• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DELTA vs SWA from another thread....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It has already come true, the only reason SW is not in the red right now is because they have enough cash on hand to pay down debts. They had $4 billion in cash and investments at the start of 2005, today they have $1.7 billion in cash and none in investments. After the rest of this years stock buy backs and equipment updates, they will have zero cash on hand. A total loss of $4 billion over the last 3 years just like every other airline.

Things SW normally pays cash for, i.e. airplanes, ground equipment, gates, advertising fees, office supplies, investments, gates, maintenance parts, stock buy backs, etc... will all enter the cash flow and become long term debt. The cash flow however will be in the red in 2008 leading to an almost certain bankruptcy by 2009 or so.

So your pushing back your almost certain Bankruptcy projection unitl 2009? I am glad because you really had me worried with 6 month one you put out about a year ago. The only reason SWA has less cash on hand is because that's the way they want it. Your a genious YPF! Your going to be Legacy Management someday!

Whatever you do-- make sure it's your decision.
Everyone has an opinion- but succeed or fail- if it's your decision and not coerced by everyone's thoughts on the subject-- you can live with the results. IMO- it's a question of good and better- which company is which is taste. Ie: you can fly a 73 at delta... you can't fly a 777 at swa. But SWA has that great corporate culture that confuses every other pilot- 'I don't get it?-You WANT to work that hard? And you're happier?' But what'll it be in 20 years? Just remember you're in a good position having to make this choice.

I do have a question for all major pilots- IS int'l truly better or is it another case of the fantasy being different from the reality??... I'm young and single and don't like being away that much- I've always wanted to be an int'l pilot- but now-- i'd think i'd rather be home and live normal with locals and 2-days. I don't have that experience though. But I do agree wholeheartedly with Jball2- i don't care if i'm in Fargo-- if my crew is great-- it'll be a good overnight.. and good when flying too...

Everyone has an opinion- but succeed or fail- if it's your decision and not coerced by everyone's thoughts on the subject-- you can live with the results. IMO- it's a question of good and better- which company is which is taste. Ie: you can fly a 73 at delta... you can't fly a 777 at swa. But SWA has that great corporate culture that confuses every other pilot- 'I don't get it?-You WANT to work that hard? And you're happier?' But what'll it be in 20 years? Just remember you're in a good position having to make this choice.

I do have a question for all major pilots- IS int'l truly better or is it another case of the fantasy being different from the reality??... I'm young and single and don't like being away that much- I've always wanted to be an int'l pilot- but now-- i'd think i'd rather be home and live normal with locals and 2-days. I don't have that experience though. But I do agree wholeheartedly with Jball2- i don't care if i'm in Fargo-- if my crew is great-- it'll be a good overnight.. and good when flying too...

Well, at Delta you would have the option to try both - international and domestic. Try 767ER flights out of JFK/ATL for a year or two and then get back to domestic flying if you don't like it. It's all about options...

Not a good bet, eh? We will get a raise of 1.5% every year for the next couple as per the contract, and up to 6% a year if we are profitable. So, regardless, you are wrong, it is a fact---via the contract. I know accountants can try to play with numbers, but this is all pre-tax---if we have a profit we will increase the 1.5% to something more, up to 6% (each year).

It didn't know you meant the contractual raises. I thought you meant bigger raises like AA is trying to negotiate.

Good on you for posting facts. :)

............if they stay in business.

Delta will be tops in everything, should take ALPA not more then 18 months to get it all back. Quicker if the Delta Pilots get off all fours and tell the Kompany kernals & Kommanders to get off thier backs. :eek:

Must be hard to fly even one leg with someone pounding on your backside like that, all this while they take money out of your wallet. :cartman: Oh the shame...

the SWA/FO :pimp:

You know, you don't have to be a prick all the time!

I just hope SWA takes care of "our house." To the Delta dudes - give 'er hell. I hope you get $300 an hour. Seriously. I really do.

Gup

Left Delta a year ago for SWA. Time will tell if it was a good decision. Really tired of hearing though-Who wants to fly a 737 for the rest of their lives and you'll never get to fly internationaly. Who cares? Just give me a stable place to work, Cheap medical and dental, six figure income, five to six years to Captain, Profit sharing, industry leading 401k match, and oh ya, I get to go to work with people who want to be there. Much nicer place to work. Got wore out with the doom and gloom at Delta. Still have lots of friends there. Hope moral is picking up.

It has already come true, the only reason SW is not in the red right now is because they have enough cash on hand to pay down debts. They had $4 billion in cash and investments at the start of 2005, today they have $1.7 billion in cash and none in investments. After the rest of this years stock buy backs and equipment updates, they will have zero cash on hand. A total loss of $4 billion over the last 3 years just like every other airline.

Things SW normally pays cash for, i.e. airplanes, ground equipment, gates, advertising fees, office supplies, investments, gates, maintenance parts, stock buy backs, etc... will all enter the cash flow and become long term debt. The cash flow however will be in the red in 2008 leading to an almost certain bankruptcy by 2009 or so.

Thank God! We'll finally get all of that debt we need! I can stop finally worrying about an LBO!!!!

"Friend" your predictions are the funniest thing I've seen on the internet since that one thing on you tube ...

INTL flying is flying over to Europe with a first class buffet, followed by happy hour with crew after a nice nap. If you have to go somewhere for 3 days or maybe 4, why not do it in Venice or Athens? Do you really need to go to Boise again? For those who may complain the time zones take years off of your life, remember---so do 5 legs a day with 25 minute turns. INTL flying also usually has an extra crew member on hand, so each of you get to rest in a first class seat or crew rest area and watch a movie eating a first class meal (yes, that is in our contract, it has to be a first class meal). (anything over 5 1/2 hours has to provide you a 1st class meal, even on domestic) It really is all about choice, and domestic flying with even more choises is waiting for you if you don't like it. You can even choose to fly a 737 for the rest of your life at Delta too, if you really want to....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Left Delta a year ago for SWA. Time will tell if it was a good decision. Really tired of hearing though-Who wants to fly a 737 for the rest of their lives and you'll never get to fly internationaly. Who cares? Just give me a stable place to work, Cheap medical and dental, six figure income, five to six years to Captain, Profit sharing, industry leading 401k match, and oh ya, I get to go to work with people who want to be there. Much nicer place to work. Got wore out with the doom and gloom at Delta. Still have lots of friends there. Hope moral is picking up.

Who cares? You will care eventually. We do have a lot of plans coming up supposedly, so you may have jumped the gun. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your new job. Moral is picking up, especailly after we got our claim checks.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back