Delta vs Southwest??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go to delta!!!!

Do what's right for you and your family. What you fly or where shouldn't factor into the decision.

Retirements and upgrade possibilities are also good factors to consider.

Ditto what everyone else says. Both of them will probably be good career paths; your personal intangibles (and of course, who hires you) would probably be the deciding factors.

The only downside to a career at Delta is that someday you may actually have to fly with General Lee. Can you imagine listening to that for an entire pairing?! :) But what are the odds of that, anyway?

Bubba

No flame here but is SWA going to hire in the near future? I heard they were years away from hiring and were currently very overstaffed.

No flame here but is SWA going to hire in the near future? I heard they were years away from hiring and were currently very overstaffed.

I could tell you nothing is happening until after 2015 only to be proven wrong in a heartbeat. Who knows? Certainly none of us.

You don't have a choice until you have a choice. There's a possible interview at delta. Swa's not hiring so... There is no choice. Go after delta with everything you have.

Worry about what's in front of you, not what might materialize

Depends on who you ask, and what actually happens in the future (as is probably true for any airline). We're not really overstaffed now, other than the normal fluctuation that management accepts as the new "normal." We're lighter on flying in the winter, with less productive lines, but the same number of pilots is a bit understaffed in the heavy summer months, and there's lots of premium pay extra flying to cover.

If we do what GK is saying most frequently, we'll keep the fleet "flat" for another year or two (used -700s and longer life on -300s to offset departing 717s), and need to hire small numbers to replace retiring guys and to account for more and more senior guys with more vacations. When we reach 15% ROIC (whenever that is), then we can expand more.

If we don't do anything at all, except get rid of the 717s, then we'll be somewhat fat on pilots, but probably will just have slightly reduced lines until retirements, etc. mitigate this effect. This seems unlikely to me, and is contrary to what management is putting out.

If you listen to GhettoBeechJet, then we'll begin mass furloughing starting tomorrow.

If you listen to General Lee, then we'll "stagnate, hate each other, and you'll spend every night in LBB," with no ice cream sundaes for anyone.

Personally, -I- think we'll continue what we've been doing, hiring a little here and there until one of two things happens: 15% ROIC (which may be reached sometime next year), or we start the large expansion south of the border that GK wants. Once the new res system is in place, and especially when the HOU international facility is finished (much to Flopgut's chagrin), this should begin in earnest. At that point, I think GK will have to grow a lot to supply planes for this expansion. I don't think he'll be able to just take some from the domestic network to cover this--we're already abandoning or cutting back on some profitable routes, just to use those assets for more profitable routes.

But on the other hand, I'm just a pilot. I guess we'll see what actually happens.

Bubba

I would agree...don't worry about what type of equipment you will fly. When I was getting recalled at UAL, I made the decision to stay at AirTran. I had buddies calling me up that thought I was crazy. Their arguments were: look at the airplanes you will fly at UAL, look at the places UAL goes, etc. But for me, I just simply didn't want to go to the bottom of the UAL list again. So I stayed at AirTran. If I would have went back to UAL, I would have been laid off again for another 5 years. You just never know. That being said, I got an interview invite to SWA in late 2000. Never took it because I had just finished my UALtraining. Hindsite, big mistake.

At SWA, you are looking at a 15-20 year upgrade. With this seniority integration thing we just did, I am looking at 8-10 years myself, and I've been an AirTran captain over 6 and a 1/2 years. I would go to who hires you first, but I think with all of the retirements at Delta coming up that would be your first choice. Every year you are in the bottom 20% is a year you are at risk of furlough. (I believe UAL had 22% of their guys furloughed at one point)

You don't have a choice until you have a choice. There's a possible interview at delta. Swa's not hiring so... There is no choice. Go after delta with everything you have.

Worry about what's in front of you, not what might materialize
Holy crap, I actually agree with you!
I was skeptical to click on this thread at first, because I thought it might be another, "my airline is better than your airline," thread.
Some good advice for the original poster for this forum, maybe a new first!

Latest resources

Back