• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DELTA vs SWA from another thread....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those guys will grow tired quickly of their multiple leg days with 25 minute turns. That ex JFK 767 FO will dream of past layovers in Nice, Barcelona, and new ones he could have tried, like Pisa, Budapest, and Kiev. Oh well, enjoy ELP.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, I've now been here for 13 years....I'm still not tired of the 25 minute turns. but, to each his own.

for that ex-JFK 767 FO....I seriously doubt he actually "dreams" of past layovers anymore than I might still "dream" of paying ALPA dues like I did at the "legacy" carrier I left for SWA.

If that ex-JFK 767 FO needs to find a way to get to Nice, Barcelona, Pisa, Budapest or Kiev....I'm sure he knows how to get there...if he doesn't, he can look me up....I'll tell him how to get there.

Kiev???? sheesh !!! "Babushka" city

That sounds great. I also know that a lot of your DAL trips do have 6 leg days, with AMA, MAF, LBB, HOU, CRP, HRL, flights too included. My buddy from OAK does a lot of "Califonia Shuffle" trips with 5 or more legs a day, going through LAS, over to ONT, up to SMF, over to PDX, then onto GEG. He says he sees SNA a lot, and usually a couple times each of the days he flies there. He said it can really tire him out. I am not making this up. The last day of his previous 4 day trip was LAX--PHX--SNA--SMF--SNA--OAK.

Not every trip of yours is tough probably, but you have very productive trips, which can be good and bad. To me, very productive means lots of legs or flying to the max, which means exhaustion. I prefer 1 or 2 legs a day, and somewhere tropical in the Winter, and cool in the Summer (ANC). IF you like SWA, great, but not everyone wants that type of flying, and that is what a lot of SWA pilots can't believe.

Bye Bye--General Lee

He's either very junior, or he's doing them by choice, for commuting purposes, etc.

I'm pretty junior, and I can avoid the TX 2 Step even based in Dallas, our most senior base.

And you're right. Some guys prefer multi leg days, some don't. I know I generally prefer 2 or 3 legs a day, but now and then I enjoy getting in a -500 and doing a little TX 2 Steppin' But my point is, you don't HAVE to do that kind of flying here if you prefer not to.

I picked up a 2 day out of open time last month that flew 5 legs and 5 legs. Had a blast doing it too. Paid 17.4 straight time. I should have held out for VJA on it, then I would have made as much as a Delta 787 pilot! And no, I wasn't even a little tired when I got home. And I bet my friends at Delta would be horrified to see me flying around in CWS Pitch and setting my own thrust too :)

My final advice, go somewhere you will enjoy the flying and figure out a side business that you enjoy. I have a friend at Delta that does just that. He gives away alot of his flying to free up about 20 days a month, has good overall compensation and keeps his foot in flying with ability to fly some really great cutting edge equipment and destinations in the future....really the best of all worlds.

Does anyone know for sure if Delta allows you to "drop" trips as long as they can be covered? What is the current contract ruling on this? In this post it seems that this friend is freeing up time by "giving away" his flying. What is that all about?

General you make BANKRUPTCY sound like a walk in the park?

You're excited about short term cash. This reminds me of my Mother-in-law. She is divorced twice.... the second time around her ex offered her $50,000 to walk away, nothing else. She was all over it... Thought it was a great deal.. Now that she makes 25,000 a year and spends $50,000 its not looking to smart. Very smart on behalf of her ex husband, who is retired liv'in well with his Military retirement + civilian 401k..

So are you tak'in the high road and saying "hey its better then nothing" or do you think it was so sweet, you wish DAL went had gone into bankruptcy long before they did?

I think I would choose Delta, except for one thing: I just don't think I could sit through the new-hire procedure where Delta pilots have to get the stick inserted up their butts. Not that there's anything wrong with that ("Sorry, this is a Delta van"), but it takes a certain type of guy to look forward to the insertion.

I recently went back to Delta. I was furloughed and really had a good job flying the Airbus and was not sure at the time if I should bypass. I am glad I didn’t. Delta is a great company to work for. I am on the MD-88 and now will be going on the 757- 767 ER after only four months on the property. Things change in this industry. A few years back Jetblue was one of the carriers to go to and now…. Southwest is obviously a great carrier to work but for me I am very happy here. Great people, destinations and equipment.

I think I would choose Delta, except for one thing: I just don't think I could sit through the new-hire procedure where Delta pilots have to get the stick inserted up their butts. Not that there's anything wrong with that ("Sorry, this is a Delta van"), but it takes a certain type of guy to look forward to the insertion.

I've heaaard that many times...but my reality is that in my part 121 career...I have rode in the hotel van many times with a Delta crew and have NEVER heard a statement about the van being owned by anyone.

Guess it is urban legend....like the guy who believes that SWA pilots fly 6 legs a day...every day...and layover only in LBB and
MAF

General you make BANKRUPTCY sound like a walk in the park?

You're excited about short term cash. This reminds me of my Mother-in-law. She is divorced twice.... the second time around her ex offered her $50,000 to walk away, nothing else. She was all over it... Thought it was a great deal.. Now that she makes 25,000 a year and spends $50,000 its not looking to smart. Very smart on behalf of her ex husband, who is retired liv'in well with his Military retirement + civilian 401k..
So how does your husband feel about that?

Latest resources

Back