• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to retire 7600 pilots in next 15 years

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My buddy in the hiring pool (all 8 of them) just received a letter from the pilot hiring manager yesterday stating zero hiring until December 2013. His conditional job offer expires in August and he will have to re-interview, the whole process. 4% reduction in domestic flying. 8-10% reduction in Atlantic flying. 243 pilots on recall bypass who 90% have indicated they will return in December, which is the 10 year point from the initial 9/11 furlough. Around 800 are actively on mil leave and medical who will eventually return as well. Wish it was better news.

Yeah not so good news but we all know things change overnight in this industry...for the good or bad.

My buddy in the hiring pool (all 8 of them) just received a letter from the pilot hiring manager yesterday stating zero hiring until December 2013. His conditional job offer expires in August and he will have to re-interview, the whole process. 4% reduction in domestic flying. 8-10% reduction in Atlantic flying. 243 pilots on recall bypass who 90% have indicated they will return in December, which is the 10 year point from the initial 9/11 furlough. Around 800 are actively on mil leave and medical who will eventually return as well. Wish it was better news.

Ouch! Anyone confirm this?!?!

This is total bullcrap.

It may happen this way or it may not but anyone who thinks they have hiring pinpointed down to the month of a year that's two years from now it totally fried out of their gourd.

I cannot believe anyone believes this stuff for a second.

Yeah not so good news but we all know things change overnight in this industry...for the good or bad.

Rod,

A lot of this was due to high oil, but it just dropped $12 a barrel in two days, and now there is word the LGA slot swap may occur, bumping up NYC flying. It can all change overnight, as the previous poster stated. And Dylin is right too, how can anyone pinpoint it to December of 2013? Delta doesn't know how many will retire next month, or next year. Do you know how many over age 60 pilots are still here? They can leave anytime, most with full pensions.

OYS

Last edited:
You still have to pass the checkrides and IOE. I know back in '96 that 5 newhires could not pass IOE on the 737-200 at Delta Express in MCO, and they were all ex-Military pilots. A few of them flew F16s, but had never flown 2 man crew airplanes, and couldn't figure it out. If you were offered that opportunity, would you take it? Of course you would. Go out there and meet important people and make a name for yourself. Not a bad idea.

Bye Bye---General Lee
and this never happens to civilian back ground pilots, like the one I hired? I remember back in the good ole days there was a direct line from the P-3 hangar at NAS Jax to the Delta Hangar at ATL if had you not reached your 30th b'day. In fact a college degree was not required either, just the military background.

Ouch.

All the Legacy's will be doing the same. The hiring boom will be cutoff once again.

So, you're saying the guys over age 60 will become guys over 70 still flying? You seem to forget about the thousands of pilots that are over age 60, and don't want to go to 65. Some of those airlines still have full pensions, and they can't be taken away in BK like before. It's a matter of time, unless your airline has few scheduled retirements coming up, like Southwest and young Airtran mixing.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So, you're saying the guys over age 60 will become guys over 70 still flying? You seem to forget about the thousands of pilots that are over age 60, and don't want to go to 65. Some of those airlines still have full pensions, and they can't be taken away in BK like before. It's a matter of time, unless your airline has few scheduled retirements coming up, like Southwest and young Airtran mixing.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You seem to forget that Delta had more than 10,000 pilots on its seniority list pre 2001. How many pilots were at Delta pre-merger? Management does not have to replace retirees jobs.

Latest resources

Back