• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to put ALL regional flying up for rebid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DELTA can KISS MY ASS. They should rebid on themselves. They are the worst airline EVER! The whole JFK DASH operation was the worst idea ever. They are NOT going to win B6 customers with DASH-8-100s anyway. B6's E-190s are so nice. Delta's problem isn't Mesa, Ch or anyone other regional. Their problem is they cant plan for ******************** and will do anything to try and save a buck at their backwards ass company. Regardless of what they do, they arent going to be around in 3 years anyway, just like Song!

I became a pilot for the same four reasons that everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any of these materialize.

sweptback said:
ASA and SkyWest have a 15-year contract reaffirmed by the bankruptcy court. So if this rumor is in fact true, it would be for every regional other than those two.

Doesn't mean $hit. Remember when UAL went C.11 and both ACA and AWAC had just signed PRIOR to C.11 new 10+ year contracts? Well the BK judge threw all contracts out and UAL did an RFP. Now where are ACA and AWAC??

Once in BK any contracts you may have might as well be used to wipe ones @ss with!

Victor Meldrew said:
Doesn't mean $hit. Remember when UAL went C.11 and both ACA and AWAC had just signed PRIOR to C.11 new 10+ year contracts? Well the BK judge threw all contracts out and UAL did an RFP. Now where are ACA and AWAC??

Once in BK any contracts you may have might as well be used to wipe ones @ss with!

I think it was affirmed in Bk, as much as I wish you were right.

The contracts were affirmed by the BK court. Once they were DL collected $125,000,000 hold back of the total sale price. Not to say that DL couldn't go back to the court and try to throw it out based on new and current conditions, i.e. "Your Honor DL has approached MESA, CHQ, Freedom, etc about paying us to fly our routes, and they have agreed (I think we are at the bottom now), We think SKW/ASA are makin' to much money and we think they should pay us as well. This approach will certainly help improve our bottom line as it increases revenue and reduces cost at the same time."

All Skywest pilot, Go ahead and fly struck work and see where it gets you in life. It's just as bad as crossing the picket line and becoming a "scab".

goahead said:
All Skywest pilot, Go ahead and fly struck work and see where it gets you in life. It's just as bad as crossing the picket line and becoming a "scab".

Uh, I'm not Skywest, but I'm not aware of any airline that is currently on strike.

Not really fair to hate the Skywest pilot group just because their management is WAY better than every other regional, not to mention the fact that they seem to get much better deals w/o having a completely ineffectual union stealing $2k out of their pockets every year.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060823/BIZ01/608230327

A selected section from an article in today's Cincinnati Equirer....

A SHIFT IN FOCUS
The union leaders reacted after Delta said it would award 27 70-seat jets, as well as an undetermined number of 50-seaters flown by Comair, to the most competitive bidder.
Officials said the move was the next logical step in the Atlanta-based carrier's Chapter 11 restructuring, which until now has focused on its mainline operations. They declined to say how much they thought the rebidding would save the company.
Joe Kolshak, Delta's executive vice president of operations, said the company would choose the winning bidders by the end of the year. He said any reassigned aircraft would be switched over to a new operator over a transition period of less than 12 months.
Contracts would be awarded to the best, not the lowest, bidder, Kolshak said.

The Worst Idea Ever

greg52083 said:
DELTA can KISS MY ASS. They should rebid on themselves. They are the worst airline EVER! The whole JFK DASH operation was the worst idea ever. [snip]
The worst idea ever is to get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line."

Problem...

Here's the big problem that I see. The guy that said that SKYW will refuse to fly struck work...yes, most of you will (hopefully) but will everyone? No.

See, it shouldn't even be an option; I love how any time ANYONE mentions the 50/70/90 seat rate, the first thing I hear is "Look at my W2! Look at my W2! It's bigger than yours!" "It doesn't matter because my 50 seat rate is better than your 70/90 seat rate." Where does the lunacy end? What if management came to you and said "Umm...yeah. We're extending the 50 seat rate to 137 seats, and 737's are coming on the property! Isn't that great?" That, or the "Well, the same rate was only supposed to be for 18 months." How long ago was that 18 months? And you're telling me no one thought that negotiating those rates to 99 seats GUARANTEED that you WOULDN'T get anything larger than 70 seats?

If you can forgive all of this -- the blended rate, management's empty promises...the one thing that can't be forgiven is the "Will not fly struck work" clause that exists in 99% of the union airline contracts out there. Delta isn't stupid - they've been down this road with regional labor before. This is an honest question -- how much overlap between the SKYW delta flying and ASA delta flying is there? If there is none, then the issue is pretty clear cut. It's easy to separate who does what and what "struck work" is, and what isn't. It shouldn't even have to go this far, though. Right now, with no union, there is absolutely nothing but morals and ethics that dictate not flying struck work. And, worse than that, if a SKYW pilot refuses the route, there's no union mechanism in place to get his job back.

Hmm...get fired or fly the route? Technically SKYW isn't even union busting, because there is no union!

I often think that SKYW's place as the "most favored regional partner" is often due to the non-union status, especially after what happened with Comair in 2000.

Look, this isn't an attack on Skywest. I have friends there, many whom have been through several other failed airlines, and it does seem like a good place to work. Like it or not, though, this lack of union representation is really going to bite someone, and I think it's going to happen soon.

For heaven's sake, though, stop with the W2 comments. It's embarrassing. Just admit what happened - management made an 18 month promise and they broke it. Wow - your group is not the first nor will it be the last to be promised something and not see it come true. Is anyone at SKYW pursuing the 18 month thing from a legal standpoint? Or was it just some sort of "verbal" or "gentleman's" agreement? I ask because I really don't know.

Take care,
-brew3

Latest resources

Back