• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DELTA vs SWA from another thread....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It didn't know you meant the contractual raises. I thought you meant bigger raises like AA is trying to negotiate.

Good on you for posting facts. :)

Everything I post is the truth, 100% of the time....:) Anyway, I think we will try to get a larger raise, and if we are doing well at the time it might be easier.

Bye Bye--General Lee

It has already come true, the only reason SW is not in the red right now is because they have enough cash on hand to pay down debts. They had $4 billion in cash and investments at the start of 2005, today they have $1.7 billion in cash and none in investments. After the rest of this years stock buy backs and equipment updates, they will have zero cash on hand. A total loss of $4 billion over the last 3 years just like every other airline.

Things SW normally pays cash for, i.e. airplanes, ground equipment, gates, advertising fees, office supplies, investments, gates, maintenance parts, stock buy backs, etc... will all enter the cash flow and become long term debt. The cash flow however will be in the red in 2008 leading to an almost certain bankruptcy by 2009 or so.

I recommend this post as a contender for "Stoopidest Post of the Year."

so do 5 legs a day with 25 minute turns.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I try to stay out of the whole my airline can beat up your airline thing, but this is the one SWA bashing line that just never made even a little bit of sense to me.

Are you guys saying you would RATHER have 45 min or an hour + turns with multiple aircraft swaps?

You don't get paid for airport sit time.

It lengthens your duty day.

The airplane (and crew) doesn't generate revenue sitting at the gate.

I don't get it.........

If you want to fly over the pond, fine, you know where to go.

If you hate LBB so much it actually factors into a career decision for you, fine, great, you know where not to go.

But how can quick turns possibly be a negative and long airport sits a posivitve?

Some one explain please. (And use small words for all us dumb TX pilots)

I haven't read all these posts, but here is how I would answer the original question.

I would look at the fleet composition and order/option book and identify where the airplane is that is going to upgrade me and where the money is going to come from to buy that precious airplane. I would also make sure that an appropriate adjustment was made for large blocks of airplanes in the fleet that are getting due to go away.

True quality of life comes from the bidding power of seniority and the largess of the left seat. In other words, it is better to be a 250k Captain laying on the beach in San Diego or Ft Lauderdale on a weekday than an 125k FO laying on the beach in Europe or South America over the holidays.

I haven't read all these posts, but here is how I would answer the original question.

I would look at the fleet composition and order/option book and identify where the airplane is that is going to upgrade me and where the money is going to come from to buy that precious airplane. I would also make sure that an appropriate adjustment was made for large blocks of airplanes in the fleet that are getting due to go away.

True quality of life comes from the bidding power of seniority and the largess of the left seat. In other words, it is better to be a 250k Captain laying on the beach in San Diego or Ft Lauderdale on a weekday than an 125k FO laying on the beach in Europe or South America over the holidays.

You sound like a genius, not. You don't know what Delta's future plans are. Sounds like there could be huge growth. Then, you would be totally wrong. And I guess you don't like variety, either. Go ahead, start off your career in ELP and end it there too. How long again would it take you to get $250,000 a year at SWA and get weekends off with SAN or FLL layovers? You think a few years... Right. You could be in Paris within the first year at Delta. (not Paris, TX)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
You sound like a genius, not. You don't know what Delta's future plans are. Sounds like there could be huge growth. Then, you would be totally wrong. And I guess you don't like variety, either. Go ahead, start off your career in ELP and end it there too. How long again would it take you to get $250,000 a year at SWA and get weekends off with SAN or FLL layovers? You think a few years... Right. You could be in Paris within the first year at Delta. (not Paris, TX)

Bye Bye--General Lee

I was in SAN my second month at SWA. I go to LBB so rarly that I have no idea what the runway layout is or what hotel we use.

If anybody is spouting off what they don't know about it is you El General. I try to be even handed in these things, but your continual misrepresentation of QOL at SWA ticks me off. You either don't understand, refuse to understand or intentionally mislead people about what working for SWA is like.

Delta's "plans"? Common, didn't Delta "plan" to pay pensions? Didn't Delta "plan" to dominate the LCC market place with Song? I hate to get dragged down to your level, but SWA's plans have a lot more credibility than Delta's.

If you want great QOL, pay and security go to SWA. If you want to buy a lottery ticket go to Delta. It might pay big ....

Bye Bye--General Lee

A few years?? try a few months...as far as the schedule goes. $250,000 might take as long as DAL...but FLL and SAN with weekends off?? Less than a year General...and I should know.

I was in SAN my second month at SWA. I go to LBB so rarly that I have no idea what the runway layout is or what hotel we use.

If anybody is spouting off what they don't know about it is you El General. I try to be even handed in these things, but your continual misrepresentation of QOL at SWA ticks me off. You either don't understand, refuse to understand or intentionally mislead people about what working for SWA is like.

Delta's "plans"? Common, didn't Delta "plan" to pay pensions? Didn't Delta "plan" to dominate the LCC market place with Song? I hate to get dragged down to your level, but SWA's plans have a lot more credibility than Delta's.

If you want great QOL, pay and security go to SWA. If you want to buy a lottery ticket go to Delta. It might pay big ....

I can belt out all of the rumors, but that probably wouldn't be a good idea. To say that we will not get back to our past glory is like saying you will always have your high pay. You never know. But, I do know somethings about Southwest that you cannot refute. You will be flying a 737 for the rest of your career (no orders for anything different), domestically (Kelly said ATA might be doing some INTL stuff). with multiple legs per day (more of those days than 1 leg days for sure), and 25 minute turns. (according to Kelly) If that sounds fun to you, then go for Southwest. The pay is great currently, and the stews can be fun.

If you want to a chance to see the world on the companies' dime, fly a variety of aircraft that can give you different lifestyles, at good rates that have to go up eventually, then go to Delta.

There Ivauir, did I hurt your feelings again? Anything up there that I said wrong? Correct me please.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

A few years?? try a few months...as far as the schedule goes. $250,000 might take as long as DAL...but FLL and SAN with weekends off?? Less than a year General...and I should know.

Wow, same can happen at DL depending on your base. And a couple newhires already bid the INTL 767 at Delta and will be doing Paris, Budapest, Rome, Athens, Venice, Nice, Milan, Frankfurt, Bucharest, Pisa, Moscow, Kiev, Barcelona, Madrid, Shannon, Dublin, Manchester, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Istanbul, and beautiful Accra within 6 months. (we are also adding 13-15 more 757ERs to JFK by next Summer, so they should be line holders by then and we will probably add places like Oslo, Stockholm, etc) They can see FLL and SAN later in their 25 year careers. Less than a year puddle, and if they don't like it they can bid domestic and see Anchorage, San Diego, San Francisco, etc....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back