• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to Discontinue Hilton Head Operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hilton Head has not changed since the 70's when we flew in there as Air South. Those Beech 99's did the job. Even the terminal is the same.. Of course it is the one by the FBO..

I'm not sure when the last time you were in HXD. There is a new terminal, it was built about 10 years ago or so. It is on the west side of the field. A new FBO was build and the old terminal that was shared with the FBO was torn down.

The runway was lengthened and widened 4300' x 100'. There are several T-hangers as well. And of course they now have a control tower, not just the cabana that operated for 2 weeks during the golf & tennis tournaments.

Went in there in a G-III in '06. Runway goes by real fast.
The building we used for a terminal was still there.next to the FBO. Maybe gone now. I did not really get to see the new terminal, it was back in what seemed like a hollow. Watched a Dash abort a takeoff for some reason. That was interesting.
Those folks over there always wanted everything, but they did not want it in their backyard.

The runway was lengthened and widened 4300' x 100'.
That length is only for takeoff. Runway available for landing use is 4001 FT. with the displaced threshold. This is problem. The Saab can only land at around 25,000lbs with that length. This means fewer passengers especially when extra fuel is required. If we could use Flaps 35 for landing, that would help a bit, but too expensive to change the procedures. Bottom line, the Saab is not a good fit for Hilton Head and for Delta's future plans in general. That's why they WILL be phased out over the next 3 years.

Every passenger still does have the option to use SAV or HXD, so not sure what you mean by that.

You're right...they have the option to use HXD, as long as they want to fly on US Airways to and from CLT (airline) or have an airplane that can meet the performance requirements of that runway (bizav).

And a 50 minute drive is not that bad to get to an airport. Wahhhh I want a 10 minute drive instead of a 50 minute drive Waahhhh!!

But the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport isn't in Hilton Head; its not even the same state as Hilton Head. HXD provides convenience to the residents & visitors of Hilton Head Island, and I agree that there should be an associated increase in cost for that convenience...but that convenience shouldn't come at an increased operational risk for those who choose to utilize it

Why should people lengthen the runway for economic benefit if they don't want to? Nobody should force economic benefit on anyone. Obviously the majority do not want the airport lengthened, so if people don't like using it, they can go somewhere else. Some other island like HHH.

No, the majority of people on Hilton Head Island like the airport and would appreciate the increased safety a longer runway and precision approach would provide...and I'm sure they'd appreciate the increased airline service and destinations that a longer runway would allow.

Even if the runway isn't extended, removing some of the trees from the approach end of 21 would make operations safer and remove/reduce the displaced threshold there, allowing more runway to be available for landing and possibly allowing for a precision approach to 21.

There's really no reason to NOT do that...

...but you're right. If enough people want it, they'll get it...IF they can convince the politicians to buy off on it.

Yea I counted 42 one day when you guys were boarding. I flew the Dash 8 300's in and out a couple of times and it was tuff to get 40-42 on it out of HHH.

Our Dash 8 100's due really well (33pax), but the Mesaba Crew told me they could only take 19 pax out and 10 bags. I was wondering if that was even worth the trip.

Be nice now if we could go back to the days we had 14 flights a day from CLT-HHH. Those were the party days! 8 crews at the hotel = trouble!

Heyas,

I remember those days. The -100s would have a problem taking out 37 IF you needed an alternate, but other that that, and with the -200s, it was 37 in, 37 out, every time, all the time.

We used to fly out of the "hut" on the east side of the field. What hilarity that was. Eagle used to fly to RIC, but bailed out around 94 or so. GPExpress would fly the 99 to ATL, and had a crew base in HHH, but that folded when they did.

They used to say with what they were charging to go CLT-HHH, the break even pax load on the -8 was in the single digits.

Nu

"Delta flights -- operated by the regional carrier Mesaba -- can carry only a little more than half of the plane's capacity -- 18 passengers when landing and 23 when taking off, according to the airline's station closure plan."

More landing than taking off? Hmmmm....

or have an airplane that can meet the performance requirements of that runway (bizav).
What a concept!

But the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport isn't in Hilton Head; its not even the same state as Hilton Head.

Then we should have a damn airport in Rock Hill, SC so those poor bastards dont have to drive 30 minutes to CLT!

HXD provides convenience to the residents & visitors of Hilton Head Island, and I agree that there should be an associated increase in cost for that convenience...but that convenience shouldn't come at an increased operational risk for those who choose to utilize it

I don't see how there is an operational risk flying in and out of there...in a Dash 8 anyway. So what, you have to go missed on a LOC approach? Sure would be nice to get in but if enough passengers were inconvenienced by going to SAV, they would rattle the cages and get the runway lengthened.

Any other airline is welcome to put Dash's on those routes and compete.

kf4amu said:
I don't see how there is an operational risk flying in and out of there...in a Dash 8 anyway.

It should have occurred to me earlier that somebody flying for Piedmont, who stands to benefit from being the only carrier in the market, would have a myopic opinion like that...

It should have occurred to me earlier that somebody flying for Piedmont, who stands to benefit from being the only carrier in the market, would have a myopic opinion like that...

Don't go into HXD if its not safe. Don't continue the approach if its not safe.

And Piedmont won't benefit one bit. If anything we'll get another overnight or two, but I'm not counting on anything good happening that us pilots can see.

Latest resources

Back