• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to retire 7600 pilots in next 15 years

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i dont think there's even going to be 7500 new commercial pilots the next 15 years. And that's just delta vacancy numbers. They are screwed. They will have to raise pay and benefits.

Why not just continue to reduce capacity and raise ticket prices? People will buy whatever tickets are available. My point being that I see DL (and everyone else) going down that road rather than raising pay.

Considering Delta minimums are 1200 total and 1000 turbine, absolute worse case scenario, Delta will hire non-female regional FOs.

I left the airlines to run a flight school...let me tell you...there are not a whole lot of people who want to fly at an airline for aliving given the current state of affairs. We train mostly recreational pilots, there simply aren't many young folks who find the commercial pilot life to be something worth investing in.

As for outsourcing....to whom? Seriously, who will do it cheaper than American pilots? We are the India of the aviation field...that's why so many American pilots are flying for foreign carriers. The problem is simple; America is all about manipulating markets to make money. As a whole the country doesn't value the talent that keeps it going every day...we value whoever offers the opportunity for us to make the most money quickly. It's a sad state of affairs, but it will either have to change or people will have to start taking the bus. I see it every day - I tell young prospective pilots about the pay and lifestyle and they opt to just fly for fun if they can even afford that.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people like me out there...furloughed and found alternate work, left the field in dusgust, whatever...most of us would come back if the pay and the lifestyle were worth it. Will it ever be? Who knows. If supply and demand means anything, there might be hope, but when was the last time logic meant anything in commercial aviation?

On the other hand, there are a lot of people like me out there...furloughed and found alternate work, left the field in dusgust, whatever...most of us would come back if the pay and the lifestyle were worth it. Will it ever be? Who knows. If supply and demand means anything, there might be hope, but when was the last time logic meant anything in commercial aviation?

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I can't see myself commuting on the highway to work in an office and be home every night...that sounds awful. Also, what else am I going to do that has the potential to pay $100K/year for 14 days/month at work?

Then again...the mental and emotional toll is pretty severe...

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I can't see myself commuting on the highway to work in an office and be home every night...that sounds awful. Also, what else am I going to do that has the potential to pay $100K/year for 14 days/month at work?

is this "at work" as in "behind the wheel" or did you figure in commuting to work, crash pad expenses, etc ?

remember most normal jobs weekends are off so those folks are working 20 days a month. So we (professional pilots) work what ? 14 ? 16? 18 ? Big whoop. we are gone away from our wives/kids/families the whole time.

I have a lot of friends who work desk jobs that make $100k or pretty close to it, and these folks are in their late 20's early 30's. They do stuff like systems engineering, procurement, senior grants management, biotech. Granted these aren't the type of job you just walk into with no experience, but I'd say overall it took a lot less time for these folks to land those jobs than it takes an airline pilot to land that $100k position. 6 years of college to get a Masters degree and then 3 to 4 years work experience and you're there. Then you have 30+ years ahead of you making that six figure salary. You get to spend nights at home with spouse and kids and have every weekend and holiday off.

When I was in my early 20's a job like that sounded like a death sentence. Now, it sounds pretty good.

Latest resources

Back