothed comb.

I think the Captain is just as much to blame as the FO for letting the FO land in those conditions.

I think the Captain is just as much to blame as the FO for letting the FO land in those conditions.

Im not saying you are wrong but usually when you get to that point in your career flying larger aircraft you kind know how to put in a crosswind correction and hold it. The Capt. may not have know she sucked that bad!

Im not saying you are wrong but usually when you get to that point in your career flying larger aircraft you kind know how to put in a crosswind correction and hold it. The Capt. may not have know she sucked that bad!
Very true

Remember, the inputs from the side sticks are algebraically summed, so equal opposite inputs result in no control surface deflection. Unless the CA had the presence of mind to press the sidestick takeover command button, there may not have been alot he could have done in the heat of battle.

So how does the CA respond when he askes the F/O if she feels comfortable making the landing and she (knowing the pressure on her to prove herself) says untruthfully, "Ya!"?

She should have stayed home that day and left the flying to the professionals........

:laugh: You crack me up!

Surely you haven't forgotten you-know-who... (No, not her; the other one.) :rolleyes:

For those who haven't heard the story, this girl I was flying with at CommutAir, who bungled an ILS up pretty badly -- she flatly refused to keep her damn eyes inside until I called the field in sight.

"But I see it!" she insisted.

"There nothing out there but clouds. Stay inside."

"But I see it!"

And so on. Grrr. Guess she was too good for SOPs. :mad:

Of course, she was all over the sky every time she picked her head up, and when we finally did pop out of the clouds at ~500 feet, we're pointing at the terminal rather than the runway.

In my headset I hear, "Oh, god! Help me help me help me help me!"

"I have the controls. Let go."

She then cried her eyes out in the cockpit as we packed up for the day. "This ruined my whole day!" she sobbed.

W. T. F. .... ?

She's now at a certain Atlanta-based low-cost carrier. Good luck with her, guys! :rolleyes:

The CA doesn't give the F/O the option in that situation.

Had that happen before, even with experienced F/O's. The weather is that crappy, I simply say, "I'm going to take this leg because of the weather, you can fly a couple legs tomorrow if you'd like, but the weather sucks and I'm going to fly it."

No discussion. It's not a democracy. That's where judgment comes in.

Latest resources

Back