• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to Discontinue Hilton Head Operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It should have occurred to me earlier that somebody flying for Piedmont, who stands to benefit from being the only carrier in the market, would have a myopic opinion like that...

Hmmm, I was also wondering about the operational risk at HHH? Seems to me if you just know the limitations of your airplane that you shouldn't have a problem flying into HHH.

We have been running Dash 8's out of there for many years with no issue. ASA had no problems with the ATR's in and out of there.

Tuffer landing there when the runway was only 75 feet wide, now with the added width its not even an adventure anymore on windy days.

Actually I gotta trip next week that gets me done at noon. Cold drinks at the beach followed up by 'Wild Wings' for dinner. Can't wait, it been too long.

Hmmm, I was also wondering about the operational risk at HHH? Seems to me if you just know the limitations of your airplane that you shouldn't have a problem flying into HHH.

You're 100% right about knowing the limitations of your airplane.

The problem is that many airplanes (Saabs, for example) are performance limited at HXD because of the available runway for landing, and those performance limitations have a financial impact. Sure your Dash or my CJ or a Cirrus or a King Air don't have any problem, but there are lots of other aircraft that are severely restricted because, even if the runway isn't lengthened, they won't take down the trees from the approach end of 21. This is true especially when wet, where having an extra 300' available for landing could make the difference between getting in and airborne holding to burn fuel or a divert.

The fact that there's no glideslope on the LOC 21 is another limiting factor for HXD because it, well, limits the airport's usefulness to you when dealing with low ceilings and/or fog which often hang juuuuuuuuuust over the island off the coast. Sure SAV is 10-15 minutes away by air, but wouldn't MANY operators (maybe even Piedmont) stand to gain both operationally and economically from a precision approach and/or no displaced threshold on 21?

wouldn't MANY operators (maybe even Piedmont) stand to gain both operationally and economically from a precision approach and/or no displaced threshold on 21?

Yes in a few cases every year sure, but apparently to the islanders, its not worth taking down trees etc to avoid the 45 minute drive after a diversion.

Plus, the carriers economic and operational benefits aren't even on the radar scope of those people. And why should they be?

You're 100% right about knowing the limitations of your airplane.

The problem is that many airplanes (Saabs, for example) are performance limited at HXD because of the available runway for landing, and those performance limitations have a financial impact. Sure your Dash or my CJ or a Cirrus or a King Air don't have any problem, but there are lots of other aircraft that are severely restricted because, even if the runway isn't lengthened, they won't take down the trees from the approach end of 21. This is true especially when wet, where having an extra 300' available for landing could make the difference between getting in and airborne holding to burn fuel or a divert.

The fact that there's no glideslope on the LOC 21 is another limiting factor for HXD because it, well, limits the airport's usefulness to you when dealing with low ceilings and/or fog which often hang juuuuuuuuuust over the island off the coast. Sure SAV is 10-15 minutes away by air, but wouldn't MANY operators (maybe even Piedmont) stand to gain both operationally and economically from a precision approach and/or no displaced threshold on 21?

True and I agree 100%, but that isn't our problem. Its the problem of the airline and what aircraft they are willing to operate in there. Sure the Dash is was built for that and who knows how long Piedmont will be around. I just don't see the Island folks doing anything about it.

There are only a few days out of the year that the weather gets to bad and we have to divert to SAV.

Now if someone steps up and get some Q400's (looking at its Performance Data. 500 miles or shorter it can carrier 70 pax on a 3,700' runway) that plane would do some damage in and out of HHH.

Bottom line at Hilton Head if an airline wants to operate they are gonna have to be willing to deal with what they got. And from what I have heard from US Airways folks HHH is in the top 3 yields for US Airways. Definitely a money maker for Airways.

It was the top money making station in the ASA system. More than Key West or any other domestic or even international station. What a shame....

Latest resources

Back