• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to Discontinue Hilton Head Operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apply to Compass, and maybe someday you will be on the DL seniority list. If you don't, you will continue to watch your flying dwindle.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Why? I have about the same number in front of me at Mesaba for the flow up as I would at the bottom of the Compass list. And the way things are now sounding we also will be just a 76 jet operator within a couple years. That will be hard to staple Compass without us as well in that situation.

The folks that run the HXD airport board want to lengthen the runway, but they fight a MAJOR uphill battle with the freaking developers and landowners down there. They all love the convenience of the airport for their King Airs and Citations, but GOD FORBID bigger planes become frequent visitors there!

Hell, they can't even cut down a few trees on the N end of the island to put a freaking glideslope on the LOC 21...which would be a MAJOR improvement during the frequent ground fog they get there.

Short of extending the runway north to 4800ft+, at least cutting the freaking trees down and letting the full 4300' be available for landing on 21 would help...

Why? I have about the same number in front of me at Mesaba for the flow up as I would at the bottom of the Compass list. And the way things are now sounding we also will be just a 76 jet operator within a couple years. That will be hard to staple Compass without us as well in that situation.

IMO Compass has a better chance, since they are under our MEC umbrella already. We don't HAVE TO do anything, or we can push for something.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The folks that run the HXD airport board want to lengthen the runway, but they fight a MAJOR uphill battle with the freaking developers and landowners down there. They all love the convenience of the airport for their King Airs and Citations, but GOD FORBID bigger planes become frequent visitors there!

Big planes aren't needed there. THey have Savannah 20 miles away. If passengers wanna fly to Hilton Head, they can just pay a little extra premium for the convenience. I don't see a problem with that.

The people that live in HHH would beg to differ.

That would be a great new Delta slogan! "We're not in the business of getting everyone where they want to go"

I don't disagree but airlines are in the business to make $$ not just ferry people around the globe.

Just like Apple is not in the business of giving everyone a Mac or an iPhone. There is a premium for the product and if you can't make money the product goes bye bye.

I don't disagree but airlines are in the business to make $$ not just ferry people around the globe.

Just like Apple is not in the business of giving everyone a Mac or an iPhone. There is a premium for the product and if you can't make money the product goes bye bye.

Airline USED TO BE in the business of making money. They (at least the bigger ones) are now in the business of growing as large as possible as fast as possible so that they will be "too big to fail," and will become another ward of the state when they screw up. (By adding tons of INTL right before the biggest worldwide recession since the Great Depression-for instance.)

-Of course it is now all about the "synergies" which can be realized by screwing your employees, passengers, local communities and pretty much anyone else who you affect.

Well, fortunately I am senior enough to fly larger jets and to see the world on Delta's dime. But, if we staple Compass on our list, and then add larger Dashes onto their certificate, then that would solve a lot. It also would allow DL to monitor the training under our house, which is lacking with some regionals out there obviously. As far as LBB goes, I honestly will NEVER have to go there. Seniority is awesome.

Bye Bye--General Lee

YEP-

Damn lot of pilots at PanAm, Eastern, Braniff, etc., etc., etc. thought exactly the same thing.

-You better snap back into the real world, champ. The Delta we all knew is gone, the new guys ain't nothing like what you are accustomed to.

Hilton Head has not changed since the 70's when we flew in there as Air South. Those Beech 99's did the job. Even the terminal is the same.. Of course it is the one by the FBO..

Big planes aren't needed there. THey have Savannah 20 miles away.

You've evidently never driven between SAV and HXD. They're pretty close by air, but about 43 miles and 45-50 minutes apart by road.

And the "big planes" I'm talking about aren't just props and RJs; many bizjets are unable to use HXD due to their runway length and lack of a precision approach (be it ILS or LPV).

Would Delta be dropping the Saab service there if they could take a full boat in and out every time?

If passengers wanna fly to Hilton Head, they can just pay a little extra premium for the convenience. I don't see a problem with that.

I don't disagree with that...but there are artificial barriers in place by the NIMBYs there that not only limit the utility of the airport (the ability for passengers to have the OPTION to use HXD vs. SAV) but create operational issues for those who can use it and economic hardship for those who stand to benefit from things like fewer trees off the runway approach ends, a longer runway, and approach with a glideslope.

Every passenger still does have the option to use SAV or HXD, so not sure what you mean by that. And a 50 minute drive is not that bad to get to an airport. Wahhhh I want a 10 minute drive instead of a 50 minute drive Waahhhh!!

Why should people lengthen the runway for economic benefit if they don't want to? Nobody should force economic benefit on anyone. Obviously the majority do not want the airport lengthened, so if people don't like using it, they can go somewhere else. Some other island like HHH.

Latest resources

Back