Delta vs Southwest??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

benelli

Looking at a possible interview with Delta Airlines. Had always assumed one day I would work at Southwest since that is where my brother and Dad work/worked. even went out and got the type. I know the big selling point regarding Southwest was their culture and pay, but according to family, culture is a dying thing at Southwest and pay is more or less on par with Delta and some of the other majors. So the question. If you had both in the hand, which one would you keep, and reasons why. Thanks for the input.

If you have the chance to go to Delta, go and never look back. At Southwest you are probably staring down a 20 year upgrade at an Airline with very few Retirements compared to the Big 3. Just one SWA guys opinion though. Good luck.

Agreed. . . . For most of the last decade, it would have been much better to be at SWA, but the current cycle favors being a newhire at Delta, at least for this decade. Best of luck.

Last edited:
First, get hired. Then, make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time, and don't kick yourself if you didn't have a crystal ball.

For example, I know a guy who quit SWA a few years ago to get hired by UAL, who then got furloughed! He is back at UAL now. Who knows, perhaps he laments ever quitting SWA (I'm sure he has at times) but perhaps he will be flying his retirement flight on a 777 or 747-400 someday to HKG, and look back and say, "this was the better end result after all."

This industry is constantly changing, and a great "prophetic" decision this year is next year's "if I'd only known" lament.

Apply absolutely EVERYWHERE and accept the first offer that is a career progression move. If the first job offer is not necessarily your favorite career airline you can continue to chase that dream job. As has been said before, the industry is cyclical and five years from now your number 1 choice may change.

That being said, I'm a SWA guy and love it here. The 20 year upgrade projections are from a zero growth perspective. If SWA does not have any expansion for 20 years, they may not be around anyway.

If Delta offers you a job first, take it and never look back. The same can be said for SWA. Don't turn down any great job because your number one choice has not materialized yet.

I have to agree with everything that's been said. SWA is a maturing airline. It's probably not fair or realistic to say the culture is dying when the simple fact is th culture is expanding and adapting. If the goal is preserve the culture than keep the fleet small, pull out of all the big cities, and shut the airline down after Herb dies. SWA is only my 3rd airline, and there are many familiar faces there from my former two carriers. It still feels like home and I haven't ran into anyone yet who would make me feel otherwise. I have plenty of friends at Delta too. Bottom line; get on with either one and exploit the advantages that the carrier offers (bigger equip, time off, bases, etc..).

Re-read your question: if you could work at either one..

Delta: like domestic? Fly the Narrow bodies. Want to fly long legs to foreign places? Bid for wide bodies. Furlough protection? Large retirements means padding from the bottom. Upgrade? Same, retirements. Bases? Probably a wash. Reserve? SWA is probably better, but you should hold a line faster at DAL. Progression up the seniority list gives you more options.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back